Motorized fiberglass? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2012, 11:22 AM   #21

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Frankly, Matt brought up one of my biggest pet peeves! RV/Rv-ing being used to describe travel trailers. (yes I use this word to describe traveling in my Casita, only because it's the only word that most understand here in the states as traveling in a trailer) but don't believe my Casita is a Rv! There is no motor in the Casita, it's not a vehicle! A bigger pet peeve, the use of the word "Coach" to described a travel trailer? The word "coach" is used to describe large (40ft plus) Motor Homes, RV's, Bus...... Usually in the million dollar range. NOT, a bumper pull trailer!

Having seen this thread since the beginning, I didn't respond because I really don't know how I feel. I know how I felt when I found this forum. Excited that I found a great bunch of people with like interest in a little trailer. But I have also seen, non molded members join in the last few years and they are welcomed and mention their SOB's often . What's the difference of a molded vehicle owner being a member? That I can't answer, because I haven't figured out the non-molded SOB thing.

But because I have an issue with calling a molded fiberglass travel trailer, a RV, I can understand a "molded" motor homer wanting to join due to the name of the forum. The thing I think will be difficult for any molded vehicle member is, it's not a big group that will answer questions. Of course for those of us, who have owned RV's ( stick built, Recreational vehicles) key word, Vehicle! We might be able to answer some things. But doubt everything. Might be a lonely member........ But get the "molded" thing..................

I love how, when most mis-guided SOB's join, everyone try's to guide them to a better forum option for their needs. Some stay because they feel comfortable despite being an SOB. So I have to wonder why not someone who does have a expanded focus (the motor being the expanded!) ????????

If the forum focus has grown to include non-molded why not "molded expanded"? I don't know! Liked the pureness of the focus when I joined, not sure how I feel about non-molded, but question why not "molded expanded"............

Gee, I got to work on having a stand instead of being on the fence ! Well, some subjects I have a stand ............ But this one, I am gonna waffle!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:02 PM   #22

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Motorized Fiberglass

"Motorized Fiberglass"?

Don't Corvette owners have their own clubs and fora already?

On Edit: Actually since Corvettes are used more for FUN than for simple transportation, I could make a case that they are also "recreational vehicles", and hence meet the definition of being a (motorized) molded fiberglass recreational vehicle.
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:23 PM   #23

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Well, the tagline to the title "FiberglassRV" is "Molded, Lightweight RV Resource". Not sure adding an engine and heavier chassis would keep it inside the description of being lightweight.

Our moulded fiberglass trailers are definitely RV's, and most definitely a vehicle by description. I tend to lump all Recreational Vehicles together, but with multiple categories, such as where the bulk of us fit "Moulded Fiberglass Trailers". It is a definite class of its own. Again, anything motorized would not fit into this description, if this was the definition that the forum wants to function under. Maybe the tagline to the forum name should be revised to "Moulded, Lightweight Trailer Resource".
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:06 PM   #24

Name: Matt
Trailer: Hall GTC
California
May be. On the other hand, all molded (or moulded as you say up that-a- way) coachwork bodies, and "coach work" is what they are, that are mounted to a rigid steel frame suspended on springs of some kind are essentially all alike to a lesser or greater degree. Of course a glass body mounted on a truck chassis has additional issues and considerations and is considerably more complex by nature, but so what? Airstream has made a lot of trailers over the years, but they also have made some remarkable versions mounted on truck chassis - and they are allowed in the Airstream forums without question.

In my particular case, considering my 40 years experience with fiberglass structures (boats, cars, motorhomes, trailers, wind turbine blades, and etc., and 50 years in electrics ( I also built trailers somewhere in there), I think that I might be able to help YOU guys at least as much as you help me. Perhaps.

Blast shields up!

Matt
windgooroo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:20 PM   #25

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
"

On Edit: Actually since Corvettes are used more for FUN than for simple transportation, I could make a case that they are also "recreational vehicles", and hence meet the definition of being a (motorized) molded fiberglass recreational vehicle.

Believe me, when I was 16 and my Mom had a corvette, I used it as a recreational vehicle! So yup, I would second that, they are recreational vehicles..
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:24 PM   #26

Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper
I see no reason a molded fiberglass (small) m/h wouldn't be included. they are MOLDED fiberglass, they have water tanks, water pumps, black tanks, gray tanks, lights, seats,etc, etc, etc. so a lot of simularities. Discusions of NON-MOLDED fiberglass units are included quite often. Personally I'd prefer to hear about MOLDED units of anykind.

Just my 2 cents.

Art
artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:53 PM   #27

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Maybe we all come on a little strong when we think we see a turf war brewing. Matt agrees with a good bit of what other members have said so how's bout we give back all the goats and call it a day. Maybe the "modistraters" would be willing to take under consideration the potential desirability/popularity of self-propelled recreational vehicles and the possibility of a dedicated subforum for same. In the meantime old FGRV should get to keep its call sign cause altho a barge is a barge and a pushboat is a pushboat it's the lashup that counts. If it's used for "recreational" puposes and it goes down the road, I think we could abstain from quibbling about the hinge in the middle. Yeh, there are RV campsites and trailer sites and tent sites also. And folks who want "a real RV" such as the lady referenced in the old thread. Could be that having one is the long way round to appreciating a little cocoon tent or a shelter half or (the Golden Mean) a nice snug little egg.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:59 PM   #28

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
This is how Social Knowledge, the owner of this site, describes FiberglassRV:

"Fiberglass RV is the leading online community for owners of lightweight molded fiberglass trailers. A vibrant forum, active classified section, trailer registry, expansive photo gallery all make Fiberglass RV the most active community in this niche."

You'll find that here: RV-TravelTrailer | Social Knowledge
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:11 PM   #29

British Columbia
AND - we gotta be careful, too. The only MoHo I ever salivated over is the old Travco Dodge - an Art Deco/Atomic Age design that came in sizes up to 32 feet, and was an aerodynamic MOLDED FIBERGLASS body on a steel chassis - which sounds a LOT like the kind of construction in our eggs!

(now if I could find one of those and pull out that 318 and stuff in a Cummins diseasel.....)

Old 05-23-2012, 06:37 PM   #30

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
"Fiberglass RV is the leading online community for owners of lightweight molded fiberglass trailers."

What happens when I get a 25 foot Bigfoot a few years down the road? That's not going to fit lightweight.

This is a difficult call, as I feel both ways on this subject. I think it would be interesting to see a re-build of a fiberglass motor home, but I also like that the subject mater is narrowed down to only fiberglass trailers at this website.

I guess I'm fine either way, so there's a great compromise.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #31

There's a Vintage RV forum at IRV2: Vintage RV's - iRV2 Forums

there's a vintage motorhome forum here: Discussion Forum - Good Old RVs
Old 05-23-2012, 07:00 PM   #32

California
I like Jack's assesment and "subforum" idea. I've never felt that over-insulation does much but limit access to broadenend horizons, so to speak. I also think that the Fiberglass RV site handle is so general that it would be a wee bit of a shame to limit it, all past uses of it not withstanding. The Hall GTC site I belong to is very technically developed but, since there were only 150 of them built to begin with, there isn't a whole heck of a lot going on there but tech discussion.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:44 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by windgooroo1 View Post
I like Jack's assesment and "subforum" idea. <snip> I also think that the Fiberglass RV site handle is so general that it would be a wee bit of a shame to limit it.
If someone is allowed to say they really like something because it benefits them, does that mean someone else is allowed to say they really DO NOT LIKE that same thing?

Matt, you say there were approx 150 of your brand built. You could take every Lil Snoozy + Parkliner + Eco + El Macho + Land 'n Sea + Oliver + Geographic + EggCamper + The Egg + Genesis + Miti-Lite + Minit + others and you wouldn't have 150.

There's a condition called Social Exclusion. It's where no one feels any harm when they're included, but when they're excluded they want the 'included' bunch to change to include them. It happens across all manner of social organizations from hotrod groups to quilters. Hey, this is a Model T club, but I have a Model A so YOU change for ME.... and on and on and around it goes.

Matt, since this is a privately owned site and it really doesn't matter what the members want or don't want.. in the long run. I suggest you contact Social Knowledge directly and pitch your idea to them. It will be the owners decision.. not ours: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/sendmessage.php
Old 05-23-2012, 08:40 PM   #34

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I believe you're allowed. I always hate it when guys try to sell model 12s in the For Sale area on doublegunshop. IF this is to be a turf war for whatever great "benefit" may acrue to the combatants, good luck to you both.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:19 PM   #35

British Columbia
PEACE out!

Hey, hey, hey WHOAA!!!!

If someone posts about wanting info on fixing the cracked fiberglass on his RV of some brand or other - even if it only happens to be towable when it refuses to start - is that really the end of the world?

There are enough of us on here who are adults to be able to whistle up a moderator to delete a thread (or a post) when somebody wants advice on whether or not a "Brand X" oil filter is good enough for the engine on his/her Moho, but otherwise - in general, I agree. We should not be talking about boats, motorcycles, quads, aircraft, etc (or mohos) on here if the site is intended to be for owners of f/g TRAILERS.

That said, I keep seeing references to "such & such" marine supply, I keep seeing discussions of various cars & trucks, I keep seeing posts about Dogs (I just went back re-checked, and yes there are about a zillion kennel-club - related sites, too) - so I guess we shouldn't allow that as a topic either!

OR we can all try to be adults at least once in a while and promote the common community of folks who prefer cast/molded f/g over the flexy-, "prone to leaks" versions of whatever our chosen escape pods happen to be.

If this means pointing others to sites that are more in line with their interests - yes - by all means - but we shouldn't chase them away either!

OK - My Nomex Flame Suit is ON!
Old 05-23-2012, 09:51 PM   #36

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
I say let 'em in. The key words for me here are "molded" and "fiberglass". I don't give a hoot as to whether it's a motorized recreational vehicle or not. People who own molded fiberglass RVs could bring valuable experience and knowledge to the group. And if the main criteria here are small and lightweight, anyone who moves up to a larger trailer or fifth wheel, like the Bigfoot 25' trailer, say, would have to leave the group, no? And aren't there members who don't even own any kind of fiberglass RV yet, people who are shopping for a unit or who are here just to gather information? And what about all the discussions on renovations, modifications, installing solar panels, camp cooking, etc. None of those topics are the exclusive concern of those who own trailers as opposed to motorhomes. I'd say as long as the thing you go camping in is made out of molded fiberglass you should qualify for membership. The more the merrier I say.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:27 PM   #37

California
What the?

So far I've only seen one reeeeaaaly negative response, so I feel fairly comfortable in responding to it.......

I am NOT trying to crack the fortress walls of some kind of an exclusive club here, though that's definitely vibe I'm getting from one of you guys, what I'm TRYING to do is offer my considerable knowledge of things made of fiber reinforced plastics. I don't feel at all that I'm an outsider trying to get in and I find it amusing that that point of view surfaced at all. This is something I actually get paid for in commercial circles (sometimes), but that's mainly because of my father's having been a famous guy in the early fiberglass industry, and my years in the field as well.

Why am I going to all this trouble? Good question! My thought is that an expanded inclusion would be beneficial for many of you, maybe, and that if someone isn't interested in the discussions they don't have to read them. By golly. Ah; the smell of styrene in the morning!
Old 05-23-2012, 10:35 PM   #38

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (Previously 2004 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel)
"Before buying my MH in 2009 I had looked seriously at Casitas, Burros and a number of other trailers, but I just couldn't find one that had all the stuff I wanted after a lifetime of tent camping. Heavy insulation, a convertible dinette, a pretty big bed aft that can be left made up and a bathroom with a stand-up seperate shower are what sold me."

It's interesting that you couldn't find a molded fiberglass trailer that had these features. My Bigfoot has them all. And there are lots of Bigfoots for sale.

I'm not sure what I think about this discussion. Having owned a motorhome (a Bigfoot, no less), I can tell you my issues with it involved primarily the engine and that's what I spent my internet time on. I feel relieved to be no longer be dealing with that and to be back here focusing on a simpler way of camping.
Karen T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:54 PM   #39

California
Bigfoots (feet?) are nifty, all right. But no matter how you look at it, if it rolls something has to make it do so other than gravity. So no matter how you roll, there's an engine involved, and that means it's all the same thing in the end. Towables are great fun, but what I really wanted to be able to do was to just pull off the road and crawl in back to take a nap without going outside. Ha ha ha. Really, that's how I eneded up with a 22' mini-motorhome instead of a trailer. That and I don't like not being able to see where I'm backing at night. Like I said way back at the start of this thread, I'm no fan of big MH's just because of the space they use up and all the resources used so some guy never has to leave it to actually camp.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:51 AM   #40

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool A Classic MH?

Spotted on our winter trip in Chloride, AZ:
Attached Thumbnails
GEDC1316.jpg  

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
el macho