AB-ON road trip. Where to camp? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-14-2015, 08:23 AM   #1

Name: Anna
Trailer: 1978 17' Boler
Alberta
AB-ON road trip. Where to camp?

My husband and I are taking our two little kids (1 and 3) across Canada in mid august. Would I be able to get some recommendations for great places to stop? We are taking roughly three weeks and don't have a rigid schedule. We just need to end up in Ottawa to visit family. I'd love to get some ideas of spots that are worth checking out, nice campgrounds, that sort of thing.

Thanks so much!
summersucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:27 AM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
The entire top of Lake Superior is AWESOME! We stayed at Sleeping Giant provincial park and really enjoyed it:
Welcome to Sleeping Giant Provincial Park
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:35 AM   #3

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
The entire top of Lake Superior is AWESOME! We stayed at Sleeping Giant provincial park and really enjoyed it:
Welcome to Sleeping Giant Provincial Park
ahhhh that looks beautiful! On the list!

I should add another question - how hard are these places to get into without reservations? I really don't want to plan things too much but having to camp on the side of the road the whole way would not be my first choice.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:42 AM   #4

Alberta
Registry
We didn't have reservations. We don't plan that far ahead. It probably depends on when you are traveling. Maybe call them and get their perspective.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:59 AM   #5

Alberta
you know, I think what I'll do is call ahead when we're a day or two away, we can probably swing that.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:35 AM   #6

Name: Beth
Trailer: eventually
Ontario
Keep in mind that the Ontario Provincial Parks all keep a certain number of campsites available on a first come/first serve basis. It's certainly wise to make a reservation if you're going to be arriving after, say, 4 PM, on a Friday of a holiday weekend. If it's a weekday and you're there before mid afternoon there's not a problem, particularly if it's only for one night. It will save you the reservation fee!

With small kids you probably want off the road by that time anyways.

Anything along the top edge of the Great Lakes is going to be a wonderful place to stay but then I'm really partial to big water, forests and rocks.

Algonquin Park will probably be your last stop on the trip. If you're dropping down 11 to 60 it has multiple campgrounds and you'll be able to take your pick of what kind of campsite you want in regards to beaches, privacy etc. etc.

If you land in Algonquin Park on the Hwy 60 stretch on a Thursday evening they usually have a wolf howl event that is well worth attending, very educational and then absolutely thrilling to go out and hear the wolves.

The other route across that stretch of Ontario, straight across 17 to Mattawa will put you within reach of the northern edge of Algonquin Park but the campground is 30 kms off the main highway on a paved road and has no FHU or showers. With the kids, I'd recommend going south out of North Bay and across 60 for that reason alone.
Almost There is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:36 AM   #7

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
I totally agree with the Northern coast of Superior, awesome. I haven't done Sleeping Giant, but the several others I have camped at are wonderful. Also many of the trails in the area have waterfalls, a favorite. Campgrounds on the Eastern shore of Georgian Bay, Like Killbear, are also very nice.
Have a great adventure.

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:10 AM   #8

Alberta
Beaches! I hadn't even thought of that! Will it be warm enough to swim? I'm used to alpine lakes of the rockies which is a little colder than I'd do.

I am getting super excited, thanks so much for this info!
Old 05-14-2015, 11:15 AM   #9

Name: Beth
Trailer: eventually
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersucks View Post
Beaches! I hadn't even thought of that! Will it be warm enough to swim? I'm used to alpine lakes of the rockies which is a little colder than I'd do.

I am getting super excited, thanks so much for this info!
The Great Lakes will be warmer than the alpine lakes but I find them too cold for me for real swimming, especially Lake Superior. Any inland smaller lake will definitely be warm enough by August.

The kids will want to play in the shallows more so than you will want to swim anyways! My kids wouldn't come out of the water until their lips were blue when they were that age.
Almost There is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:15 PM   #10

Alberta
ha, I'm not sure I'd be doing any 'real swimming', more like watching the little ones while in the water. I've never actually seen the great lakes, this is going to be pretty amazing.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:41 PM   #11

Name: Dale
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
I would recommend doing manatoulin island - and taking the ferry with them!
dbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 03:32 PM   #12

Alberta
Registry
Manitoulin is very nice, but a bit out of your way, if you are going to Ottawa. Turn south at Espanola. I have deep roots on that island:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...map-56309.html
Old 05-14-2015, 04:50 PM   #13

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
We lived on the north shore of Superior for 35 years, and are now retired in a lakeside cottage area, near Algonquin Park. We certainly can attest to the natural beauty and excellent camping at any campground near, or in, either area. We've been avid campers since the 1960's, and wouldn't chose to live anywhere else in North America. Plus, there are private campgrounds at most communities along our 'Tranny-Canaddy' highway, through Ontario, too, if you look for them. From the 'Lakehead' at Thunder Bay, Check Terrace Bay, Nipigon, Marathon, Wawa, the 'Soo' along #17; and Parry Sound, Huntsville, Dwight, the 'Park', Whitney, Refrew, etc. along the southern corridor. Have a great trip through our backyard - you'll love it.
bullfrogeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:59 PM   #14

Name: Michael
Trailer: In the Market
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost There View Post
Keep in mind that the Ontario Provincial Parks all keep a certain number of campsites available on a first come/first serve basis. It's certainly wise to make a reservation if you're going to be arriving after, say, 4 PM, on a Friday of a holiday weekend. If it's a weekday and you're there before mid afternoon there's not a problem, particularly if it's only for one night. It will save you the reservation fee!

With small kids you probably want off the road by that time anyways.

Anything along the top edge of the Great Lakes is going to be a wonderful place to stay but then I'm really partial to big water, forests and rocks.

Algonquin Park will probably be your last stop on the trip. If you're dropping down 11 to 60 it has multiple campgrounds and you'll be able to take your pick of what kind of campsite you want in regards to beaches, privacy etc. etc.

If you land in Algonquin Park on the Hwy 60 stretch on a Thursday evening they usually have a wolf howl event that is well worth attending, very educational and then absolutely thrilling to go out and hear the wolves.

The other route across that stretch of Ontario, straight across 17 to Mattawa will put you within reach of the northern edge of Algonquin Park but the campground is 30 kms off the main highway on a paved road and has no FHU or showers. With the kids, I'd recommend going south out of North Bay and across 60 for that reason alone.
Please forgive my lack of knowledge, but what is FHU? The only thing I can think of is facilities hook up. Thanks.
mbbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:15 AM   #15

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
All good suggestions for Ontario but you will need to travel through beautiful Manitoba first. You did not indicate your starting point so I will suggest a couple of different ideas. If you are on the Yellowhead Highway, it is worth a bit of a detour to visit and camp at Riding Mountain National Park.
If you are on the Trans-Canada Highway and depending where you are at each part of the day, I encourage you to consider:
-Oak Lake Island Resort which is a few miles south of the TCH just west of the town of Oak Lake. It is a great beach area for little kids, shallow warm water and all needs including ice cream.
-a bit east of Brandon is the Spruce Woods Provincial Park. It is a bit south of the TCH. Lovely and rustic.
-if you are close to Wpg when time to stop, Miller's Campground is a bit west of the City of Winnipeg and a nice family stop.
-if you are getting east of Winnipeg by nightfall, then plan to get to Whiteshell Provincial Park (Falcon Lake, West Hawk Lake)

This leads you into Ontario where Lake of the Woods area provides some lovely campsites around Kenora and onward.
Provincial and National Parks require a pass, of course. And, what you miss on the way out, you might catch on the way back!
Enjoy and may you be blessed with good weather and safe travel.
Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:44 AM   #16

Alberta
this is so wonderful, thank you all so much! We are starting out in Calgary and taking the TCH. It looks like we might be pushing our trip up a month and going in July instead. I'm super excited. I'm going to sit with my husband and go through this thread with a map.

David - thank you for sharing that bit of your history! I loved reading about it
Old 06-07-2015, 10:50 AM   #17

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Registry
AB-ON road trip. Where to camp?

I have a favourite stop near Nipigon called Ouimet Canyon. It's been a while, but I think it is off the TCH maybe 5Km North. I think of it as Canada's Grand Canyon and there is a viewing platform. I heard that in recent times someone has built a commercial zip line across the canyon a couple of Kms from Ouimet. In the past we used to park there for the night.

Oh and take the route through Algonquin (Hwy 60). Algonquin park is wonderful.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Doug L
Old 06-07-2015, 11:13 AM   #18

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Registry
Oh and West Hawk Lake on the Manitoba Ontario border is a great night stop. I haven't been there in some considerable time, but there used to be a nice campground.

Doug L
Old 06-07-2015, 03:05 PM   #19

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
Blue Lake Provincial Park near Vermillion Bay/Dryden for the swimming. Neys Provincial Park near Marathon for the big Lake and the history. The best is Puckaskawa National Park near Marathon. Be aware camping is not cheap in Ontario.

Sent from my XT1028 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:05 PM   #20

Trailer: 76 Honey Neonex Boler
Registry
A great beach with shallow and warmer water is at Rossport on the north shore of Superior.

Karen L W is offline   Reply With Quote