Super Annoying Ad - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2017, 08:31 AM   #1

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Super Annoying Ad

Yes I know many of you have ad-blockers.

This morning the forum is jumping all over the place. Forces me to the bottom of the page multiple times before letting me look at what I want. If I just let it go, it jumps back & forth as some Ford video ad decides whether it wants to be on the top of the page or the bottom...

I can't say for sure it's that ad, I just know that no matter where the page jumps me to, that ad is always visible.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:51 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Nothing happening on my end like that. A hardware issue maybe, or is it just at this site?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:24 AM   #3

Montana
It's always this site; it causes me a lot of problems. Well, this stuff always seems to affect certain people but not others, and always seems to work itself out. I'll just deal with it.

Thanks!
Old 12-29-2017, 10:02 AM   #4

Montana
It happens on my Mac, and my Dell work computer
Old 12-29-2017, 10:32 AM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: Still Looking
Illinois
No problem at my PC. I use Adblocker and it blocked 11 ads so far (6 on the reply page alone).

Have a happy and safe New Year all.

Don't drink and drive, you might spill it, and that would be a crime !

:-)

JT
johnny bbqnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:57 AM   #6

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
It can also depend on the browser used.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:08 AM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: Still Looking
Illinois
Firefox on a Win 7 PC.
johnny bbqnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:27 AM   #8

Montana
Well, it definitely happens on Safari and Chrome.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:04 PM   #9

Name: skalywag
Trailer: Oliver
Tennessee
Registry
Ad Block courtesy of Firefox on a Windows 10
skalywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:30 PM   #10

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Get the Ghostery extension for Chrome. You can block all Ads and Trackers.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:36 PM   #11

Montana
Well somehow I knew most of the responses would be along these lines...

I've visited this site quite a bit over the last couple years from my Mac, and since June on my Dell. Never an issue quite like this. But then I typically have issues on this site that I've never seen before anywhere else.

I get that the site exists partially due to ads, but this is obnoxious. The Ford video pops up everywhere; inside each response, on the side bar, all over, causing my screen to jump from top to bottom of the page repeatedly.

No other forum I've ever visited does this. I've never needed an ad-blocker till joining this site.

Oh well.

Thanks.
Old 12-29-2017, 02:47 PM   #12

Montana
It's common on this site, as you can see.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...eme-80749.html

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ads-83019.html

So I guess I'll just install an ad-blocker. Just annoying cause I've never needed to with any other forum. Certain news sites and blogs have annoying ads popping up everywhere making it useless to try to read them, but never a forum in my experience, till this one.
Old 12-29-2017, 02:53 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
No other forum I've ever visited does this. I've never needed an ad-blocker till joining this site.
Have you been to any of the other forums that use the same vBulletin software? I would think you might get the same thing there, seeing the engine driving the forum is the same. Lots of ones I peruse use it. Most of the ones listed at the bottom of the page I believe use it.

Have you tried an ad blocker to see if it happens then?

Just thinkin', but I sure ain't no techie myself. Just don't like seeing others having problems, as I sure hate when I have a computer problem.

It really has only been a small few that have ever had troubles in the past.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:55 PM   #14

Montana
Not sure the platform of the other forums. I installed an adblocker. And of course, yes, it fixed the problem. I was just annoyed that I don't need adblockers except to visit this site.

I'll stop complaining.

Thanks!
Old 12-29-2017, 03:23 PM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Not sure the platform of the other forums. I installed an adblocker. And of course, yes, it fixed the problem. I was just annoyed that I don't need adblockers except to visit this site.

I'll stop complaining.

Thanks!
I had similar issues with annoying pop up ads here a while back. I installed Ad Blocker Plus on my chromebook & it went back to normal forum usage as one would expect. Same as you, I only had those troubles here, none on other forums

AB Plus has a "counter" by their icon in the tool bar showing the # of ads it's currently blocking........mine is reading 12 blocked ads right now!
SteveV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 06:47 PM   #16

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by skalywag View Post
Ad Block courtesy of Firefox on a Windows 10
How do you download an ad block on Windows 10 with Firefox? I'm not good with this stuff.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:54 PM   #17

Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
I had similar issues with annoying pop up ads here a while back. I installed Ad Blocker Plus on my chromebook & it went back to normal forum usage as one would expect. Same as you, I only had those troubles here, none on other forums

AB Plus has a "counter" by their icon in the tool bar showing the # of ads it's currently blocking........mine is reading 12 blocked ads right now!
I won't say I'm glad to hear someone else has similar problems, but...

I see I'm not alone.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:30 AM   #18

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
adds

May I suggest when this starts to do a reboot also go to your history and delete that. I don't understand why but when my computer starts doing these things I do those and it helps.

matter of fact the computer did it this am I leave it on all the time. ran through these steps and fixed it!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 10:59 AM   #19

Montana
Thanks Bob.

In this case, it's really just the ads. I have an older computer, with 2GB of RAM. I've recently realized that a lot of what's happening on websites is because newer computers can handle all that activity without freezing. My computer's RAM gets used up really, really fast. So the type of ads this site has make my computer slow to a crawl. I typically don't visit sites with crazy ads, so it's never been much of an issue. But when I come here, my computer starts getting slow, and takes around 5 minutes to recover after I've left this site.

It was good for me to finally get an ad-blocker. It has sped up my computer's performance on some other sites, too. Along with that, I have a new upgrade sitting on my table waiting for the special tools I need, and that will double my RAM. Still less than any computer comes with these days, but I manage to get by with my old computer now, so this ought to make things way better.

I can watch my computer's activity through the "activity monitor", and I can see that anything beyond baseline activity maxes out its RAM, and everything.........slows..........down. Hopefully it'll be better next week when my tools come in.

Hoping to squeeze as much life as I can from an almost 10 year old Mac!
Old 01-01-2018, 08:26 AM   #20

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
cheap

zacho I run old cheap computers I get off ebay pay 100 bux for them they serve their purpose. I don't play games and yes as you say they act strange sometimes. Who doesn't?

yes I did add adblocker sometime ago and it helped. I leave mine on all the time but every morning I do a shut down and while doing that if things not going well I unhook power off the router and bring it back up also.

I do a history delete from time to time also I do use Microsoft security and do scans. most times nothing there!

So there you know all I know about computers or care too at my age!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote