Best Time in the Maritimes - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-18-2019, 09:04 AM   #1

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Best Time in the Maritimes

We’re planning a trip to New England and the Maritimes (NS, NB, and PEI). Due to schedule constraints, it has to be in early June or mid-October. We’re thinking October.

Any thoughts on either time frame?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:31 AM   #2

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I would agree with October being better. The leaf colors are spectacular (most years). In VT, the peak colors are usually from last week in September to second week in October, north to south. In the Maritimes it may start a few days earlier. It is a very busy time, lots of "leaf peepers" show up. Hotels fill up, but campgrounds may be OK. Still, I would call ahead.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:23 AM   #3

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Colorado
Both times are great, however the fall will definitely be busier and booking ahead will be important. I was there last June and still made reservations as I wanted to be sure to get in certain spots, but there was some availability in most places if you weren’t too picky about sites.
ckayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:48 AM   #4

Name: guy
Trailer: Ventura
Alberta
tourist area in maritime

Take note that in NB NS PEI the tourist season may be short . After sept long weekend tourist area are closing and to a "come-by-chance" meaning that they may be open if there is a schedule event such as a tour bus or the such.
yug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:15 PM   #5

Name: George
Trailer: 85 Uhaul CT 13
North Carolina
We traveled the Maritime in July of last year, so we could incorporate the yearly Maritime Rally into our plans. The weather was perfect mid 70's with very little precipitation. Loved the rally and made many new Canadian friends. To your point the weather will be about 10 degrees warmer in June, ave mid to upper 60's nights around 50. Research also shows a little more precipitation in October. Love the Maritime's and are planning a return visit next year when the rally will be in P.E.I.
George Lauver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:23 PM   #6

Name: Cathi
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Nova Scotia
daylight

Daylight hours are much longer in June.
Tillie and Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 01:02 PM   #7

North Carolina
Excellent point Tillie and Tyler, 3 1/2 to 4 hours difference.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:12 PM   #8

Arizona
Registry
Good point and one I hadn’t considered. Thx!
Old 02-18-2019, 02:45 PM   #9

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
+10 I’ve done June before and that would be my choice. As I recall, tourist season started the second week of June in PEI.

IMHO Nova Scotia and PEI coast lines are spectacular and much less traffic than Maine. Seems like US citizens prefer to not cross the border. New Brunswick was ok, but better to spend time in PEI and NS.

I need to go back again!!!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:46 PM   #10

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner 2016 Honda Pilot
North Carolina
I have been several times in June and loved it!

Pro:
  • Lupines are in bloom (beautiful!)
  • lobster season (need I say more...)
  • oyster season (")
  • nice weather, though sometimes cool
  • Not much crowding
  • PEI new potatoes (late June, an entirely different vegetable -- so good!)
  • As mentioned earlier, longer daylight hours than October
  • Puffins!!!
Con:
  • Some of the tours and venues don't open until July 1st
neparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:50 PM   #11

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner 2016 Honda Pilot
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
+10 I’ve done June before and that would be my choice. As I recall, tourist season started the second week of June in PEI.

IMHO Nova Scotia and PEI coast lines are spectacular and much less traffic than Maine. Seems like US citizens prefer to not cross the border. New Brunswick was ok, but better to spend time in PEI and NS.
Agree!!
neparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:49 PM   #12

Name: Mike
Trailer: !977 KingsleyGMC, 1968 Bailey Mikado
Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by neparker View Post
Agree!!

What Anne aka neparker said !

Mike the Bluenoser aka Panhead_Mike
panhead_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:28 PM   #13

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Maybe ya all could come a few weeks early and hit the Spring Fling in New England Rally in New Hampshire. It would be great to meet some more of our FGRV members.
Dated this year is May 16-19 at the Chocorua Camping Village KOA in Chocorua NH
Go to the Rally page to get reservation numbers.
As said the short season up here in the nor'east is kind of short to think your going to get here in October, hardly no campgrounds are open after Columbus day, here in New England and they may close earlier over the boarder in Canada.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:32 PM   #14

Name: Bruce & Kathryn
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
North Carolina
While we really enjoyed our Maritimes and Newfoundland trip last year, by mid-September we were closing pretty much every national and provincial park we camped at. So by October there I imagine few to no camping options. We’ll be going again after our upcoming trip to the Yukon this year. Try June this time, and September for your next visit. It is a magic part of the world.
Towed by 2018 Chevy High Country Duramax
Bruce Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:05 PM   #15

Arizona
Registry
Decision made. June it is. Thanks for the great input!

The mention of lobster (my wife) and oysters (me) was the clincher.

Okay... time for a confession... Due to the distance and the short vacation window (between work, school, and sports with 2 teenagers), we won't be Scamping. We'll fly into Baltimore, visit family, and rent a minivan for the road trip.

Maybe next time when we're retired. For now I really wanted the kids to experience this part of the continent before they fly the nest. We love the ocean, and there's something special about the coast up there. My family used to camp in the Maritimes regularly when I was growing up in Maryland, but usually during peak season in July or August.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:05 AM   #16

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
look up Bear River, NS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
We’re planning a trip to New England and the Maritimes (NS, NB, and PEI). Due to schedule constraints, it has to be in early June or mid-October. We’re thinking October.

Any thoughts on either time frame?
oug & Linda Brown live at the head of the river rich across the road, drop in and see them have dog and cats and Humming Birds. Get them to show you around and have Doug take you to the Airport up above his place. We fell in love with NS, Lunenburg, Peggy's Cove, Blue Rocks is just up the road about 6 or so miles, we spent a lot of time in NS Yarmouth and area both ways. We spent 5 weeks in NS
PEI takes about 3 good more if you can do it weeks to see it. Cape Breton we in and outed it pretty good to, I was there on my own in 2009 did the Sunshine Trailer both ways, did the highway up and down, Nova Scotia and CB were great. I took my wife to Visit Douglas and his family, then we left to do some more NS then into Cape Breton so on way up did quite a bit and parked in Marina's or where ever, got to see CB same coming back for NFL the ferry trip over was nice and smooth except for the noisy kids.
Real good trip.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:03 AM   #17

Name: Duane
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
New Brunswick
I would check : New Brunswick ,Nova Scotia & P.E.I. tourism sites on the web to see when campgrounds & parks open/close for the season. Many do that on Labor Day Weekend at the beginning of September, for others it's Thanksgiving Day in the first week of October. We do have some spectacular Fall colors in late September early October in New Brunswick where I live . It's a week or so later in Nova Scotia for the peak colors. As for June we can still have some wet or cool weather that time of the year early in the month. We tell people if you don't like the weather wait a few hours and it will be different all in the same day. Most, if not all parks and campgrounds open the third week in May. Snowstorms are normally over with in April here. If you do come and visit I do hope you have a wonderful time and take away many happy memories. Duane
getaway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:28 PM   #18

Trailer: Casita 16 ft
How much of the Maritimes have a French influence?

We tour South Louisiana a lot, and they have the Cajun dances, fairs, etc. about every weekend, just pick a town. Love it when a local band is playing at VFW's, K of C halls, etc. (or whatever their counterpart is in Canada). I know enough French to start a bar fight, but not enough to talk my way out of it.

Always looking for a good excuse to get out of Texas in the Summer.
Friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:53 PM   #19

North Carolina
The only French we heard in the Maritime's was from travelers from Quebec. Province of P.E.I. and NS have as few as 1 to 2% population speaking French. Whereas NB as many as 1 million according to statistics.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:44 PM   #20

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot
Maine
While June is a "spring time" in New England, it is also the end of "mud season" and the "bug season" is in full bloom. Black flies, mosquitos and other deadly vermin are more than annoying.
October is great for leaf peeping later in the month, bugs are all gone, school is back in session and all that that implies for crowds, open campgrounds, traffic, etc.
Spending the last 8 years in Downeast Maine, the fall is my favorite.
Jim Wade is offline   Reply With Quote