Billings, MT - Any Suggestions, Experiences? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-02-2009, 05:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
Hi all

Planning on heading out to Yellowstone via I-94/I90 through Medora, ND and then Billings, MT. Plan on spending one night in Billings, MT or even Red Lodge, MT if we are making good time.

What are your experiences with some campgrounds there? In particular:

Billings KOA
Yellowstone River RV Park in Billings, MT
Red Lodge KOA

I'm shooting for Billings vs. Red Lodge, so we can spend some time at Pictograph State Park, and Crow Agency (Custer's Last Stand at Battle of Little Bighorn)

Just wondering if anybody has any favorites. And do you think reservations are necessar mid-Sept? I spoke with someone at Yellowstone River RV Park, and it sounded like it would be fine to not have reservations. Thanks all!
Dan Vang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:47 PM   #2

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Dan,

I am sure we have stayed at both the Billings and Bozeman KOA's. They were both very nice.

The katydids at Billings were really loud.

If you can dry camp the campground at Theodore Roosevelt Natl Park is pleasant. Driving through the park in the evening is nice.

Reading Lex and Rita's blog they mentioned some road construction around Yellowstone. You might want to check which roads you will have to go around. It is such a large park.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:52 PM   #3

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Just noticed your mention of needing reservations. I sure can't think of any reasons you would need to. When we go through it is on long cross country, and even during peak season we have not made reservations.

You might consider packing a snow shovel for Yellowstone though.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:02 PM   #4

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
The KOA in Billings is the original KOA and I hear it is very nice.
The second KOA ever opened was the Bozeman KOA and we stayed there for a week and really enjoyed it. There is a stream running right through the middle of one set of the campsites. They even have a hot springs facility that touches the back of their property. They also serve MooseTracks ice cream at the social which one must experience for themselves.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:26 PM   #5

Quote:
The KOA in Billings is the original KOA and I hear it is very nice.
The second KOA ever opened was the Bozeman KOA and we stayed there for a week and really enjoyed it. There is a stream running right through the middle of one set of the campsites. They even have a hot springs facility that touches the back of their property. They also serve MooseTracks ice cream at the social which one must experience for themselves.
Wow I didn't know that. With that in mind, I am leaning towards the Billings KOA rather than Yellowstone River Campground. I believe they are just up the road from each other anyways.

We won't be coming through Bozeman, but through N. Dakota. We may stay at Theodore Roosevelt N.P. as it is a nice park.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:02 PM   #6

As a follow up. The trip was fabulous. We ended up staying at Billings KOA, and yes it was a very nice spot and a good launching spot into Yellowstone via the northeast entrance.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:50 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

A little hint for Bozeman, Butte, etc. You are at altitude. When we stayed in Bozeman in 1977, we helped a college coed push start her VW Beetle. It took me three hours to catch my breath!

If you are not acclimated to the altitude, avoid heavy aerobic type exertions.

Otherwise, have fun. It is a beautiful part of the country.

For Crow Agency, do a little study on the Custer Battle before you go. It will add so much to the enjoyment and understanding of what you are seeing.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:13 PM   #8

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
He's probably okay since he just got back
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote