Big Bend National Park - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2006, 07:06 AM   #1

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
The wife and I have two weeks off and will be heading out to BBNP right after Christmas. We were there to kick off 06 and couldn't think of any place we'd rather be to start 07. The night sky, in fact, this entire Park is simply awesome.

We met an older couple from Wisconsin (?) in a Scamp fiver last year who said they'd been visiting BB for several years around the Holidays. IIRC, they were both in their early 80's and the wife still jogged each day. The husband said his knees were giving him a bit of trouble and he could only walk the distance. I only wish.

We'll probably spend Thursday and Friday nights at the Cottonwood campground and the remainder of our visit in the Basin (site 42 Sat-Thr).

Anyone else planning to be there around the first of the year? If so, be sure to stop by.

Al & Cindy
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 03:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
I'd like to hit that park in a few years. I want to climb some of the higher peaks in there.
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 06:55 PM   #3

Don't miss it when you get the chance Bob. As much as I love our NC mountains the Chisos are a whole different animal. We're pretty much limited to day hikes now but even these are incredible in BB.

Al
Old 10-21-2006, 08:44 PM   #4

Name: Nita
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel Deluxe
Hi Al and Cindy,

We wanted to meet up with you last year, but we left Big Bend just before you arrived. We haven't decided on a destination for the holidays yet but we'll look for you if we do go.

Have you looked at the NPS website for Big Bend recently? I found the following message posted on the main page:

"Trail Closure
The Oak Spring Trail and Lower Cattail Canyon is closed due to increased bear activity. " I think that is the area below the Window.

We had some friends camping in the Basin a few years back and a bear rocked their camper during the night. No injuries or damage, but the wife refused to stay in the Basin another night and hasn't been back to Big Bend since. Her loss!

Take care.
Nita & Marty
Nita F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 10:25 AM   #5

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
"Trail Closure
The Oak Spring Trail and Lower Cattail Canyon is closed due to increased bear activity. " I think that is the area below the Window.
That’s right

We will be there again this year and will try to meet up with you.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 10:38 AM   #6

Nita, thanks for the update. I'd somehow missed these closures on the website. IIRC, the Oak Spring Trail branches off a bit before you get to the Window.

Please do keep us posted of your travel plans if you'll be in the BB area after Christmas. Maybe we'll get a chance to meet this year.

Nick, give us a holler if you're anywhere nearby as well.

Al & Cindy
Old 12-16-2006, 01:29 PM   #7

Name: Nita
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel Deluxe
Vacation time has finally arrived! We're packing the last items in the camper and will hitch up before dark. Planning to leave EARLY (4 am) tomorrow morning. Heading to Carlsbad, New Mexico first to explore some new territory. Then heading to Big Bend by Christmas Eve. We'll have to head home by New Years eve.

We're planning to meet Al and Cindy as well as Nick and Marlene in Big Bend. If anyone else plans to be there after Christmas please look us up.

Ya'll have a safe and wonderful holiday!

Nita & Marty
and Meka, the traveling dog
Nita F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 03:56 PM   #8

Nita & Marty,

I didn't realize you folks were going to Carlsbad as well. That's also one of our favorite spots - be sure to catch the ranger's presentation as the bats exit the cave just before dark. Looking forward to meeting you folks.

Nick,

Have ya'll settled on dates and a campground yet? As noted above, we'll be at site 42 in the Basin from the 30th through the 4th. We're planning an overnight hike on the Rim Trail at some point during our stay; depends on when we can get a backcountry permit. If you come by and we're not around, leave a note as to how we might catch up with you

Happy Holidays and a Merry Christmas to all.

Al & Cindy