Any good camping spots near Mpls, Mn - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2010, 10:35 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I am looking for a place where I can camp that won't cost an arm and a leg within a 2 hour drive of Minneapolis. I am even thinking seasonal if I like it well enough. It must be on a lake or river. My lilttle dogs must be able to come along.
Anyone know of any I can check out?
Thanks

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:45 AM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Best campgrounf close to MPLS. Just west of the cities about 20 miles.
http://www.threeriversparks.org/parks/bake...campground.aspx
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:24 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 19 ft 2010
Registry
That does look like a nice spot. I have added it to my Minneapolis short list.
Paul Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:39 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
That does look like a nice spot. I have added it to my Minneapolis short list.
The Lake Independence part of the new 3 rivers park system is nice. I have a place real close to there.
Daverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:22 PM   #5

Trailer: 1971 Boler 13 ft
Also west of the twin cities: Baylor Regional Park is nice.

Russ
RussL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:41 PM   #6

Registry
Big telescope at Baylor Regional Park . The club meets almost every weekend .
http://www.mnastro.org/
http://www.mnastro.org/onan/index.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	3nd3m13o75O55Z55Q6a6r030a4abef0b41a83.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	29144

Name:   primative.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  19.8 KB
Attached Thumbnails
systems_both.jpg  
Old 06-28-2010, 02:41 PM   #7

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
We prefer the state park system or national forests. Check out Father Hennepin State Park (a real nice lake and some sites are next to the water) and St. Croix Falls (on the river). Both of these are probably on the edge of your two-hour requirement.
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:25 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Minnesota State Parks - http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/map.html
BruceG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:20 PM   #9

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I will definately try them. I went to River Terrace Park in Monticello, Mn this week for a couple of days, and it is definately a nice place to camp. It is located right on the Mississippi river. Prices are reasonable, the owner is older, and very casual. He will even deliver the campfire wood to your site. It is a nice quiet campground (not sure about the coming weekend tho with all the famillies with kids coming up over the 4th of July).
There is a 16 ft Scamp parked right along the river. Did not see the owners, but the Scamp is there, looks like maybe for the season.
Wondering if anyone on this board owns it?????
I finally got my first camping in for this summer. Back home for the 4th as it is more peaceful here at home on the holiday.
HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY EVERYONE!

Old 07-02-2010, 05:49 AM   #10

Registry
Also check out McCarthy Beach State park .BEST beach in the state.
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/mcc...each/index.html
Old 07-02-2010, 05:01 PM   #11

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
We love Twin Harbors, just north of Duluth , It's right on Lake Superior. Biking and hiking and beach nearby, as well as attractions.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:38 PM   #12

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Floyd,

That is Two Harbors and Karalyn does *not* want to drive up there for a few years. The I-35 construction through Duluth is going to be a nightmare for 2 or 3 years.

There aren't real good options driving through Duluth and with this I-35 situation I would postpone visiting Duluth and north if you haven't a *lot* of patience and skill driving thorough construction areas. I have never seen such a significant road construction rehab. Add lots of time to your travel plans going through Duluth. One entire side of the interstate is gone and most of the entry and exit ramps are closed. There is only one lane in each direction.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:27 PM   #13

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Willow River State Park just outside of Hudson, WI was a nice park when I last visited 20 years ago. I imagine it is still a nice park.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:54 PM   #14

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Floyd,

That is Two Harbors and Karalyn does *not* want to drive up there for a few years. The I-35 construction through Duluth is going to be a nightmare for 2 or 3 years.

There aren't real good options driving through Duluth and with this I-35 situation I would postpone visiting Duluth and north if you haven't a *lot* of patience and skill driving thorough construction areas. I have never seen such a significant road construction rehab. Add lots of time to your travel plans going through Duluth. One entire side of the interstate is gone and most of the entry and exit ramps are closed. There is only one lane in each direction.

Nancy
Thanks... Two Harbors is what I should have said. I find road construction to be more tolerable with the trailer than without,since I am never in a hurry when towing, and my thirteen can go anywhere my TV can go, even through fast food drive-ups![lol]
Your warning about the road construction is really good info. It would certainly put a crimp in travel plans and fun,if your not used to it, or just plain hate heavy traffic.
for those of you who hate traffic... NEVER come westbound on I-80 around Chicago on a Sunday afternoon or evening! That would definitely make the top-ten list for traffic jambs in the U.S.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:29 AM   #15

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Unhappy

I'll toss in my two cents worth of Info as a South-Lander: As for Camping near the Mall of America, my daughter lived in Eagan, MN for 2 years some years ago. A neat county campground near Eagan was Lebanon Hills Campground 12100 Johnny Cake Ridge Road in Apple Valley MN. It would not be to far to drive to the Mall from there. Apple Valley is about 20 miles south of the Twin Cities and just 10 minutes south of the Mall of America (at least that is what the zoo web site has listed). Not sure of a closer one. It is close to the neat MN Zoo as well.
Directions to Zoo
Lebanon Hills Visitor Center and Park

IMHO it would be more fun going to the zoo than visiting the other zoo. Ha! But is worth seeing, it is large with a small amusement park inside, in the center section. Perhaps even larger than when we there last, about 6 years ago, maybe today or at least close. I enjoyed seeing the place. Even did some shopping, MN does not charge a sales tax on clothing & shoes, which can save some cash. A nice place to do some serious walking for sure. But it was a zoo the last time we were there. I believe it was on a Labor Day Monday. Not the best planning for going, but it was a side trip.

Speaking of zoos, in St. Paul there is a really nice small ZOO. Located in Como Park.

But Lebanon Hills Campground would be the place I would choose to visit the Twin Cities.

However, not sure if the fees are good or not for you:
2010 Fees
Non-refundable reservation fee per site per reservation: $7
Full hook-up—water/electric/sewer (site/night): $30 + tax
Electric only (site/night): $25 + tax
No-hook up tent site (site/night): $17 + tax
Firewood (bundle): $7.00 + tax
Dump Station (non-guests only): $8
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:15 PM   #16

Thanks everyone. I will check them ALL out. I try to avoid those construction areas though so Duluth has been out for this yr. Nancy is right on, I hate sitting in traffic when I could already be at the campground sitting by the camp fire enjoying a nice cool Mt Dew or ?
Old 10-19-2010, 05:57 PM   #17

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16'
North Dakota
Registry
Do any of the parks still have shower facilities open as of this weekend?
2005 Chevrolet Extended Cab Silverado
Tezha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:29 PM   #18

Check out MN STATE PARKS, then check out SEASONAL UPDATE. Some parks are open through this weekend. Water is only on through Saturday where I am headed tomorrow (Interstate State Park).
Old 10-09-2011, 08:28 PM   #19

Name: Tyler
Trailer: 72 Cloud
Wisconsin
Registry
They are still working on the interstate through Duluth but it is getting much better now, you can easily get through with any kind of camper. Just thought I would update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
Floyd,

Nancy
EddyEd is offline   Reply With Quote