Search Option Issues - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2013, 06:51 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Registry
Search Option Issues

I have read that the Google option is best when searching the forums. I typically use an iPad or iPod touch app to read the forums. Am I correct in assuming that the search option provided in the app is not a Google search? Based on the poor results I've received when searching via the app, the only way I can think of to get to the Google search is to switch over to the browser version of the forum.

When using the Safari browser, I choose search (which appears as a drop down on the browser screen) and then begin to type my keyword. After typing the first letter, the search drop down disappears and I'm not able to complete a search. The only way I can get a full keyword entry is to copy text from another app and then paste it into the keyword field.

I sure could use some help.

Thanks
Old 02-24-2013, 09:43 AM   #2

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I have the experience you describe with an iPad and Safari. Here's how I deal with it. After choosing Google Search in the drop down, I begin to enter the text for search. Sometimes the entire text appears in the search block but sometimes the search block disappears. I choose Google Search again. I always find the first character of the first word of the search term remains in the search block. I tap on the onscreen block, the keyboard comes up again. I don't backspace to delete but rather type the remaining characters of the search term and tap the Go button. The search results appear.

I also find this annoying but put up with it because I like the graphic overhead or "skin" provided on a PC and dislike the barebones iPad ap. I'll bring this glitch to the attention of FGRV administration.

jack.
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:58 AM   #3
Administrator

Trailer: Argosy
Registry
Sadly this isn't really a 'glitch'. The native search function for the forum is a key word search only and as pointed out, is somewhat less than awesome. Lame might be a better assessment....

We have added a google search for those using the full forum interface (upper dropdown menue) but sadly, the addition isn't compatible with the app. The app is limited in scope and in order to keep it fast and lite we just can't add additional features.

One suggestion is to have a second screen open with a custom google search displaying. You can find the link in my signature and you might want to bookmark it if you are a heavy app user.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:22 PM   #4

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Thanks, Janet. I was afraid it might be a deal with it situation.

Jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:11 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Registry
Thanks for the help. Nice to have a couple workarounds.