Al-Bee-Kerkie camps? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2008, 07:11 PM   #1

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 16 ft
All right, I'll try to spell it right from memory, that big town in Mexico, er, NEW Mexico, that's- "Alberquerque." (The website still underlines this spelling as suspect, but google prefers it. What space alien language was it derived from, anyway?)

If I haven't aggravated you alb'q'ans too much, I'll ask if anyone can recommend a nice public or private campground within an hour of A-Town. Any recommendations? I see only one in town listed on the web, and little public CGs marked except for a few state parks. Our Scamp is unheated, and this is next week we're talking about, so electricity would be appreciated at night.
John Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:42 PM   #2

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
All right, I'll try to spell it right from memory, that big town in Mexico, er, NEW Mexico, that's- "Alberquerque." (The website still underlines this spelling as suspect, but google prefers it. What space alien language was it derived from, anyway?)

If I haven't aggravated you alb'q'ans too much, I'll ask if anyone can recommend a nice public or private campground within an hour of A-Town. Any recommendations? I see only one in town listed on the web, and little public CGs marked except for a few state parks. Our Scamp is unheated, and this is next week we're talking about, so electricity would be appreciated at night.
There is a campground in Bernalillo (15 mins north of town) on the Rio Grande with electrical. Its called Coronado state monument. There is a KOA somewhere here in ABQ from what I hear but not sure where because I avoid them at all costs. There is a campground on I-40 west of ABQ just as you top the mesa (not sure of the name or how nice it is.) If you don't mind being 45 mins north of ABQ I like to go to Cochiti Lake (Pena Blanca exit off of I 25 north towards Santa Fe) electrical, showers, etc. for $12 a night. There was only one other camper there last weekend. If you want something beautiful, but an hour away just before Jemez springs is a campground on the Jemez river. I think its called Spanish Queen. No electrical, but I didnt need it a few weeks ago anyways. It is only $10 and you can back up 10 feet from a trout stream against a huge spectacular cliff mesa type thing. This one would be my preference if you didnt mind the drive. There is also a small grocery store a few miles away toward Jemez springs, a cool restaurant bar called Los Ojos and hot mineral springs (either commercial or in the wilderness) you can get nekkid in the wild ones... but you know what? Forget the other places, go to Spanish Queen. Email me if you need more info at johnsojourneratyahoodotcom. Oh...and its Albuquerque, named after the Duke of Albuquerque (his name was actually spelled "Albuerquerque") He was a Duke from Spain I believe. Good luck and enjoy the Jemez.Below is a pic from Spanish Queen.
Attached Thumbnails
march_2008_022.jpg  
Jonathan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:06 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
There is a KOA somewhere here in ABQ from what I hear but not sure where because I avoid them at all costs.
We have stayed at the Albuquerque Central KOA in the past while on one of our great cross country treks. It's not too bad for a one night stand... easy access from I-40.