Been turned away due to your egg camper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2014, 09:21 AM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp 13
Ohio
Been turned away due to your egg camper

I have a 2011 Scamp 13 and was told Small Trailers are not allowed.
mmiller4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:28 AM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
Where? More details please.
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:35 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:15 AM   #4

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Minnesota
I've never run into that myself but my assumption would be that any campground catering to large trailers only would have all the charm of a Walmart parking lot.

I'd prefer to go elsewhere thank you.
Randy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:37 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 13
Ohio
Near Williamsburg Va. It was posted at the gate but not mentioned on line. Their house their rules like I used to tell my kids.
mmiller4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:53 AM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiller4 View Post
Near Williamsburg Va. It was posted at the gate but not mentioned on line. Their house their rules like I used to tell my kids.
There may be a reason for no mention on line....Nowadays, "public accommodation" often trumps a business owner's preferences.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:17 AM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I have had it happen as well more than once. Usually late at night when looking for a quick stop over and I mistakenly pull into a RV resort type place that caters to BIG rigs. One time it was due to the age of the trailer - they did not allow anything over 10 years of age and on another occasion it was with a brand new 22' motorhome - which was 3' to short of their 25' or larger rule.

I once was allowed to stay at a place that turned away a brand new much larger trailer a Trail-lite, due to it having a front pop out that had canvas on the sides.

I am also aware that there are lots of places will also turn you away if you are not fully self contained - i.e. shower and black and grey tanks even though they have very nice washrooms with showers.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:40 AM   #8

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
The ones that get me are the parks that cater to large fully self contained motor homes by having all sites pull through with 50 amp electric and sewer/city water. Tend to be expensive sites. Then charge me tokens to use the shower in the bath house!

Stayed at one when camping with my sister in a resort area. I use electric to run a light and a laptop. They run their water heater off the park electric service. Use 5 or 6 times the water as the smaller campers (all 5 in the park). Not many pop ups or small campers have dishwasher or washer/dryer. Yet I have to pay extra to take a shower.

Nice people running the place, nice location but sure were not encouraging the small campers.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:30 PM   #9

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Hay Roger, Got any Grey Pupon?
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:39 PM   #10
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
This guy sells the GP buy the case!!!!

Wonder what his big fifth wheels looks like??
Attached Thumbnails
rolls truck.jpg  
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:46 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiller4 View Post
I have a 2011 Scamp 13 and was told Small Trailers are not allowed.
Never happened to me. But then I don't ever go to RV resorts sometimes called RV Parks. I figure those are rip offs.

To each their own.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:23 PM   #12

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Never happened to me but I generally use an App when looking for a place to stop overnight and I can usually tell by looking at the web site. Also, because I may drive until I get tired I call to make sure the place has openings, and they almost always ask what equipment you have. Even so, never been refused.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 12-09-2014, 03:23 PM   #13

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
I ran into an RV Resort near Tampa that didn't mention anything online about size, but they contacted me after I sent in the request to register form. They said my trailer was too old for their resort. I even sent them pictures so they could see it wasn't a falling apart stickie. I wonder what would have happened if I had lied about the year of manufacture. Could they have told by looking at it? I don't think so. Anyway, after more research I found a much more comfortable place for our VT anyway. We tend to avoid anything with "resort" in the name now.

On the other hand, we stopped at a small town campground where the sign said FULL. I was mainly stopping to see if they had any other suggestions in the area when they surprised me my saying, "You have such a small trailer that we can fit you in on the infield grass. Do you have a long electric cord?" Of course I did! I guess it doesn't hurt to ask even if the sign says No Vacancy.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 04:33 PM   #14
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy P. View Post
I've never run into that myself but my assumption would be that any campground catering to large trailers only would have all the charm of a Walmart parking lot.

I'd prefer to go elsewhere thank you.
For sure Randy... If there is a quiet corner in the park somewhere that is where we will park..... Like this site at Science Hill campground near St. Mary's Ontario.
Attached Thumbnails
airw Window x 016.jpg  
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 04:40 PM   #15

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post

No fancy mustard but I do have some plain yellow mustard in a squeeze bottle. If you hold that hot dog up I bet I can squirt it from here! Now you just roll down the window and hold the hot dog up..... oops I missed, let me try again!

Sometimes one has to accommodate the others in a group. My sister had two young grandkids for the weekend trip to Frankenmuth, and this park was close to a water park and other amusements for the kids. Along with having the 50 amp service they need (though they can get by on 30 amp it's just sort of a hassle) and the on site sewer they prefer so they can dump without waiting in line.

Can't complain too much, they once dragged their 34 ft. camper back into the National Forest on access roads to spend a long weekend in one of our favorite places.

Me I draw the line at campgrounds that don't allow campfires, aside from those that are complying with area fire hazard restrictions in effect. Those that simply don't allow campfires? Talk about an RV parking lot! Been there done that and now have an understanding between us that we won't do it again.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:29 PM   #16

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Any place that won't let my trailer in is a place I don't want to stay at, anyway. And I don't mean 'sour grapes,' I mean that it really isn't my sort of campground to begin with and besides that I don't want to give such places any business.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:40 PM   #17

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Any place that won't let my trailer in is a place I don't want to stay at, anyway. And I don't mean 'sour grapes,' I mean that it really isn't my sort of campground to begin with and besides that I don't want to give such places any business.
I don't know it can be fun to fire up the camp stove on the picnic table to make coffee and cook breakfast over a fire while surrounded by frightened faces peering out of mega motorhome windows wondering what barbarism will I pull next?

OMG he is doing dishes AND feeding his dog OUTSIDE!
Sometimes I don't think they even notice I'm not wearing pants
Old 12-09-2014, 05:51 PM   #18

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Paraphrasing Groucho Marx, "...I wouldn't stay at any place that wouldn't have me."
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:28 PM   #19
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
KOA in Glenwood Springs, Colorado, August 2014. After I answered the length inquiry with "17 feet," I was told they could not accommodate us. (This was over the phone as we were just passing through, looking for a place to stop for the night.)

If the campground really was full, why ask the length of my RV?
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:02 PM   #20

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2014 scamp 16
Kansas
Walmart has never turned me away, and a few truck stops have given me dirty looks, but never ran me off. But, I have yet to find one where I wanted to spend a few days. LOL
JIM Midway usa is offline   Reply With Quote