RSS Feed? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2006, 07:59 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Is there supposed to be an RSS news feed associated with the forum? Some forum pages (not all levels) have an RSS icon, but when I view the forum with Firefox and drag the RSS icon to the Wizz RSS reader extension, I get a "The dropped URL seems to be invalid" error.

Although Wizz RSS works for me with other sites, it could still be a configuration or user problem or my part - or the RSS icon could be unintentionally present on the page.

Not an urgent problem: I was just looking into the use of RSS, noticed here, and gave it a try.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 11:31 PM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Quote:
Is there supposed to be an RSS news feed associated with the forum? Some forum pages (not all levels) have an RSS icon, but when I view the forum with Firefox and drag the RSS icon to the Wizz RSS reader extension, I get a "The dropped URL seems to be invalid" error.
RSS is working fine for other folks. Good Luck.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 06:29 PM   #3

Now I have this figured out... in RSS feeds offered from other sites, the RSS button links to the feed, and I assumed that's how it would work. Here in this IPB rendition, I need to click the button...

Name:   RSSbutton.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  2.3 KB

to get a popup labeled "Fiberglass RV", and that has the feed link on it:

Name:   RSSpopup.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  3.2 KB

Strange, but it works... I only mention this here in case someone else has made the same erroneous assumption and is thus having the same difficulty.

For those who like the manual approach, the feed link is http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...ct=rssout&id=1
Old 01-24-2006, 01:30 AM   #4

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
For those of us who are totally clueless, what is RSS and what does it do?

I've seen the button but never figured a use for it.
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 08:12 AM   #5
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
>>to get a popup labeled "Fiberglass RV", and that has the feed link on it

Same thing happens if you want to edit one of your posts (except the choices are "Full Edit" or "Quick Edit" and I'd call it a drop down menu instead of a popup).

But it's also only true with some browsers.

Which I point out by way of warning others that YMMV.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 08:35 AM   #6

Okay, I finally got up nerve to mash RSS then Fiberglass RV from the pulldown from this thread. All I got was a new page containing the following HTML code (I backed out):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1" ?>
- <rss version="2.0">
- <channel>
<title>Fiberglass RV</title>
<description>Forum Threads</description>
<link>http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.php</link>
<pubDate>Tue, 24 Jan 2006 06:30:27 -0800</pubDate>
<ttl>20</ttl>
- <item>
- <title>
- <![CDATA[ What changes would you want in Scamp's newest models?
]]>
</title>
<link>http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.php?showtopic=18362</link>
- <description>
- <![CDATA[ Out the fires, the Phoenix. Maybe that should be the name for a new model, once Scamp rebuilds its factory and starts anew. I'm quite happy with my 20-year-old Scamp 16, so there's little I would change. But this is the ideal opportunity for any basic or detail changes to be considered, isn't it? Let's save the company's market research budget and volunteer our own ideas.

I've already seen that beginning, with some talk about replacing the curved door with a straight, Casita-style one. Call me a traditionalist on that one. Yes, I know, I have a 1/4-inch gap at the bottom of mine, too, but that's easy to weather seal. And how tight do you want a trailer to be? Usually you're in nice weather or you're running a heater, when ventilation is demanded. The curved door completes the retro/futuro/aero motif of these trailers, and effectively adds headroom, too. A straight door wouldn't be the same, IMHO.

There is one change I'd enjoy. If I lived within a days' drive of the factory, I might have had them do it already. I'm finding a 48" bed is just too narrow for two not-so-narrow sleepers. I'd get by with a little less countertop, though. So by narrowing the cabinets by 6-10 inches and giving that space to the bed/dinette, I'd be happier. This change would be much simpler than adding overall length to the 16', and if they did that, the added weight would put it out of my league anyway.

What other ideas do you have to offer?
]]>
</description>
<pubDate>Mon, 23 Jan 2006 22:03:12 -0800</pubDate>
<guid isPermaLink="false">18362</guid>
</item>
- <item>
<title>OK, I need a heater. But where to put it?</title>
<link>http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.php?showtopic=18361</link>
- <description>
- <![CDATA[ I call my 16' Scamp "The Skimp," because it lacks most of the options. There's no furnace, but to make this new acquisition more enjoyable and help kick off the camping season early, I do need some kind of heater. (I'd have to drive several hundred miles to camp much below 4,000 feet above sea level.)

I don't want the cost or the DC power demands of the standard forced-air furnace. I've heard one of those roaring inside a pop-up, and it's no match for the sounds of the woods. That leads me to the Olympic Wave catalytic gas heaters. They're on off-season sale, so now's the time to pick one up. I'm unsure about the next step, though.

Having never used any cat heaters, I don't know where to install it. I've read that it works by radiant transmission, and it operates best within lines of sight. But does that mean that any part of the trailer not facing the front of the heater receives no benefit?

And how hot does the front of an Olympic Wave get? If it's a burn hazard, that dictates placement, too.

Trying to consider the possible locations, moving clockwise from the door, I see these:
1) The bulkhead beside the door, about elbow level, facing rearwards, where most of you have a closet and I have a countertop (This puts it out of the way, with little chance of accidental skin contact, but that side isn't plumbed for gas. And the direct rays won't reach the front bunks.)
2) Exterior wall, at either corner of the rear, between windows. (This would be ugly and awkward to hang... and a burn hazard? But it beams out to the whole trailer interior.)
3) Exterior wall, to left of the stove window. (This is easy to plumb, and near center of interior. Does that matter? But the most useful kitchen countertop would have to be cleared to use it.)
4) Exterior wall, opposite door, where many of you have a side bathroom (Easy to plumb, semi-out-of-the-way, but faces only the bunk and door.)
5) Hung over the front window, facing backwards (This gives good line of sight to the entire interior. It would require hooks in the ceiling and a long gas line, however, and I'd hate to lose the upper bunk as an indoor storage shelf for clothes, etc.)

I'd also consider a portable like the Coleman Black Cat. Cheaper to buy, but more expensive to burn those small cartridges. And it seems like a greater fire hazard, easy to tip over, etc. Where would you put it? In a metal trash can on the floor, facing up?

This is about as baffling as finding a location for a Prodigy under the dash of my Forester. I never found a really satisfactory answer for that one! All advice is welcomed...

]]>
</description>
<pubDate>Mon, 23 Jan 2006 21:49:25 -0800</pubDate>
<guid isPermaLink="false">18361</guid>
</item>
- <item>
<title>For sale Scamp 16ft deluxe Morro Bay RV</title>
<link>http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.php?showtopic=18360</link>
- <description>
- <![CDATA[ 1990 16 foot Scamp Deluxe for sale at Morro Bay RV & Marine in Morro Bay, CA.
sign says $5,500. Mike

]]>
</description>
<pubDate>Mon, 23 Jan 2006 16:39:27 -0800</pubDate>
<guid isPermaLink="false">18360</guid>
</item>
- <item>
<title>new Scamp hat</title>
<link>http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.php?showtopic=18357</link>
- <description>
- <![CDATA[ The end of last year the owner of Scamp gave me permission to design and add a Scamp version to my embroidered fiberglass trailer hats. I just got it done and added to my Boler blog for those who would like one.
<a href="http://www.artechweb.com/boler.html" target="_blank">http://www.artechweb.com/boler.html</a>
the big photos are at the bottom of the page where they can be ordered
<a href='http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=1338'>
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...=1338</a>
]]>
</description>
<pubDate>Mon, 23 Jan 2006 14:53:07 -0800</pubDate>
<guid isPermaLink="false">18357</guid>
</item>
- <item>
- <title>
- <![CDATA[ One man's football fantasy!
]]>
</title>
<link>http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.php?showtopic=18356</link>
- <description>
- <![CDATA[ Yes Ron, my husband is beside himself. From Pittsburgh and a devoted Steeler fan, a resident of Seattle for 15 years now years and a devoted Seahawk fan, his dream came true yesterday!

Although it will be interesting to see who he really wants to win at the Superbowl.....there will be no living in this house for the next two weeks YEESCH!
]]>
</description>
<pubDate>Mon, 23 Jan 2006 11:57:55 -0800</pubDate>
<guid isPermaLink="false">18356</guid>
</item>
- <item>
<title>eBay Tail Lights</title>
<link>http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.php?showtopic=18354</link>
- <description>
- <![CDATA[ 7 inch round tail lights
]]>
</description>
<pubDate>Sun, 22 Jan 2006 19:42:58 -0800</pubDate>
<guid isPermaLink="false">18354</guid>
</item>
- <item>
<title>Picked up my Scamp</title>
<link>http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.php?showtopic=18353</link>
- <description>
- <![CDATA[ Well I just got back from Mobile where I picked up a '91 Scamp 13'. I spent the night in it last night and it's pretty sweet. It has three standard 110v outlets on it and I thought I could use them from the 12v battery for instance to power my laptop or a small appliance for a little while. I guess I was wrong. Is there any way I can use the 110v outlets from the 12v battery (I assume an inverter)? But I also want to use shore power at campsites for the 110v outlets. Is there a switch or something I can install that will let me choose where the power to the 110v outlets comes from? Where would I tap into this in my Scamp. BTW it towed great with the Nissan Quest. Thanks again.
]]>
</description>
<pubDate>Sun, 22 Jan 2006 18:48:04 -0800</pubDate>
<guid isPermaLink="false">18353</guid>
</item>
- <item>
<title>RSS Feed?</title>
<link>http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.php?showtopic=18352</link>
- <description>
- <![CDATA[ Is there supposed to be an RSS news feed associated with the forum? Some forum pages (not all levels) have an RSS icon, but when I view the forum with Firefox and drag the RSS icon to the Wizz RSS reader extension, I get a "The dropped URL seems to be invalid" error.

Although Wizz RSS works for me with other sites, it could still be a configuration or user problem or my part - or the RSS icon could be unintentionally present on the page.

Not an urgent problem: I was just looking into the use of RSS, noticed here, and gave it a try.
]]>
</description>
<pubDate>Sun, 22 Jan 2006 17:59:47 -0800</pubDate>
<guid isPermaLink="false">18352</guid>
</item>
- <item>
<title>wanted canopy</title>
<link>http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.php?showtopic=18351</link>
- <description>
- <![CDATA[ where can i find the old style canopy that slides in the chanel on the trailers?? i would like the roll up one but they are way to much for me on a fixed income any help would be great i need one that is 10-12 foot long

thanks Dan
]]>
</description>
<pubDate>Sun, 22 Jan 2006 15:33:36 -0800</pubDate>
<guid isPermaLink="false">18351</guid>
</item>
- <item>
- <title>
- <![CDATA[ 13'Scamp For Sale
]]>
</title>
<link>http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.php?showtopic=18350</link>
- <description>
- <![CDATA[ First the technical stuff;

1983 Scamp 13’ Travel Trailer. Good condition. In the last two years has had the following work;

•New 2200lb Dexter axle with brakes on 2" lift & all new wheels & tires (including spare). Tires are 175/80ST13 Rated C, so should be good for 50,000 miles
•Trailer coupler re-wired to six pin with connections for brakes & charging
•New hand-pump faucet, tubing & waste water drain fitted.
•New City water fill installed - this is not the cheap Scamp plastic part but a proper pressure regulated filtered unit.
•New swivel trailer jack
•Wind down stabilizer jacks installed at rear.
•Spare tire mount reinforced
•Roof vent resealed
•New interior 12V lighting installed
•Exterior rivets/caps replaced & interior acorn nuts replaced (this week)
•Entry step area reinforced

Prior to our purchase the previous owner had completely re-upholstered the interior & had a RV dealer install a wall mount AC unit & new cook-top with gas piping & ice box. I checked the AC unit & they have plumbed a drain into the wheel well.

When we got the camper the board to which the table mounts had pretty well disintegrated. Most likley from water leakage at the bottom of the rear window seal & condensation accumulation. I have replaced the original piece of chipboard with a double laminate of marine plywood glass bonded into place of the original. (This is much stronger than the original) I also resealed across the bottom of the window & have verified that the camper is watertight. In the pictures you will notice that the insulation in this area does not match - I could not get hold of '80's spec ensolite but this stuff seems to match OK & can be painted any colour.

Now the more interesting stuff;

We have used the camper for three "proper" trips in the two years it has been with us. Firstly a two week trip to Florida where we visited Key West & the Everglades. On the way down we stopped at Long Pine Key campground - this is a must do as the sites all back onto the ocean for a spectacular view at breakfast. In the everglades we got to laugh at the people in tents trying to cook & eat outside with all the mosquitoes whilst we sat in comfort (this was our first camper & previously it would have been us in one of the tents...). We crossed the Tamiami trail & saw more 'gators than you could shake a stick at. Then best of all Tampa Bay Power Station. Sounds a bit odd but thay have lots of Manatees!

<a href='http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=1324'>
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...lt;/a><br />
Next up was a week in the Shenandoah where we saw rain, mist, rain & Bears! Then our last week away was to the Smokies, another beautiful area. No bears this time but we did see Elk.

<a href='http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=1323'>
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...lt;/a><br />
We have really enjoyed exploring the Southeast in our little Scamp but we now have a new addition to the family & a new adventure planned. So sadly it is time to say good-bye. We will be moving back to England in the summer & before then we want to spend three months doing a proper road trip; Grand Teton, Yosemite, Yellowstone, Crater Lake, The Pacific Ocean, that kind of thing. Our son will be six months old when we start so I guess he won't remember much but we should have some amazing pictures in the family album.

& Finally the nitty gritty;

I am asking $4,150 OBO. I consider this a reasonable price for the condition of the camper & the work that has been done on it - this camper is ready for somebody to hook up & just go. All the "Big Stuff" has been recently replaced so there is a long & hopefully happy life ahead for this little unit.

Located in Durham, NC. email: graham_redman@netzero.net or call 919-459-1246 (daytime) 919-401-4310 (eves).

]]>
</description>
<pubDate>Sun, 22 Jan 2006 14:57:08 -0800</pubDate>
<guid isPermaLink="false">18350</guid>
</item>
</channel>
</rss>
Old 01-24-2006, 09:06 AM   #7
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Morgan, Check out XML.com What is RSS?
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 12:29 PM   #8

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
<span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">RSS = Rich Site Summary / Really Simple Syndication</span>
is a medthod to syndicate your site content. This is done by creating an XML
document which summarizes specific site content such as news, blog posts or
comments and forum threads.

A small hand held computer, like a Black Berry, can receive the RSS feed.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 01:15 PM   #9

Thanks, guys. That's way more than I needed to know. The important thing for me to know is, "I don't need no stinking RSS."
Old 01-24-2006, 01:42 PM   #10

Trailer: 2002 21.5 ft Bigfoot / 2003 Chevy Duramax 4x4
If you use FireFox, there's an extension/plugin called "Sage" that lets FireFox render RSS feeds correctly and conveniently. There's also scads of other free RSS viewers out there.

For my money, the Invision board software works so nicely that RSS is not much of a plus here. If you want to keep tabs on a number of news or other frequently updating sites, RSS is really handy.
Bill Abbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 07:09 PM   #11

Yes, the "popup" is really more like a drop-down (it's actually a one-item menu); sorry if I wasn't clear - that's why I put in the pictures.

I have used both Internet Explorer 6.0 with a randonly chosen RSS reader called SharpReader, and Firefox 1.5 with an equally random RSS extension (Wizz RSS 2.0.6). In each case, the browser does not understand the RSS content (because RSS feeds are not web pages) - it needs to be handed to an RSS reader (such as by dragging that "Fiberglass RV" button into a reader window). Today I tried Mozilla 1.7.12 and Netscape 8.0.4 (both with Wizz RSS) and both work as well. Netscape even offers to connect to the Fiberglass RV feed without needing to find the "RSS" button.

Also in all cases, the RSS and Edit buttons work fine. I notice that they are done using a Javascript function to build a menu, so I would not expect them to work if javascript is not enabled in the browser (YMMV again), an option which some may choose for security or performance reasons. Even if the button and menu don't work, the address can be directly entered or copied in most readers, so you can still get the channel feed. By the way, the Edit functions are quite convenient and that's how I normally fix the typos I notice after I have posted.

As I understand the intent of RSS, it is a service "pushed" from the server so that your client software (the reader on your computer or Blackberry or phone or toaster or whatever...) shows you the "new" stuff without you needing to check (as you would need to refresh the regular forum web page). It's better suited to stock quotes and similar information than trailer discussion posts, but if you really want to stay on top of what's happening here, the Fiberglass RV RSS feed works just fine. Hopefully we have all learned a bit, some of us have found a cool new feature of FiberglassRV.com, and not too much of anyone's time was wasted!
Old 01-24-2006, 10:41 PM   #12

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
It shows up just fine on my toaster.

It's the microwave I am having troubles with.

oh, and the RSS option does NOT show up on my blackberry, btw. It's not something I would use, so I didn't bother to check until just now.

That low fi is cool tho!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote