Search assistance - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2013, 01:53 PM   #1
MJH

Name: Mark
Trailer: looking for 16' Scamp/Casita
South Dakota
Search assistance

I am searching for information about how folks have installed A/C in their units.

When I use the search option, it shows all the threads not just items relating to "A/C" or "air conditioners" or "Air conditioner installation".

Any idea what I might need to do to narrow the search results?

Thanks.
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:58 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
When you use the search function on the drop down menu use the bottom option box only - its google - will work much better.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:00 PM   #3
MJH

Name: Mark
Trailer: looking for 16' Scamp/Casita
South Dakota
Thanks. That was exactly what I needed to know. ;-)
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:13 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJH View Post
I am searching for information about how folks have installed A/C in their units.

Thanks.
My 86 had it mounted in the back window and it was horrible. After my renovation it will be in the front closet. There are several ideas shown on the threads. One person vented out the bottom, another out the side and the new Casitas vent out the front. I havent decided on how I will vent it yet.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:19 AM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
You can additionally go to some of the vintage camper sites, which also deal with the same issue of having an older camper that was never set up for AC on the roof. Some of their ideas will be adaptable to our eggs.

The google box is the fastest way to search this forum. And now that warmer weather is here, you'll be seeing more a/c postings in the 'modification' section also.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Mark, as you profile indicates your still looking for a trailer and you probably already know this but its important to note that if the trailer didnt come from the factory with a roof mounted AC you probably should not install one up there. They do extra reinforcement of roofs at the factory in order to hold the weight of the AC.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:01 AM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool A/c

I understand that some of the later models just build in the A/C strengthening on all units, but definitely check what it entails and inspect your unit for it.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:17 AM   #8

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
Mark
The last owner of my Boler tried to install one on the roof and yes the roof cracked. Maybe that is why I got a great deal on my egg! So be careful if you go that route. When I did my search on putting a a/c in a egg I wasn't happen with what I saw for me. Window units take away the windows or space where ever you put them. And let us not forget about the noise. Even roof mount u units make alot of noise.
I went with a split mini unit where I installed the outdoor unit on the tongue (80 lbs) and indoor unit (20 lbs) above the table. This is the best thing I think I could have ever done to my egg. I did lose some cabinet door space. The unit puts out less noise than a table top fan. And since I installed it a couple of weeks ago I found out more bennys from a mini split system. Something to think about!
PS, It is also a 9000 BTU unit. Now tell me I will be getting hot!
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:56 AM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnKK View Post
Mark
T
I went with a split mini unit where I installed the outdoor unit on the tongue (80 lbs) and indoor unit (20 lbs) above the table. This is the best thing I think I could have ever done to my egg. !

I never saw any pictures of your final results Shawn and how that all came out. I know it was a bit pricey. Did you have to get a professional into charge the unit after it was mounted? Did you post pixs? If not can you snap a few for me on your placement areas.
thanks
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:02 AM   #10

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
I did post some pics on my profile. It wasn't pricey at all. 349 dollars for the unit. I did the install myself. The split units are pre charged so no pro needed. We got the inside down to 64 and outside was in the high 80's. The hardest part was running the lines. Could have used a extra hand but what is new.
Attached Thumbnails
100_0138.JPG   100_0167.JPG  

ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote