Best Beaches to camp at/near? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2015, 02:50 PM   #21

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I'm particularly fond of beaches where you can be alone (by alone I mean with Ginny).

Along the western coast of Newfoundland the mailmen use to walk the mail between coastal communities. These trails are often under the Tuckamore, stunted pine bent inland by the ocean winds.

In sections of Tuckamore over generations mailman have created virtual tunnels creating a wonderful walking trail, every now and then peeping out to long sections of beach side trails.

Ginny and I have walked this trail at least twice. I don't recall ever seeing another person on the trail. Tucked in the Tuckamore are little protected spots where it looks like animals may bed down.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:43 PM   #22

Name: Tom
Trailer: Casita
Louisiana
Henderson Beach State Park: Pets are allowed in family camping areas overnight. BUT: Pets are not allowed on the beach. This is the reason we don't camp on the Gulf. For pet owners this is a huge buzz kill. I can understand cleaning up after your pet; as we always do but not to allow them on the beaches period. I just don't agree with that.[/QUOTE]

Fort Pickens is our favorite place to beach camp. Pensacola Beach now has two dog beaches right on the gulf. They are labeled as such and have signage as well as the doggie waste stations. The GPS information is:

30.326439, -87.175226
Ft. Pickens Rd. 6 miles from campground

30.345020, -87.068993
Via De Luna 12 miles from campground

We've been several times lately and have found those 2 areas to be clean. Of course leashes are required.
Tom Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:08 PM   #23

Name: Tonnie
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Hi Ginny and Norm,

I've been trying to answer your message to me and every time I do it in the private message form, it disappears. At this point I'm flummoxed what is going on.

Will you message me again and give me an email address or tell me what I'm doing wrong? I hit submit and I get a message on the screen saying I don't have access. I'm signed in, so I don't know what's happening. Do responses go through a moderator first before showing up as sent?
Tonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:33 PM   #24

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I'm particularly fond of beaches where you can be alone (by alone I mean with Ginny).

Along the western coast of Newfoundland the mailmen use to walk the mail between coastal communities. These trails are often under the Tuckamore, stunted pine bent inland by the ocean winds.

In sections of Tuckamore over generations mailman have created virtual tunnels creating a wonderful walking trail, every now and then peeping out to long sections of beach side trails.

Ginny and I have walked this trail at least twice. I don't recall ever seeing another person on the trail. Tucked in the Tuckamore are little protected spots where it looks like animals may bed down.
That tuckamore is really neat, it is completely impenetrable otherwise. Maybe the mailman was taking a nap. Where was this particular trail?
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:02 PM   #25

Florida
Paul,

Here's a list of some of the trails. I believe it's number 20

Parks Canada - Gros Morne National Park - Hiking

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-25-2015, 03:09 PM   #26

Name: Tom
Trailer: Casita
Louisiana
Nearest dog beach to Fort Pickens. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1424898574.731498.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	80731
Tom Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:52 PM   #27

Colorado
Thanks, Norm, we did not do that trail, but some others on that list. It was all beautiful.

Paul
Old 02-25-2015, 07:37 PM   #28

Florida
Paul,

We had 11 over for desert and coffee, to integrate new members and old members, all Rvers that have traveled a lot. Only four of us had been to Newfoundland. The gathering led to a Newfoundland chat with the four of us relating stories, the others probing why we liked Newfoundland so much. Really fun, wish you were here.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-26-2015, 02:43 PM   #29

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
My favorite so far is the Outer Banks. I stayed at all 4 national campgrounds last year.

Oregon Inlet
Cape Hatteras (Buxton, Cape Point)
Frisco
Ocracoke Island

Campgrounds - Cape Hatteras National Seashore (U.S. National Park Service)
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 02:59 PM   #30

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighth001 View Post
(if I could find a way to take my camper to Hawaii...)
We went to St John USVI last spring, there was a small Jayco camper down the road from us parked in someones back yard.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:22 PM   #31

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Not really Scamp friendly but still our favorite beach front camping spot is Portsmouth Island on Cape Lookout NS (much less famous and much more inaccessible than her sister to the north, Cape Hatteras NS).

While you can take your camper over (we had our 16' Scamp there once), tent camping or one of the Park Service cabins are better options as there are no paved roads or services of any type on the island. There are seldom more than 50-60 people there at its busiest time.

The only access is by boat; a private ferry from Morris Marina out of Atlantic can carry 4-6 vehicles

Camping is permitted between the dunes and high tide line in most places on the twenty mile long island. A group of us were there last March;

Sunrise scenes from our tent

This visitor was kind enough to share his/her beach with us

There's an abandoned village on the north end with a restored Coast Guard Station, Methodist Church, School; Post Office and a dozen or so homes

The NPS cabins are directly on the beach and rent for around $125/night (six bunk beds, stove, john, shower)
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 04:40 PM   #32
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
We've experienced the mosquitos on Hatteras. I hear they are worse on Portsmouth? I can't imagine pulling a trailer in the sand. Do you need the same beach driving permit you need in Hatteras? Thanks for the great pictures. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:10 PM   #33

Raz, the Mosquitos can certainly be vicious there and the greenheads even worse but, if you stay on the ocean side of the dunes and if the wind is from offshore as it normally is, neither is much of a problem. Trust me, if they were an issue, my wife would NOT be a fan of the place and we wouldn't have made at least one trip over for the past thirty five years.

Although we took our 16' over once, it's not something I'd recommend. I posted this because not too many people are familiar with Cape Lookout NS and, in my opinion, it has the most pristine beaches on the east coast. The Park Service cabins aren't too bad and they're within walking distance of the ferry landing for those who don't tent or may not have a 4WD vehicle.

At this time, a permit is not required for beach driving on Cape Lookout but I expect that to change in the near future.

Cindy and I have a trip planned for the first weekend in May and you'd be more than welcome to join us.

Al
Old 02-28-2015, 06:04 AM   #34
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al & Cindy K View Post

Cindy and I have a trip planned for the first weekend in May and you'd be more than welcome to join us.

Al
Thank you for the kind offer. For now, the puppy is too young (or perhaps we're too old) for such adventure. Maybe when she has calmed down a little more. After such a long winter we will most likely head for OBX once the garden is planted. Mid May on. Perhaps we'll see you if you head home up route 12. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:08 AM   #35

Puppies and old folks both do well on Portsmouth. One of the couples on our trip last year had a retired Army ordnance detection dog. It was kind of neat seeing her check out our screen room before letting anyone in her family enter.

Let us know when you head down to the OBX. If you come down I95 and turn east on 64 in Rocky Mount, you'll pass within a mile or so of our home. We make several trips each year to the Hatteras area and usually stay at the NPS Frisco campground. Maybe we'll make it at the same time this year.

Al
Old 02-28-2015, 12:19 PM   #36

Name: Susie
Trailer: 2012 Lil Snoozy #151 - sold in 2018
Arizona
Registry
Thanks for the great info, folks. We are heading from NC to FL in late March or April, but have never been that way for camping before.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:38 PM   #37

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Does it have to be in the camper? If you ever get a chance and can get a site, Steep Ravine Environmental CG just over the Golden Gate from SF was probably our most memorable campground at the beach. Tent or cabin rentals, used to be only 3 cabins. Wonderful but long hike up Mt Tam from the CG.

Campsite was $3, now it's $25.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:55 PM   #38

Name: Herman & Ann
Trailer: Casita SD
Pensacola Florida
Gulf Islands National Seashore, Ft Pickins Pensacola Fl. Unbelievable beautiful and close to everything you might need but look to the south at night and you are alone in the world.
Herman M Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:52 PM   #39

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman M Parker View Post
Gulf Islands National Seashore, Ft Pickins Pensacola Fl. Unbelievable beautiful and close to everything you might need but look to the south at night and you are alone in the world.
We'll be there in a few weeks if all goes well.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:38 AM   #40

Name: Ellen
Trailer: Scamp 13
No Fixed Abode
Gulf Islands National Seashore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman M Parker View Post
I would echo this - a fantastic spot! We've got some pics from our time there on our blog. Amazing sunsets. The Cynical Sailor & His Salty Sidekick: Going For A Walk: Fort Pickens, Gulf Islands National Seashore, Florida
CynicalSailor is offline   Reply With Quote