Alaska bound in a few weeks any last minute tips? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-10-2015, 07:41 AM   #1

Name: Sam
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Registry
Alaska bound in a few weeks any last minute tips?

School gets out in a few short weeks. I'm taking my 1976 boler North to Alaska. My route includes ferry Prince Rupert, Cassiar highway, Alaska hwy, a friends wedding in Whitehorse followed by continuing up the Alaska Highway to Anchorage, Denali park, Fairbanks, across the top of the world to Dawson city and then back down the Alaska Highway back through the Okanagan and finally ferrying back to Vancouver island. Do you have any last-minute tips or campground recommendations before I start on the seven week adventure?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 06-10-2015, 08:50 AM   #2

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
Fill your gas tank every chance you get when you go north , there are lots of places 300 km or more between gas stations . Some of the locations shown in visitor guides are no longer open , but it is a great trip .
Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:42 AM   #3

Name: Arnold
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
California
What a great trip you are about to take, jealous. The most important bit of advice I can give is stop at Double G's at Muncho Lake for breakfast. The best breakfast on your route. We made a similar trip two years ago and I think about it almost every day. Have your camera out and ready at all times. If you see cars parked on the road up ahead, stop to see what they are looking at you will be amazed. Take your time because you will start missing this trip before you are done with it. Safe travels.
Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:42 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Unhappy If you have a dog

Keep your dog on a leash.
Loose dog finds bear, chases bear thinking it will flee like other things it chased, bear doesn't flee, bear chases dog, dog runs to master for help, master is confronted with angry bear.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:47 AM   #5

Name: David
Trailer: Airstream International CCD 28
Florida
I hear windshields get broken a lot. Take some clear packing tape to cover the bulls eye.

Also bear spray, but it must be labeled Bear spray to be legal in Canada if you go that route.

No guns in Canada.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:13 AM   #6

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
We stayed at Quatse River Regional Park and Campground in Port Hardy last summer. Quiet and pretty except for when the Ferry people leave and arrive.
The drive in from Prince Rupert to Terrace is one of my favourite, following the Skeena River most of the way.
Don't forget you seasick medication. It can be rough from Port Hardy to the inside passage, and occasionally that stretch is smooth, and you pitch up the passage instead. Have not taken the trip on the new ferry so not sure what it is like. You do not have free access to your vehicle on the ferry unlike the Vancouver run. But you can get down now and then. Book a campground both ends of the trip unless you like parking lots, esp the Rupert end.
Eager to see what other advise you get as we are headed the same way in a month and a bit.
Love to share stories at the Sooke campout in September.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:24 AM   #7

Name: Bill
Trailer: 1977 Triple E
Ontario
Ferry, Prince Rupert to Vancouver

Last year we took the Ferry from Prince Rupert to Vancouver.

Not sure that we would do it again?

Taking the ferry avoided 14 hours driving to Vancouver.

We have '77 Surfside (14ft.) and it cost $1,400.00 for the over night trip.

Sleeping was awkward, we had booked big comfy chairs but those sleeping on the floor (with mats etc.) seemed to fair better.

Best campground in Vancouver was Capalano RV Park(run by the Native Reserve) at the foot of the Lion's Gate Bridge. Close to shopping and bus routes. Watch the locals net salmon from the lower bridge.

Have a great trip.

Bill
William Urie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:32 PM   #8

Name: Joe
Trailer: Casita 17' SD
Arizona
Best Binoculars and Stuff

Canon 10x30 Image Stablized binoculars are the only ones worth carrying. Once you use them you will never go back to standard binoculars. There is a little gyroscope type mechanism that when its button is pushed, the image is frozen so you are not jumping around, jiggling or moving up and down when you breath. I would also carry a sharp sheath knife on my person. A homemade survival kit in a backpack too. Gore-tex rain gear and boots. Good luck and the gods favor those you are prepared.
Rattlesnake Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 01:48 PM   #9

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold View Post
The most important bit of advice I can give is stop at Double G's at Muncho Lake for breakfast. The best breakfast on your route. We made a similar trip two years ago and I think about it almost every day.
Must have been some damn fine grub for you to go to Alaska and the most memorable thing was breakfast.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 02:21 PM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetguy View Post

Also bear spray, but it must be labeled Bear spray to be legal in Canada if you go that route.

No guns in Canada.
the poster is a Canadian so suspect she knows that!

BTW we do have guns in Canada! Lots of them! Shot guns for hunting purposes only that is! And many do carry them especially when camping in grizzle bear territory. You don't think we count on our hockey sticks to protect us from everything now do you?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 02:25 PM   #11

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Tahoe a spray can of Bear Spray with you. Canada will allow you to have the Bear Spray but will not allow you to have self defense pepper spray.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 02:28 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Urie View Post

Best campground in Vancouver was Capalano RV Park(run by the Native Reserve) at the foot of the Lion's Gate Bridge. Close to shopping and bus routes. Watch the locals net salmon from the lower bridge.

Bill
thats my neighbourhood! Glad you liked it. If you are going to stay in the city thats the place to do it for sure. If you have a dog the beach/park beside the campground its the only place in these parts you will find an official off leash dog beach!

But if your coming off the island and what to put some miles & the city behind you and Fort Langley (Fort Camping) would be another good choose as would camping in Manning Park area be.
Old 06-10-2015, 02:41 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Urie View Post
Last year we took the Ferry from Prince Rupert to Vancouver.

Bill
Bill coming from the Island could you not take the ferry from Port Hardy to Prince Rupert? down side to that? Besides price.

Have taken the ferry from Port Hardy to Bella Bella when heading out kayaking but never with a trailer though which is why I ask.
Old 06-10-2015, 02:56 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam mc View Post
School gets out in a few short weeks. I'm taking my 1976 boler North to Alaska. My route includes ferry Prince Rupert, Cassiar highway, Alaska hwy, a friends wedding in Whitehorse followed by continuing up the Alaska Highway to Anchorage, Denali park, Fairbanks, across the top of the world to Dawson city and then back down the Alaska Highway back through the Okanagan and finally ferrying back to Vancouver island. Do you have any last-minute tips or campground recommendations before I start on the seven week adventure?

Get a copy of MILEPOSTS, if you don't already have one. It is the "best" guide to the Alaska highway. which BTW is no longer the challenge it used to be. Mostly all widened, hard topped, and re-graded, to accommodate the trucks and us greenhorns.
My most memorable thing about Muncho Lake was the Chilly Dip in the lake.
Our nicest swim was at Liard Hot Springs. it is a long walk in on a board walkway, but well worth it. give yourself lots of time there.
Summer 2004 was the hottest in Alaska, and smokey from wildfires.
Enjoy!
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 03:25 PM   #15

Name: Arnold
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
California
Timber Wolf, I never said my breakfast a Double G's was my most memorable part of our trip. I said I think my breakfast there was the best I had on my trip. I said I think about the TRIP almost everyday
Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:05 PM   #16

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Bens 100% DEET Mosquito Repellant.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:26 PM   #17

Name: Richard
Trailer: Bigfoot 19'
British Columbia
on your way home use the new South Fraser Perimeter Road. It is so much better than going through Langley Surrey etc on Hwy 10.

Have a great trip.
evenweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:38 PM   #18

Name: Jim
Trailer: Boler 13'
Yukon
Rifles and shotguns allowed in Canada, but no handguns at all. Bear Spray a good idea. The Alaska Highway is now great and paved. Not a challenge at all, but count on an average of 100 miles between fuel stops. Don't ever pass one. Best campground in Whitehorse is my place. "Betsey" would enjoy meeting another Boler, lots of space, good advice, and moose steaks ready to go. Just keep me posted. Jim drdog@yukonvet.ca
drdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:07 AM   #19

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Hope to see you (and others) along the way to Denali & Anchorage. We (myself in an Escape 17B, and friends in a Scamp 16) are on our way. left upstate NY on the 8th, currently in Michigan's UP. We will follow US2 as far as ND, then into Canada.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:34 AM   #20

Name: Sam
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Registry
Thanks everyone for the hospitality. I'm amazed at the number of responses so quickly. I've watched the forum for over a year and searched it for answers to my questions but never posted one. I think I'm pretty prepared but am happy to have the tips as there is always something I hadn't thought of.

The first time I heard the 'fill-up every chance you get' advice I thought someone was just extra cautious, but now that I've heard it from almost everyone I talk to I'll be sure to follow that advice.

Deet is on my list as is Bear Spray too... but despite having a grandfather who was an avid hunter and trapshooter I don't own a rifle so wont be bringing one. I must admit Grizzlies are my biggest fear. I hike here and black bears don't concern me but Grizzlies are a whole different ball park.

I've eaten at Double G's as I spent a summer working at Northern Rockies Lodge in Muncho Lake. I've driven from Fort St. John to Watson lake that summer so have a bit of an idea what I'm getting in to, though I've never towed my boler that far, I've only had it a year and mainly just around the central island here.

I've added the clear packing tape that is something I hadn't thought of.

The dog leash story made me laugh... I have a dog aggressive dog that only gets off leash on logging roads in the middle of no-where I thought this would be her summer to get lots of free roaming in.... but your little story has made me rethink that Roger.

Although I wont be doing the Capilano Campground this trip I'm happy for the tip for future reference.