Another Walmart bans overnight parking - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2021, 05:48 PM   #61

Name: CalCop
Trailer: Casita
California
So the rules state Atheist must BBQ children and have at a monthly buffet?
CalCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 06:18 PM   #62

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanKilian View Post
I'm an Atheist, it's in the rules.

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 06:35 PM   #63

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
Well I understand why some Walmart's have changed their policy.

Some community's have passed local ordnance to stop it, as many of us know. Many reasons already covered. 😠 Unluckily I met a person that was a owner of a Scamp 16 ft and on that forum that is part of the problem. At the time one of my friends wife was the manager at a restaurant, Jeff and I was having dinner there. I thought it was a strange way she parked at the restaurant until the following happened.
She plowed though the buffet and her food order. Then waited for the waitresses to be busy then bolted out with out payment or even at least a tip for the waitress. She was making her rounds around the area I live ditching on bills and moving from one Walmart parking lot to another. "This was a few years back (3-4)" She had a brand new Scamp 16 ft and brand new silver SUV, She was just ripping off everyone and giving all of us a bad reputation. In the mornings she would "do her shopping / shoplifting(???) and bolt.
In the last few weeks where I'm a LEO at there has been a few doing this too at camp grounds and streets around them "AKA" pulling in after hours hooking, up dumping ect ect then pulling out at or before daylight.
The second one I met recently in a new Scamp doing some of the same stuff. 😖😠😠😠
Which does piss me off being I've been full time in my Scamp for last 10 years over, and now if I'm traveling with mine I already know what others think and have had happening.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 06:40 PM   #64

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
So back to the BBQ of children what do they taste like. 🤪
Dang I I really hope you was having a brain cloud response 🤔 on wording. In current times though.... 😲
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 06:45 PM   #65

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalCop View Post
So the rules state Atheist must BBQ children and have at a monthly buffet?

Well...
Attached Thumbnails
513184064a74127d3c6bfb46bfd8eb6e.jpg  
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 06:48 PM   #66

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I see the cancel culture cops are hard at work again !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 08:40 PM   #67

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I see the cancel culture cops are hard at work again !

Huh?
Old 04-28-2021, 08:41 PM   #68

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell in Al View Post
Some community's have passed local ordnance to stop it, as many of us know. Many reasons already covered. �� Unluckily I met a person that was a owner of a Scamp 16 ft and on that forum that is part of the problem. At the time one of my friends wife was the manager at a restaurant, Jeff and I was having dinner there. I thought it was a strange way she parked at the restaurant until the following happened.
She plowed though the buffet and her food order. Then waited for the waitresses to be busy then bolted out with out payment or even at least a tip for the waitress. She was making her rounds around the area I live ditching on bills and moving from one Walmart parking lot to another. "This was a few years back (3-4)" She had a brand new Scamp 16 ft and brand new silver SUV, She was just ripping off everyone and giving all of us a bad reputation. In the mornings she would "do her shopping / shoplifting(???) and bolt.
In the last few weeks where I'm a LEO at there has been a few doing this too at camp grounds and streets around them "AKA" pulling in after hours hooking, up dumping ect ect then pulling out at or before daylight.
The second one I met recently in a new Scamp doing some of the same stuff. ��������
Which does piss me off being I've been full time in my Scamp for last 10 years over, and now if I'm traveling with mine I already know what others think and have had happening.
I sincerely hope you mean "ordinance"??
Old 04-28-2021, 09:30 PM   #69

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
That’s the one strange thing about the autocorrect. Regardless of the spelling prowess of the author, auto correct changes the right word to the wrong word because the author happens to have a better vocabulary than the programmer. It makes smart people look stupid and sometimes the other way around. It’s a frustration and that’s the price of technology. Get away from that coaster wagon son, you don’t know anything about heavy machinery. I beat my wife up every morning. I get up at six, she sleeps till seven. Rich man has a bidder at an art auction. Painting on the block is worth $50,000. Bidder texts rich guy for advice on whether to bid or not. Which message did he get?
“No, price too high” or “No price too high.” Even them commas can get you.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 12:03 AM   #70

Name: CalCop
Trailer: Casita
California
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanKilian View Post
Well...
Oh well that explains it all
CalCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 05:32 AM   #71

Trailer: 1972 Boler American
Registry
I wish Walmart would change their policy. IMHO The Idea that a Walmart is a destination for use as a home base for 2 or three days shows a lack of respect for the residents and operators of that location. A travel trailer is not a 40 foot long RV nor is it a 30+ foot trailer. The idea of the original travel trailer has been lost on at least a generation of people. The idea of a large rig is more a bastardization of camping than camping. Doing without is acceptable to many of us. ---end of rant--- I like a few creature comforts but don't want to drag them across the country. My idea of a travel trailer is a comfortable bed and a place to keep a limited amount of clothes clean and dry. My camper of choice is limited to less than 18 feet. I have been traveling with a 1972 13' boler since 1998 The trailer is much modified since 2012 when I was forced by a cracked frame to rebuild or replace my beloved boler. Camping with a tent is possible for me but at 71 I find it near impossible to get off the ground in the morning. I do stay in highway rest stops for up to 8 hours. One of my renovation choices in 2018 was the removal of all semblance of a kitchen from the trailer. I elected to make my trailer a comfortable refuge from the weather when it is temporarily too cold or wet to spend time outside. Yes I do have a heater and an inverter for the ability to electrically warm tea in a 120 volt steam kettle. camping is an outdoor activity after all.
Marty Smiltneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 08:32 AM   #72

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Smiltneek View Post
I wish Walmart would change their policy. IMHO The Idea that a Walmart is a destination for use as a home base for 2 or three days shows a lack of respect for the residents and operators of that location l.
I disagree.
Your "Idea" is a total mischaracterization, citing extremely rare events which are most often prohibited and enforced against when tried...
OVERNIGHTING is neither camping , nor is it a destination for a home base....
WAY over 99% of the time it is simple hospitality for a bit of shopping and a few hours of rest while in transit.
Both Walmart and the traveler benefit.

Would you want to ban any activity which is abused by a tiny minority?

Should Walmart shutdown their stores to prevent shoplifting, or close their restrooms because someone made a mess.
NO!
Good business practice requires diligence and reasonable accommodation and enforcement.
Old 05-15-2021, 08:41 AM   #73

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
To me, if not abused, the Walmart overnight works like a highway rest area.
I agree , if this was fact and not a fabricated fairy tale
Camping this morning at 6:00 AM my neighbor decided he needed to race around on his 4 wheeler . He thought it was reasonable, I did NOT !
The behavior of many Walmart campers seems reasonable to them , maybe not so much to the residents that live around the Walmart and pay property taxes
Old 05-15-2021, 09:21 AM   #74
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Camping this morning at 6:00 AM my neighbor decided he needed to race around on his 4 wheeler . He thought it was reasonable, I did NOT !
That's because you camp in places that require reservations to get a site. i.e. full! Now a Walmart parking lot at 6:00 am on a Saturday morning.......
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 09:28 AM   #75

Registry
Does this look disruptive to the neighborhood around a 24hr Walmart with no residential housing within a 1/4 mile and an interstate highway just a few yards away?
Attached Thumbnails
benton.jpg  
Old 05-15-2021, 09:52 AM   #76

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Does this look disruptive to the neighborhood around a 24hr Walmart with no residential housing within a 1/4 mile and an interstate highway just a few yards away?
Under your theory the exception is the rule
Defending the indefensible can be difficult at times and take a creative imagination.
I will continue to puts down my money , camp at a campsite and leave Walmart for shopping
Old 05-15-2021, 10:55 AM   #77

Registry
Quote:
Under your theory the exception is the rule
Defending the indefensible can be difficult at times and take a creative imagination.
I will continue to puts down my money , camp at a campsite and leave Walmart for shopping
As for defending the indefensible, I have done no such thing.
As for camping, I have never "camped" at a Walmart.
I understand that you tend to stay close to home and have very little use for "overnighting"

The country is somewhat larger than Wisconsin though and "overnighting" is an asset for long distance travelers as well as an asset for the campgrounds at the destination areas.

I of course agree that accepting WalMart or others hospitality should include treating them with respect for their intent.
My parking in their lot with my travel trailer takes very little more room than most full sized pickups these days and facilitates our shopping and travel meals without interfering with anyone else's lives or their peace.
Some folks just like too much control of others (I don't live in an HOA either.)
Old 05-15-2021, 11:11 AM   #78

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Thanks Floyd.

You sound like a reasonable guy.
I hope to meet you and fellers like you at every campsite and overnight parking we use.
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 11:51 AM   #79

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
With my process, finding a campground, checking in, dropping the trailer, setting up; and then rehooking in the morning, packing up; all that takes time.

Why do you drop the trailer? Can't you pretend it's a Walmart?
Old 05-16-2021, 04:48 PM   #80

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Why do you drop the trailer? Can't you pretend it's a Walmart?
It could be because right outside your door at Walmart is a hot food deli, fresh produce, frozen deserts, camping supplies, even movie rentals, then in the morning there is fresh bakery, milk and orange juice and snacks for the road.
On the way out, there is often even a fuel stop right in the parking lot and the highway ramp right around the corner.
All that and no need to pay for a parking spot which is free to every other customer on the lot.

All that and no need to drop the trailer and drive back into town...
Of course you could stop at Walmart on the way to the campground and again the next morning on the way back to the highway.
We usually close the curtains when we sleep (since there is no camping activity needed) so our location is then only limited by our imagination.

If you overnight at a campground you won't use the pool or the playground equipment or even see the nice woodsy atmosphere.
Of course you could imagine that too!