6 months in NA - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2009, 03:32 PM   #61

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe / Infiniti SUV
Quote:
After May first I avoid Death Valley and Palm Springs - way too HOT.
Mike is absolutely correct on this. D.V. daytime temperatures are predicted above 100 degrees this week.
Palm Springs is tolerable at high 80's.
D.V., in summer, is like visiting hell (almost).

National Weather Service site:
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?C...116.867&e=1

I'm not sure why your route book has you routed through Palm Springs (unless you want to see streets named after Crosby, Sinatra, etc.) because Palm Springs is quite a detour from the most direct route. The the fastest route from L.V. to L.A is via Interstate 15 (I-15), then I-10 or I-210 west toward L.A. (Personally I would take I-210.)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a...ysystemWIKI.jpg

Avoid I-15 southbound from L.V. on Sunday afternoons---filled with losers from weekend crap tables! And I know this is hard to do, but try to avoid any of the metro freeways during rush hour. What time is that, you ask? I never was able to answer my own question!
George Cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:16 PM   #62

Trailer: BIOD (1979 and 1990)
Registry
Well, we have to select a route to get near LA.

This is the bookroute:

Click image for larger version

Name:	000_copy.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	20810

It leads through Mojave National reserve, via Cima, Kelso, Amboy and Joshua Tree to Palm Springs.

The weather forcast for Palm Springs looks not too bad:

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	20811

Or am I wrong?

Btw. Why are people keen on living on a low latitude, while saying it is too hot? ;-))
Blog: https://rilexm.eu/fotoboek/2009na/
Lex M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:19 PM   #63
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Btw. Why are people keen on living on a low latitude, while saying it is too hot? ;-))
For the moonlight skinny-dipping, and long growing season for things like okra, of course!

Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:42 PM   #64

Quote:
The weather forcast for Palm Springs looks not too bad:
Or am I wrong?[/i]
You are correct. As I said, the high 80's are tolerable. That's pretty moderate for Palm Springs this time of the year. My only concern was whether you really wanted to go to Palm Springs, which will probably add 150 (guesstimate) miles to your trip. B.t.w., you can probably get a camp site at Joshua Tree National Park, although I believe some of their campgrounds have already closed for the summer. Joshua Tree N.P.'s temperature predictions seem to be similar to Palm Springs for the coming week. The rest of that map route is a lot of desert, and I can get my fill of desert in one day, so you may discount any of my comments involving desert travel as my prejudice.

Having said all of that, I got to thinking you may be able to score big in an RV park in Palm Desert/Palm Springs, since this is already their "off-season". No doubt there are beautiful RV parks there with lots of swimming pools. (Maggi & Wes, are you available to make any recommendations?) And a golfer's paradise----play the first nine in early a.m., then go back at evening for the back nine! (We've got a little place in the mountains up above Palm Desert and we usually spend a month or two there each year.)
Old 06-06-2009, 06:49 PM   #65

Quote:
long growing season for things like okra, of course!
[b]That's Texas talk. No native Californian would ever even say that word!

Just kiddin' Mary!
Old 06-06-2009, 11:26 PM   #66

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

[quote]The weather forcast for Palm Springs looks not too bad:

Attachment 20811

I have close friends who work-camp at Palm Springs Oasis RV Resort. Bob Christ and Rodger Hofstra. Bob does most of the maintenance and Rodger is a Home Healthcare Aid. The RV park is open year-round, and they report that there is plenty of room, since most of the "Snow-Birds" have gone home. Rodger says that the 85<sup>o</sup>F temps have been downright cold!
The sites are concrete pads with gravel between, and have full hook-ups. Not much shade, I'm afraid.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:51 PM   #67

Registry
Sorry, folks. We are in a motel (Las Vegas).
To give the BIOD a rest time ;-)

Name:	0848.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	20815
Old 06-07-2009, 07:36 PM   #68

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
[quote]Sorry, folks. We are in a motel (Las Vegas).

Attachment 20815

You guys are way too cool! Enjoy "the Strip"! (Biod needed a break)

...MarvonW
Old 06-07-2009, 08:02 PM   #69

Quote:
Be sure you have a lock on Biod's hitch! (I'm not kidding!)
Old 06-07-2009, 08:17 PM   #70

Registry
Quote:
Be sure you have a lock on Biod's hitch! (I'm not kidding!)
There is a lock in the hitch.
Do you really think that one would steal the trailer?
I am more afraid of breaking in.
It is on the lot of Rodeway Inn.

Btw. There is a Denny's restaurant round the corner. Are they okay?
Old 06-08-2009, 05:50 AM   #71

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Lex& Rita...Enjoy "Neon Nevada". Yes Dennys is good for breakfast!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:38 AM   #72

There is a lock in the hitch. Good, I thought you would probably have one.
Do you really think that one would steal the trailer? Who knows in Vegas or L.A.? Be safe, not sorry.
I am more afraid of breaking in. It is on the lot of Rodeway Inn. They probably have roving security.
Btw. There is a Denny's restaurant round the corner. Are they okay? I used to like to eat there with my California construction buddies, all ordering the cholesterol-filled breakfasts. My wife won't even consider going near a Denny's. So I haven't been in one for at least 12 years. All I can say is that it's a step above McDonald's McMuffins.

But if I were in Vegas, every morning I'd head for a breakfast buffet at different one of the major hotels. Unless they've changed, those are super and very reasonable.

That was a great picture of Hoover Dam. And a new Interstate highway bridge crossing the Colorado under construction. For a while after 9/11 I believe trailers were prohibited from crossing the dam. Somewhere in the archives I have a photo of myself and family down in the construction area of the dam when it was being built. (I was a kid, then.) It was originally called Boulder Dam, then renamed Hoover Dam by Herbert Hoover while the unpopular president was still in office, later reverting to Boulder Dam, then finally renamed Hoover Dam by a congressional act in the late 40's. So I guess we're stuck with the Hoover name. See how politics work in the U.S.A.?
Old 06-08-2009, 07:44 AM   #73

Registry
Quote:
That was a great picture of Hoover Dam. And a new Interstate highway bridge crossing the Colorado under construction. For a while after 9/11 I believe trailers were prohibited from crossing the dam. Somewhere in the archives I have a photo of myself and family down in the construction area of the dam when it was being built. (I was a kid, then.) It was originally called Boulder Dam, then renamed Hoover Dam by Herbert Hoover while the unpopular president was still in office, later reverting to Boulder Dam, then finally renamed Hoover Dam by a congressional act in the late 40's. So I guess we're stuck with the Hoover name. See how politics work in the U.S.A.?
I forgot to mention in the log: all vehicle were security checked, trailers etc. were searched. They simply looked in our trailer through a window, others were more extensively searched. Lorries are prohibited.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:20 PM   #74

Quote:
I forgot to mention in the log: all vehicle were security checked, trailers etc. were searched. They simply looked in our trailer through a window, others were more extensively searched. Lorries are prohibited.
You'll have another vehicle check shortly after you cross the state line in California. (California Department of Agriculture.) They will first ask "from where have you been traveling?" Depending on where you've been, they may ask if you are carrying any fruits, vegetables or plants. (May confiscate some stuff, but I've never had anything taken.) They are attempting to reduce introduction of insects, etc., that would be harmful to the farm products of California. Anyway, you might want to wait till you get to California to stock your refrigerator with fruit and veggies. If you like fruit, you're in for some treats when you get to central California and north through Washington.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:26 PM   #75

Registry
Quote:
You'll have another vehicle check shortly after you cross the state line in California. (California Department of Agriculture.) They will first ask "from where have you been traveling?" Depending on where you've been, they may ask if you are carrying any fruits, vegetables or plants. (May confiscate some stuff, but I've never had anything taken.) They are attempting to reduce introduction of insects, etc., that would be harmful to the farm products of California. Anyway, you might want to wait till you get to California to stock your refrigerator with fruit and veggies. If you like fruit, you're in for some treats when you get to central California and north through Washington.
No check entering California.
We spend the night in Joshua Tree NP, Jumbo Rocks campground. Nice temp there :-)

Name:	o1864.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	20886

Old 06-11-2009, 07:18 PM   #76

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Arrow

Hallo, another neat photo of your rig, Like a post card. Nice camp site. Looking at your blog site, the photo of the rock formation looks like Homer Simpson. The photo following the one of your unit. Shown here.
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:25 PM   #77

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Hey Lex, you mentioned coming to the Oregon Gathering. I was looking at Gene's site map and couldn't find you on it. I was wondering what site you're in.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:51 PM   #78

Registry
Quote:
Hey Lex, you mentioned coming to the Oregon Gathering. I was looking at Gene's site map and couldn't find you on it. I was wondering what site you're in.
Don't know. Nancy will organize it for us.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:45 PM   #79

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Lex, today Sunday you must be visiting Sequoia. Don't miss Yosemite NP which is just north of you and I live on the north edge of Yosemite in Sonora. I imagine you'll be through this area in the next couple of days. I'd love to show you around but I'm headed for a golf tournament tomorrow and won't be back until the end of the week. I guess I'll just have to wait to meet you at the Oregon gathering.

You can go into Yosemite via highway 41 the south entrance, there are about 2 tunnels you pass through. Go slow through the 2nd one as there is a turnout just as you come out the other end. It's an overlook for the most photographed scene in Yosemite. When you leave Yosemite go via either 140 or 120. If you are interested in the gold country then come out 120. If not, then use 140 it's a much easier drive. 120 has a very steep grade just north of Groveland. You would need to put you vehicle in it's lowest gear and use your brakes spareingly.

I imagine you're going to go to San Francisco then north over the Golden Gate. That's highway 101 and it'll take up through the Redwood NP. You do have to turnoff the 4 lane highway to get a good grasp of the Redwoods. It's called Avenue of the Giants and is simply the old highway which will come back into the new highway at the north end of the park.

The drive north is wonderful but you will encounter a curvey 2 lane section just south of Crescent City, drive careful.

Once you get into Oregon if you don't have reservations and need a place to stay in Brookings. Turn right after you cross the Chetco bridge and go up the river to Loeb SP. It's about 5 miles up the river and first come first served. Harris Beach SP just north of Brookings is apt to be full. They take reservations and are generally full the entire summer. That's why I always go to Loeb which has water and electric sites plus showers.

Now if you want to walk on the beach you'll find some of the nicest turnouts for long pretty stretches of beach between Brookings and Gold Beach. Hey, you can even dry camp over night in those turnouts, if you want.

Just a few suggestions.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:22 PM   #80

Registry
Thanks, Joy, for the recommendations.
But we 'll skip Yosemite :-( We have to make a choice.
From Visalia we 'll drive to the coast at san Luis Obispo.
Then up to SF via hwy 1.
Campground for SF: probably KOA Petaluma.
See you.