Why do some photos rotate? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2019, 11:38 AM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: Trillium
Alberta
Exclamation Why do some photos rotate?

I see this issue a lot so it isn't just me.
I take a few photos with my phone holding it in the same orientation, horizontal and home button on the left. View them on my PC and they look fine but when I attach them to a post some are rotated, some are not. What can I do differently?
4suresure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 02:04 PM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Try downloading them to your computer's Pictures folder. I'd create a sub folder, (i.e. such as "Trailer Pictures" to store your pictures in,) and then you can open them on your computer and manipulate them as to size, pixels, orientation, etc. Then post them to the forum.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 02:57 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Trillium
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Try downloading them to your computer's Pictures folder. I'd create a sub folder, (i.e. such as "Trailer Pictures" to store your pictures in,) and then you can open them on your computer and manipulate them as to size, pixels, orientation, etc. Then post them to the forum.
Thanks Greg,
I do all that and they display perfectly on my PC. The rotation seems to be random. Kijiji does the same thing but you can rotate them after uploading.
4suresure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 03:06 PM   #4

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Phone pictures can be a fickle lot. You may want to think about investing in a small digital camera. They have some fairly nice ones out there now for not too much money.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 04:41 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I am guessing you have an Apple phone. They seem to have the most problems. I am pretty sure that you want the button on the right side when shooting in horizontal mode to have the photo turned the right way, is this not true. Otherwise going into a photo editor like Greg mentioned will allow you to rotate them and save.

I have never had this problem with my Android phone where I do landscape photos with the button on the right.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:32 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
But, if you have the home button on the left with your Android, you have to stand on your head. They both have the same issues because the phone automatically orients the photo for viewing regardless of which way the phone is held. The web site doesn't recognize the coding so pictures will appear every which way.
Download to a photo processing program in you computer and orient them appropriately, crop them, etc and then post and you'll be fine.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:11 PM   #7

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4suresure View Post
I see this issue a lot so it isn't just me.
I take a few photos with my phone holding it in the same orientation, horizontal and home button on the left. View them on my PC and they look fine but when I attach them to a post some are rotated, some are not. What can I do differently?
you are doing it backwards, the home button is by your right hand, not your left hand. That is why they are turning out wrong. The reasons the button is on the right hand side is because the majority of people in the world are right handed and the majority always rules in such design standards.

Here is your little chant to help you remember the correct orientation for lengthwise photos
right is right

for the vertical orientation the chant is
the bottom is the bottom
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
for the vertical orientation the chant is
the bottom is the bottom

In which case, your picture will appear sideways on the forum. The problem is that smartphones add coding to pictures so they always appear correct, no matter which way you hold the phone. When you download the picture to a photo processing app and rotate the photo, that coding will be stripped so it appears correctly on the forum.
I'm done. Nobody is reading replies anyway.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:26 AM   #9

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
The "smart" phones have sensors that enable the screen autorotation, so you can hold it any way you want and still read it. I am pretty sure that if you turn this feature off, your pictures will be uploading correctly, at the cost of this minor inconvenience.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 03:46 PM   #10

Name: Cristin
Trailer: Scamp
Washington
Thank you, Paul. I have an iphone and will gladly accept your advice. Thank you. I will YouTube how to do that and reload photo's. How would I align the photo's in a more aesthetical order?
awinterchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 03:47 PM   #11

Name: Cristin
Trailer: Scamp
Washington
Thank you, Glenn.
awinterchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 04:56 AM   #12

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I am guessing you have an Apple phone. They seem to have the most problems. I am pretty sure that you want the button on the right side when shooting in horizontal mode to have the photo turned the right way, is this not true. Otherwise going into a photo editor like Greg mentioned will allow you to rotate them and save.

I have never had this problem with my Android phone where I do landscape photos with the button on the right.
The iPhone has a built in photo editor which allows lightening/darkening of photos as well as rotation of photos. It comes up if the “edit” button is tapped when viewing the photo in the photo album. In addition, there are several apps in the App Store that allow editing of photos right on the phone, including Photo Shop Express.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 08:22 PM   #13
Kay

Name: Kay
Trailer: shopping
California
Photo sideways

If you shoot with an iPhone I think the best option is to select Square Format. The shots can easily be rotated if necessary but should remain in a more stable format. I surmise. This is what has worked for me.
Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:04 PM   #14

Some subjects require horizontal and some vertical orientation. Nothing more boring than square.

I shoot with my iPhone and send it by email to myself ( I don't access forums on my phone ). I can then open it in a photo processing app on my laptop if I need to crop or enhance ( adjust contrast, etc ). I can also rotate it, if necessary, but I haven't had to.
I'd try sending the pic to yourself by email and opening it on your iPhone. I suspect that will strip the coding that would cause the photo to appear incorrectly on the forum. Then, I think you can post and it will appear correctly.
Old 12-01-2020, 08:59 AM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Some subjects require horizontal and some vertical orientation. Nothing more boring than square.

I shoot with my iPhone and send it by email to myself ( I don't access forums on my phone ). I can then open it in a photo processing app on my laptop if I need to crop or enhance ( adjust contrast, etc ). I can also rotate it, if necessary, but I haven't had to.
I'd try sending the pic to yourself by email and opening it on your iPhone. I suspect that will strip the coding that would cause the photo to appear incorrectly on the forum. Then, I think you can post and it will appear correctly.
Check out the various photo editing apps available for phones. Lots of great ones out there for both Apple and Android.

I used to do as you said, but getting to an actual computer was often too much of a pain to do. I rarely use a computer nowadays, many not at all.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-01-2020, 10:53 AM   #16

Need to have somebody who is having the problem with photo rotation try my theory that if you email it to yourself, you can post that picture and it will appear properly, because coding has been stripped by the email app.
Old 12-01-2020, 12:58 PM   #17

Registry
Nothing is stripped from my photos emailing them. I certainly would be upset in many circumstances if that did happen.
Old 12-01-2020, 01:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Nothing is stripped from my photos emailing them. I certainly would be upset in many circumstances if that did happen.

Why would you be upset? The coding just makes the picture "correct" no matter which way you hold the phone. Once the picture is attached to an email, the coding is no longer needed. It's doubtful that you will read an email upside down with the picture right side up.
I just shot a vertical pic with my iPhone. No matter which way I hold the phone the picture orients correctly. I mailed it to myself. In the mail, the picture is correctly oriented. If I double-click on the picture, it opens in Preview and I can rotate it, if necessary.
Old 12-12-2020, 03:25 PM   #19

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita17'Spirit Deluxe (aka: Tweaker's Casita)
Southwest Ohio
Registry
Problems with EXIF data in a picture?

If you have problems with the orientation of a picture, the issue might be in the EXIF data in the JPG file that is created from your phone or camera.

Within a JPG picture there is (usually) an EXIF data tag for “orientation”. It can be updated or, if it doesn’t exist in the JPG file, it can be added. Since I have a Windoze laptop, I use a freeware program to view the EXIF data and, if needed, change the Exif/Image/Orientation tag to get the picture to display correctly. Also, if there is a tag for Exif/Thumbnail/Orientation in the EXIF data, it should have the same setting as the Exif/Image/Orientation tag.

The Windows program I use is called "Exif Pilot" and it can be downloaded here. I presume that there are similar programs for other operating systems.
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 11:51 AM   #20

Name: Shannon
Trailer: Fiber Stream
Texas
Registry
Emailing myself out of my cloud accounts is a lot of extra work for just a forum picture. I don't have this issue anywhere else I frequent on the internet anymore, except older board style forums. It happens with both my Android and my husband's iPhone images. It is a LOT easier to add pictures from outside albums.

I know vBulletin has know about the issue for years and chosen not to address it. It is baked into the hosting platform. I thought there was a patch that came about in the last year or two. Tapatalk still does it too.
Trailduster is offline   Reply With Quote