Please delete SOLD listings - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2020, 05:59 PM   #1
dgb

Name: Doreen
Trailer: Cadet n126d
Tennessee
Registry
Please delete SOLD listings

Could you please delete the sold listings from the classified map?
dgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 06:29 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Not only that, but people will routinely sign up, post their trailer for sale, and never return. It can be very irritating for shoppers.

To below, they don't "know" they are sold unless the person posting comes back and updates it. Of course, I have seen some ads where the seller does update with the clear words "Its sold", and then someone posts "Is this still for sale?".

Several forums I contribute to use two simple methods: 1. If you want to sell, you need to pay a small membership fee. 2. Sellers have to come back and update their listings regularly, someone as simple as "its still for sale" is enough to keep it on the for sale list.

I see a lot of for sale listings, where the original poster has a total of 1 posts on this forum (which is their for sale ad). Molded FG trailers are in short supply, so they probably sell their trailer fast and neglect to pull down or update all of their listings scattered throughout the internet.

Since these trailers sell so fast, easy enough to just delete them after one week (or two max), if the seller has not come back with an update. I sold my last trailer (Casita) in four hours, could have sold it even faster if I was willing to hold it. These trailers sell fast.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 06:30 PM   #3
dgb

Name: Doreen
Trailer: Cadet n126d
Tennessee
Registry
I would think that an admin could go in and delete the sold posts?
dgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:08 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgb View Post
I would think that an admin could go in and delete the sold posts?

They'd have to have been informed that they have been sold.
Perhaps, if members of the forums were willing to pay a subscription fee, then FGRV could pay somebody to do that work.
The moderators are volunteers and work for nothing.
Old 10-28-2020, 07:27 PM   #5

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
there is value in the listings even if they are never marked as sold. It still gives people a baseline of what various trailers are being sold for. Plus it is a bit of "tire kicking" fun. One person's irritation can be another person's fun. Of course the opposite is also true.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 03:45 AM   #6

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
I'm in favor of keeping them, but maybe they could be moved to a different category so they wouldn't show up as for sale. Maybe a category of unknown or inactive where we could still view them for historical purposes.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:13 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I thought the new classifieds did expire after a certain length of time, at least I vaguely recall some mention of that when the new system was being introduced. Of course, most will sell long before any expiration date, but there’s nothing that can be done about sellers that fail to report a sale.

I‘d be curious to hear from a moderator about whether there is such a provision. It wouldn’t be hard to program into the software, but of course that costs money if it isn’t already set up that way. I agree it would be unreasonable to expect volunteer moderators to manually move every ad to the archives after a certain number of days.

Social media is messy. If you think this site is bad, try listing or buying a trailer on Facebook!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 10:32 AM   #8
Administrator

Trailer: Argosy
Registry
The ads do expire after a time and disappear from the map. Sellers (and admins) can also mark their ads as "sold" and they will fall off the map after a couple of days. The real issue here is that sellers don't do this AND they dont notify us that the rig is no longer available.

You can report a problem ad (there's a link at the bottom) and we can take action if needed.
Old 10-30-2020, 01:28 PM   #9

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
The ads do expire after a time and disappear from the map. Sellers (and admins) can also mark their ads as "sold" and they will fall off the map after a couple of days. The real issue here is that sellers don't do this AND they dont notify us that the rig is no longer available.

You can report a problem ad (there's a link at the bottom) and we can take action if needed.
I marked mine sold and it has not dropped off the map. Are you sure that happens? I hate to delete it as for trailers like mine that are no longer made it may be the only way someone can estimate value.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sold