Back at Agave Gulch FamCamp Tucson - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-05-2015, 01:56 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Back at Agave Gulch FamCamp Tucson

Our First Trip with the Lance since December. Nice to be be out in it again.

Spending the 4th of July in Tucson to be our grandson & our daughter and for his upcoming 6th Birthday.

We are staying in the Lance at night at the Agave Gulch FamCamp on Davis-Mothan AFB.

Not many there this time of year & we lucked out finding a site with some Shade & real Trees. Rare there. In the evening, it had Shade over the Lance. Hottest time of the day & we were setup the Lance.....very helpful. Photos taken around 11 am with cloudy skies yesterday morning, as they are today. Very much cooler than the day we arrived on the 3th.

2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 01:58 PM   #2

Smile Fireworks at D-M AFB

Fireworks at D-M AFB was very nice last night. Even had Shuttles from parking areas to the site.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:20 AM   #3

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Nice! We were there last month in our Scamp checking out the Boneyard :-)
Loved seeing A-10's flying again, had to buy an A-10 shirt at the BX. I'm guessing you're already a member of the Air Force Frequent Camper program?
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:55 AM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Hmmm. Pics of camp grounds, scenery and fireworks are nice, but 6 pics of big, heavy stickys, complete with slide outs. IMHO, not so nice.... please?

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
Nice! We were there last month in our Scamp checking out the Boneyard :-)
Loved seeing A-10's flying again, had to buy an A-10 shirt at the BX. I'm guessing you're already a member of the Air Force Frequent Camper program?
No, Radar, we are not a members. We can only use the FamCamp by being quests of our Daughter or our Son. She married to an Air Force Reserver member & our son is active duty Air Force.

Bob Miller, sorry you don't like our rig, but couldn't show the site without showing the Lance. However, we just love our Lance. It is so comfy.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:58 PM   #6

Ok, I understand, you are showing pics of a campsite we can't go to anyway?

I don 't have any problems with sticky, it's just that this is a site for Molded Fiberglass trailers

Old 07-06-2015, 02:17 PM   #7

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
I looked at Lance's before I got the Escape, they were on my short list back then. Nice units as far as conventional trailers are concerned. I take it you are done with FG trailers?
Old 07-06-2015, 03:27 PM   #8

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Adrian, Sweet camper and pictures. Thanks for sharing!
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin00 View Post
I looked at Lance's before I got the Escape, they were on my short list back then. Nice units as far as conventional trailers are concerned. I take it you are done with FG trailers?
Still a fan of molded fiberglass, but our needs have changed with increased age & grandkids.

Really started wanting a wider bed, one of the only negative aspects we found with our Scamp.

The aluminum frame & fiberglass construction plus the quality of construction of the Lance, as well as not being too large of a unit (compare to many TT on the market) & it being somewhat lighter than many of the other trailers the same size, we are happy with it.

I've always liked this forum & have found most folks friendly & liked to keep in contact with the people on here. Time will tell.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:01 PM   #10

Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
Bob
Get off your high horse. I spent a year on Davis Monathan AB as a teenager and enjoyed the post from Adrian. Just shows another lovely benefit for our service members.
RRIZZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:07 PM   #11

My hubby and I dont have a FiberGlass trailer but have been included at many FGRV rallies by friends who do have a FBRV. ( 1 Boler and 2 BigFoot 5ths)
FGRV has always been a welcoming and very informative site. We have made many wonderful friendships thru FGRV and I think that comments like Bob's would give off a bad vibe to anyone visiting the site for the first time.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:13 PM   #12

Adrian
Thanks for sharing and a bless you for your service to your son and son in law.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:36 PM   #13

Name: Michael
Trailer: In the Market
Virginia
Thanks Adrain, great post. Great camper and campground. I hope to hear from you again. Michael
mbbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 02:10 AM   #14

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Good post Rosemary. If only molded owners were allowed to join and post on this site there would be a few members that post daily that would be gone. That would be too bad because they have knowledge and experience with trailers that can, and is, given freely to others. A small FGRV or million $ rig still uses the same refers, heaters and other components. There have been a lot of stickie folks that post a question and a lot have been answered or directed to a better forum for answers. This is a great site.
If I were broke down on the side of the road and a stick owner stopped to help me I certainly wouldn't send them on their way because they weren't a molded trailer owner.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:17 AM   #15

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
My neighbor has a big 40` motor home, we share is camp fire when he camps local and talk about things concerning rv`ing. He likes my little bug. In a lot of ways i like is giant rig. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:24 AM   #16

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Ok, I understand, you are showing pics of a campsite we can't go to anyway?.....................
Actually, there are quite a few here that served and qualify (retired, disabled) to use military campgrounds. Sometimes they even let an old draftee in if a spot is available and you ask politely (Sgt. US Army 69-70).

Adrian, thanks for posting, the pics bring back a few welcome memories. I spent time a bit south of there (Ft Huachuca) and often drove up to DM - the flyboys had much better PX's than us grunts

I appreciate all your input and doubt there's anyone more knowledgeable and willing to share their southwest experience on this or any other board - Thanks.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:49 AM   #17
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Great pictures. Better in person I'm sure. The southwest is so very different than New England. I always enjoy seeing it. No matter where we camp we always walk the dog after supper and tour the campground to see the different rigs. Thanks for sharing, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:54 AM   #18

Service to Our country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al & Cindy K View Post
Actually, there are quite a few here that served and qualify (retired, disabled) to use military campgrounds. Sometimes they even let an old draftee in if a spot is available and you ask politely (Sgt. US Army 69-70).

Adrian, thanks for posting, the pics bring back a few welcome memories. I spent time a bit south of there (Ft Huachuca) and often drove up to DM - the flyboys had much better PX's than us grunts

I appreciate all your input and doubt there's anyone more knowledgeable and willing to share their southwest experience on this or any other board - Thanks.

Al
According to the Veterans Administration, only about 13% all of male Americans, and less than 2% of female Americans, have served in active and reserve components of the military. That said, I think that the term "quite a few" may be a misnomer.

Being a veteran myself, (Navy, 1961-64) I have inquired in the past about making use of a number of military camping facilities and have been politely and rightly informed that they only have sufficient space to make them available to active duty, service disabled, and retired personnel.

Seeing it fair that only members of this group have access to this benefit, saying that they are "not available" to others, is an accurate statement and is as it should be.....

Old 07-07-2015, 06:04 PM   #19

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Don't want this forum to become a sticky forum, but former fiberglass owners who share their knowledge are always welcome to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-07-2015, 07:20 PM   #20

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Military campgrounds

We met a couple from Nova Scotia at Ft. Pickens last March. He is a retired Canadian Air Force pilot, and after a week or so at Ft. Pickens, they moved to one of the military campgrounds outside of Pensacola. Not only admitted, but paid the military rate of $13/day as well. So maybe some are stricter in controlling access, or filled up, some are less so.

I do not qualify, but that perk is one that I really do not mind supporting out of my taxes.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote