Another Walmart bans overnight parking - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-25-2021, 10:08 AM   #41
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Campgrounds need income to survive and reservations provide income , serendipity does NOT .
I disagree. Paying customers provide the income. Whether I arrive by plan or by chance is immaterial. And they make more with my cash than your credit card as there are no processing fees. I'm tired of going to camp grounds and seeing reserved sites sit empty because people think if they have the money they have the right. And I would suggest that my good will is just as valuable as yours is. Iowa campgrounds set aside atleast 20% of their sites for fcfs and are more than happy to take my cash. So when I travel west, they get my business.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 10:26 AM   #42

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
I went to a Walmart in China a few years back......there were no campers in the parking lot.....interesting thing.....inside the store.....all the products and clothing had tags that read....."Made Here."
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 04:41 PM   #43
tua

Name: Traveler
Trailer: Happier Camper
Utah
Walmarts

What I have discovered, in case any of the diverted are interested is, that it's the Walmarts near bigger suburban areas that are banning the overnight. Probably because of the up and coming homeless populations that stay near big cities, and the proximity of city Walmarts to housing developments.

Isn't it great that we can still all enjoy the FREEDOM TO CHOOSE how we want to camp and travel without bullies making fun of us or questioning why we do it how we do it, or airing "how they don't understand how anyone would enjoy that or do this, or trying to prove how "their way" is better than "your way"?
tua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 05:10 PM   #44

Name: Duane
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
New Brunswick
Well now they say you learn something new each day. It just never occurred to me to travel with a drone to video a scenic stop.

In regards to Walmart camping :
I know some people will abuse almost any kindness afforded them while travelling. These types are probably why Walmart is not allowing overnight camping at some stores. They have every right to do so ! One rotten apple per barrel applies !
getaway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 06:03 PM   #45

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by tua View Post
Isn't it great that we can still all enjoy the FREEDOM TO CHOOSE how we want to camp and travel without bullies making fun of us or questioning why we do it how we do it, or airing "how they don't understand how anyone would enjoy that or do this, or trying to prove how "their way" is better than "your way"?

I think I'll take offence at this name calling and objection to opinions other than their own.
Old 04-25-2021, 08:24 PM   #46

Name: CalCop
Trailer: Casita
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tua View Post
What I have discovered, in case any of the diverted are interested is, that it's the Walmarts near bigger suburban areas that are banning the overnight. Probably because of the up and coming homeless populations that stay near big cities, and the proximity of city Walmarts to housing developments.

I couldn’t have said it better
CalCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 11:11 PM   #47

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Mike
When they learned i had a "good camera" that i always had with me, the president, who was also the president of the Chamber of Commerce, told me to take all the pictures i wanted. Also to take any positive "City goings on and positive developments". So i did. They paid for all the film and developing and when i got the slides back i divided them up and kept the vacations and birthdays and gave them pictures of park pavilions, ball field complexes and new construction in our city. The president got a slide projector and gave a little slide show at his meetings quite often. I had that deal for several years. Although those kinds of deals would be frowned on today, at the time 50 years ago i was cast in a positive light for my cooperation, ability and positive attitude.
iowa Dave
Nothing wrong with that deal, it was good for all concerned.

Our "good camera" growing up was a modest Minolta rangefinder with automatic exposure control and manual override. It served us well, though I always sort of hungered for the ability to change lenses from the stock 45mm.

Using slide film was a big deal to me. It cost much less to develop as you only had to pay the cost of developing and mounting the slide film, saving the high cost of color photographic print paper.

I would likewise divide my slides up by subject. Divvying up and handling slides was so much easier than cutting negative film would have been, especially for a deal like you describe.

Thinking about it now, I can almost smell the solutions we used to develop black and white print film.

Today, with digital cameras and phones, I suspect that the son and daughter in-law have more than 365 pictures of the grandson for just about every year he's alive.

I think the fundamental attraction of taking pictures transcends any differences in techniques or equipment.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 11:35 PM   #48

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Today, with digital cameras and phones, I suspect that the son and daughter in-law have more than 365 pictures of the grandson for just about every year he's alive.

I gave up carrying a camera some time ago. My daughter and son-in-law take way better pictures with their phones than I can with my SLR. The main reason is they always have their phones and they have 24-hour access to the kids.

I was told years ago ( like 50 years ago ) by a senior photographer, that getting the money shot comes down to, " f8 and be there ".
Attached Thumbnails
Baglo S7.jpg  
Old 04-26-2021, 08:18 AM   #49
tua

Name: Traveler
Trailer: Happier Camper
Utah
Walmart Overnight

Back to the subject of this thread......

FYI.....For more info, RVillage has a group called "Walmart Overnighters".

Besides other posters there is a professional driver for Walmart, (who is also an RVer), and he gives updates of most of the Walmarts in the New England area.

https://www.rvillage.com/group/887/walmart-overnighters
tua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 08:36 AM   #50

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Good News

It was announced this morning on our local news that Costco and Sam’s Club will again be handing out food samples . This is great news because now I can afford to take my wife out for lunch again .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 09:45 AM   #51

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I was told years ago ( like 50 years ago ) by a senior photographer, that getting the money shot comes down to, " f8 and be there ".
Quote:
Bonaparte Reserve, 1974

Glenn Baglo/Vancouver Sun

Aboriginal men blocked the road to the Bonaparte Reserve near Cache Creek during a dispute over the collection of a toll from motorists. Photographer Glenn Baglo remembers “I had my camera raised and was follow-focusing (no autofocus in those days). The guy on the hood raised his rifle, pointed it at me and yelled ‘no pictures.’ Without detectable hesitation, I lowered the camera, but did fire one frame first. We had to get the film back to Vancouver so I asked a kind old lady at the Greyhound bus station to take it to Vancouver for me. The photographer who picked up the roll from her said it was hot when he got it, as if she had clutched it in her hand for the whole five-hour trip.”
And nowadays they would probably be live-streaming video from their phones on social media...

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 12:28 PM   #52

Name: Babs
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
WalMart

It seems like the person who started this thread was passing on information, not asking for opinions of people who either utilized Wal-Mart overnight parking or opinions of those who don’t. I can’t believe people are insulting one another over other people’s choices that in no way reflect on their own choices.
Rockytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 12:37 PM   #53

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Tis the nature of internet forums. When there's no dispute about the facts to keep a conversation going, opinions take over!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 12:50 PM   #54

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockytop View Post
It seems like the person who started this thread was passing on information, not asking for opinions of people who either utilized Wal-Mart overnight parking or opinions of those who don’t. I can’t believe people are insulting one another over other people’s choices that in no way reflect on their own choices.
It is likely that you are mistaking avid discussion with insults.
Insults are often inferred where none is implied.

Opinions which are not emphatic are often uninspiring.
It is to be expected of course that emphatic statements solicit emphatic responses

(no offense)
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 01:59 PM   #55

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Elks Club, anyone?

I have several friends who are Elks members, and one of the benefits is being able to "park" overnight or to "camp" in their parking lots. There are hookups. The "club" has pools, showers, restrooms, a bar, and food.

Our local Elks is more than 50 years old, but pretty well maintained. The price of a glass of wine is quite reasonable. I would feel more secure moving from Elks to Elks on a long trip than I would stopping at a rest stop or a WalMart. There are no homeless people or criminals hanging around, at least at ours... and we do have a homeless and crime problem which is increasing.

When I get my trailer back on the road, I have been planning to join, just to take advantage of this benefit. I wonder if other organizations have a similar setup?

I am also not sure what is required regarding reservations or even if there is still a fee for parking overnight... just passing along what I know right now in case it might benefit someone. I think the yearly membership is quite affordable.
Old 04-28-2021, 02:33 PM   #56

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllPea in CA View Post
I have several friends who are Elks members
Shoot, another great group doing good works that won't welcome me because I'm an Atheist.

Oh well, the BBQ children's monthly buffet/meetup is still fun.
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 02:50 PM   #57

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanKilian View Post
Shoot, another great group doing good works that won't welcome me because I'm an Atheist.

Aw Geez! I suspect many members are less than... observant! This caused me to look up some details, and yes, "belief in God" is a requirement for membership. However, they do not define God... So I suppose Buddists and other religions are welcome as well?

Maybe you have a teddy bear you have named "God" and you really BELIEVE in this bear? (Just teasing, no flamewars, please!). Although there are apparently letters of recommendation required and also an "interview." So that might complicate things for the dedicated athiest. So sad... Cracker Barrel for you!
Old 04-28-2021, 02:54 PM   #58

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllPea in CA View Post
I have several friends who are Elks members, and one of the benefits is being able to "park" overnight or to "camp" in their parking lots. There are hookups. The "club" has pools, showers, restrooms, a bar, and food.

Our local Elks is more than 50 years old, but pretty well maintained. The price of a glass of wine is quite reasonable. I would feel more secure moving from Elks to Elks on a long trip than I would stopping at a rest stop or a WalMart. There are no homeless people or criminals hanging around, at least at ours... and we do have a homeless and crime problem which is increasing.

When I get my trailer back on the road, I have been planning to join, just to take advantage of this benefit. I wonder if other organizations have a similar setup?

I am also not sure what is required regarding reservations or even if there is still a fee for parking overnight... just passing along what I know right now in case it might benefit someone. I think the yearly membership is quite affordable.
Some Moose Clubs have this “benefit” too. So it looks as if the large North American Ungulates understand camping and finding a place to park overnight. How could you beat getting tanked up, not having to drive anywhere, just wobble your way out to the back of the property, slide into your camper and nighty night.
No DUI, no standing on one foot, reciting the alphabet backwards and having to spell Czechoslovakia.
Because you are
A Moose brother of mine
You don’t have
To walk the line.
Burma Shave
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 03:14 PM   #59

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanKilian View Post

You BBQ children??
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 03:29 PM   #60

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
You BBQ children??

I'm an Atheist, it's in the rules.
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote