16 days and 6K miles, NJ to the Rockies - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-24-2010, 06:31 PM   #1

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
16 days and 6K miles, NJ to the Rockies

Hitched newly restored 16 ft '86 Scamp to the '96 Tahoe and left New Jersey with a full tank of gas and $3k in our pockets. Plan was drive to army buddy Jack's little farm in northern Minnesota, then on to Charlie's ranch in Montana, and then swing down into Colorado on our way back home. Made it back with money to spare.

On the way out and back we overnighted only at truck stops. The daily grind mileage ranged from a high of 579 to a low of 387. Towing mpg was 15.6, give or take. Worst was the first leg, on Rt 80 across PA because I foolishly maintained a steady 65 mph and that area is up the hill and down the hill. Next worst was across North Dakota, even at 55 mph. Can only guess this due to high cross winds. (?) We avoided all toll roads.

Camping sites were in the Big Horn Canyon rec area and the Custer National Forest in Montana, and Yellowstone (Fishing Bridge 1 nite, Grant Village 3 nites), then Gros Ventre Campground in Grand Tetons, that followed by 1 motel night in Laramie, then 2 nites at Moraine Campground in Rocky Mt NP. We used our Golden Age Pass at each park, except for Fishing Bridge, which doesn't honor it.

Truck stops were in Van Wert, Ohio; near Camp Douglas, Wisconsin; then at one in Dickerson, North Dakota; and on way home at Green Island, Nebraska; Morris, Illinois; and finally, at Barkeyville, Pa.

Absolutely no trouble at any truck stop. A couple were noisy, yes, and one was too brightly lit, but free is good. Most have WiFi available but you gotta pay for it.

Best luck: stumbling on a horse auction in Nort Dakota that was a mini-rodeo for real cowboys only.
Best Wal-mart: in Lauren, Montana.
Best gas price: $2.56 in Upper Sandusky, Ohio
Most excitement: when noticed locked Scamp door had swung open (!) while driving 7 miles of rough, dusty, washboard-dirt road approaching Charlie's ranch.
Attached Thumbnails
Iowa1.jpg   NoDak03.jpg  

VanWertO04---Copy.jpg   TAcampg03.jpg  

MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 05:41 AM   #2

Trailer: Play Pac ('Egg Krate')
Sounds like a great trip.
Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 07:06 PM   #3

New Mexico
Registry
And ready to go back.
  1. Minnesota, about 20 miles from Jack's farm.
  2. Charlies' ranch, 7 miles from Roscoe, Montana.
  3. Near Crow reservation, Montana.
  4. Yellowstone NP.
Attached Thumbnails
Emly004.jpg   Donnes007.jpg  

BigHorn03---Copy.jpg   Yellowstonebison.jpg  

Old 09-26-2010, 09:27 AM   #4

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Yup..
In Minnesota, we have some big fish...
Barely escaped this one near Bena, MN, on US Highway 2...
Attached Thumbnails
Fish1.jpg  
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:58 PM   #5

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
trip

What a great fish picture !! Quite a trip, you covered a lot of ground and got to see some of the best in the West, but trust me, there is much more to go !!! Lee and Norma
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:14 AM   #6

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Sounds like you had a lot of fun! We have only taken our '84 Scamp on one trip (last weekend), but we hope to take a long trip at some point. My wife and I are FAR from retirement, so I can't see ourselves doing something like that right away.

I would also like to have a little more powerful tow vehicle for getting up the mountains out west before we do that... 128 horsepower only goes so far!

We are going to drive from MD out to Michigan in about two months, but I think we are going to leave the Scamp at home, since we have to drive out there in one day, stay one day, then drive back in a day. That's about 675 miles each way, so I would like to be able to keep up with faster traffic. It's also not worth the hit in fuel economy for just two nights in the Scamp.

I've never been to Yellowstone... would love to see more pics!
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:23 AM   #7

New Mexico
Registry
Re: Yellowstone photos -- No problem! I did take a few.

I thought the scenic beauty of the place is majestic but subtle in comparison to some other natiional parks, tempered still by those massive fires of a few years ago. A great place to view wildlife.

Was in Idaho once, part of a (non-egged) trip some years ago to Glacier. Saw my first moose in Idaho. Hope to get back there, and then go on to the north Pacific coastal areas etc, mebbe next year.
Attached Thumbnails
Park020.jpg   Park063.jpg  

Park095a.jpg   Park117.jpg  

Park144.jpg   YellML.jpg