Beautiful BC -- the Hazeltons - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2008, 07:38 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
I've been working in the Hazeltons in northwest BC off and on, for the past few months, and each time I go, I think, I gotta get my family here to see this!

So this Friday I was scheduled to travel there, kid had no school, hubby got the day off and I got to share this lush valley with them.

Where to begin? You turn off the highway from a modern small town with its gas stations and cafes and motels, and are transported into a wild west town of 1860. It's a fifteen-minute drive down smooth asphalt.

Just before the old-trading-post downtown, with its quaint waterfront, there is a world-class museum, that people from Europe, and around the world, travel to see. The world map in the Museum's vestibule show us Germans and Australians and even people from Antarctica think it's worth the trip.

I'm a relatively-nearby neighbour, and did not know know what I was driving past on Highway 16.

The museum recreates the long houses of old of the Gitxsan people, where they lived and danced and talked and feasted and carved in the long winters. Our guide was a modern young Gitxsan, who lives in the next village, and introduces himself by his clan (Fireweed) and house (Hummingbird).

Then you see and hear the wealthy culture that existed, and still exists, as he offers you a drum to beat and feel in your heart. Here's the link to the museum: http://www.ksan.org/

More to the point, the campground has river-front camping spots for dry-camping (which I recommend!) as well as full hook-up sites just a few yards away from the river.
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:45 AM   #2

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Hi Charlynn, Good to read a post from you.

Sorry we passed by this place twice on our trip past your place. There is never enough time when traveling, but I think we would have made the effort to see this place had we known about the history.

Thanks for sharing.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:58 PM   #3

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I use to live there many, many years ago. I lived in New Hazelton, worked in South Hazelton. It is quite a sight crossing the one lane bridge over the canyon betwen New Town and Old Town. If you want to pursue interesting sights make the trip up to Kispiox village and see the wonderful collection of totem poles.There is one we called the crying tears. Ask around and get directions because there is a back road that connects from the Kispiox Rd to Kitwanga. Mount Roche de bule may not be as spectacular as the Seven Sisters but many locals found inspiration from the mountain peak that overlooks the valley. During my time living there I was in awe of the fellow who had the car wash. It was the first place people get to wash their rigs after coming off the Cassiar Hwy south of Watson Lake . It was an alternate to the Alaska Hwy. Much of it was gravel so it made a mess. I learned how much pride people had in their rigs when I watch how much effort people put into washing the mud off of their rigs as soon as they could. Fond memories.
Kent I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:33 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
I've been working in the Hazeltons in northwest BC off and on, for the past few months, and each time I go, I think, I gotta get my family here to see this!

So this Friday I was scheduled to travel there, kid had no school, hubby got the day off and I got to share this lush valley with them.

Where to begin? You turn off the highway from a modern small town with its gas stations and cafes and motels, and are transported into a wild west town of 1860. It's a fifteen-minute drive down smooth asphalt.

Just before the old-trading-post downtown, with its quaint waterfront, there is a world-class museum, that people from Europe, and around the world, travel to see. The world map in the Museum's vestibule show us Germans and Australians and even people from Antarctica think it's worth the trip.

I'm a relatively-nearby neighbour, and did not know know what I was driving past on Highway 16.

The museum recreates the long houses of old of the Gitxsan people, where they lived and danced and talked and feasted and carved in the long winters. Our guide was a modern young Gitxsan, who lives in the next village, and introduces himself by his clan (Fireweed) and house (Hummingbird).

Then you see and hear the wealthy culture that existed, and still exists, as he offers you a drum to beat and feel in your heart. Here's the link to the museum: http://www.ksan.org/

More to the point, the campground has river-front camping spots for dry-camping (which I recommend!) as well as full hook-up sites just a few yards away from the river.
Hey, no fair making me want to take a 2500 mile trip when I have to stay home and work! Sounds like a wonderful area to visit.

Mike
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:16 PM   #5

Hi Nancy!

Nice to hear from you! I know you were on a quest to see family in Alaska last time you came through, if you come by again you can stop to smell the (wild) roses.

PS Great "camping wine," thanks!

Quote:
Hi Charlynn, Good to read a post from you.

Sorry we passed by this place twice on our trip past your place. There is never enough time when traveling, but I think we would have made the effort to see this place had we known about the history.

Thanks for sharing.

Nancy
Old 09-22-2008, 11:31 PM   #6

Hi Kent,

Sad news re back road, it was front page news in the local paper, "Three Rivers Report" (Kispiox, Bulkley, Skeena) last week! The prov gov has decided to "decommision" that road, and local people are upset. Apparently they preferred the back road, especially in winter, as packed snow on the back road is better (safer) than black ice on the paved highway.

You will get this: officials had placed avalanche gates along the road to deter people from driving it, so locals simply cut off the locks and went through! So then officials had to dig DEEP ditches across the back road either end.

Hazeltonians are resourceful, though, who knows how they will deal with that development!

- NOR-WESTERNER

Quote:
Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Ask around and get directions because there is a back road that connects from the Kispiox Rd to Kitwanga.

Fond memories.