AZ BLM/Public boondocking sites - publication - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-22-2015, 06:08 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 Taylor Coach 17 ft
AZ BLM/Public boondocking sites - publication

I believe there are some publications available for purchase (Amazon?) that give detailed location info on "boondocking" sites on public lands in AZ (BLM, Trust?), but I am not sure of their exact titles. Does anyone use one and can you describe what location and campsite details it gives? And its exact title? Many thanks.
Cheers John
John McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:40 PM   #2

Name: Larry
Trailer: Escape
Oregon
There is a free App. available called "PDF MAPS" from this you can download free forest service and other maps, the "motor vehicle" maps show where you can boondock and where you can't. They have maps that cover most of the popular western districts. You can also go to the Webb sight for the forest service or BLM district your interested in an download maps and info.
larryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:20 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Taylor Coach 17 ft
Thanks for the info.
I have been to BLM web sites and have not been able to find any good maps that could actually be used to find specific sites. If you know how to find them online at the BLM website I would appreciate a link to one then maybe I could backtrack at the the link to see how you found it. Specifically I am interested in some BLM dispersed camping a couple miles south of Ajo, AZ if that helps you to pick an area to look for a map link.

Cheers John
John McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:46 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
John, I down-loaded ultimatecampgrounds.com , Oh,ranger!, and allstays camp & rv to find places to stay.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:18 PM   #5

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
Free and cheap sites

There is the book "Don Wright's Guide to Free Campgrounds", 14th ed, $25.00. I don't know that it is free anywhere. It is not available at Camper World, but you can get it on Amazon and other local RV stores.

It is invaluable for identifying free and low cost sites, especially in the West. It's amazing how many small towns have free or cheap city park or other RV camping faciliteis. Included are sites that are $12 or less including the federal lands sites.

It gives good information on the sites such as location, directions, facilities, and even GPS coordinates for those with ipads.
Scamper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:21 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Google "Technomadia", a forum member here, has books and apps.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:56 PM   #7

Name: joe
Trailer: burro 1982
Tennessee
Thanks. I just purchased a 1982 burro. Looking forward to finding free or chew p sites in Tennessee.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:41 AM   #8

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Former Escape 19 owner
Virginia
Registry
You may also want to check out the RVSue and Her Canine crew blog. Sue boondocks every winter in AZ and has good info on camp sites.

rvsue and her canine crew | Living on less and enjoying life more
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:20 AM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
In addition to the Apps already mentioned there also a number of websites.

One of the websites is called Freecampsites.net that has listings by state and in most cases the actual GPS location is given.

Another is Freecampgrounds.com - most of the listings including the description directions on how to get to the site.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:21 AM   #10

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
If you Google "boondocking Ajo Az." you will get some helpful information. A Benchmark road and recreation atlas is a "must have" for me when I want to leave paved roads. The aps mentioned above are also great. Having a printed map with latitude and longitude shown and a handheld GPS really saved me last year when I made a wrong turn on a unmarked dirt road on the Navajo Reservation. The Benchmark (Delorme is another very good one) map does not have batteries that will go dead or suffer from no satellite signal.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:38 AM   #11

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I've stopped at BLM offices and asked for information with mixed results. Some times I get helpful suggestions and other times I am sure I'm talking to someone who does not have the knowledge or desire to provide any information at all. I've printed maps from some of the BLM websites also. It's a guess as to weather you will get useful information from a BLM office but it's always worth a try.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:00 PM   #12

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Interesting note: Don Wrights guide to "free" campgrounds that includes camping locations under $12 (if it didn't it would be one thin book!) does not show even one location in New York State...not even a New York State section.
I know there are free sites available in the Adirondack Mountain region yet none are included in this 6 million area park. I purchased the book via Amazon and was pleased with the listings in many states but was suprised such a publication missed so many sites in the Adirondacks.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:46 PM   #13

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
You may want to contact the author regarding the sites in NY. I checked a couple of the web free sites and there are indeed some for NY. He must have had a bad experience there and decided to write that state off or he doesn't want any more tourists up in that area!
Scamper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:45 PM   #14

Name: joe
Trailer: burro 1982
Tennessee
Thanks so much for all the helpful tips. Forgive me for not making a reply earlier. I am not very good with navigating this forum. Actually I feel tech challenged.I am res Lily looking forward to the camping season coming summer. It would be great to meet some other members.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:02 PM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
It seems things (and technology) change hourly. Just be adaptable and don't get frustrated or angry if your "normal" doesn't fit what you think you know... printed maps that are years old can be the worst. If you find yourself in a situation where you think one thing and reality is something else, be humble, be apologetic and file it under Lessons Learned.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking