Black Canyon of the Gunnison N P - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2017, 10:48 AM   #1

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Black Canyon of the Gunnison N P

I am considering visiting Black Canyon of the Gunnison Colorado and the surrounding area in early May. If anyone has any suggestions or favorite spots they would be willing to share, I would be grateful.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:06 PM   #2

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
Hello Jack, there is a thread here about maybe a Colorado get together. Check it out. I also suggest Ridgway State Park then Ouray. Let me know if you decide to head this way. PM me.
Patti
keekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:08 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 19 ft 2010
Registry
I visited the canyon last summer, not camping. We drove down to the river, that drive was the best part of the visit. The canyon is interesting but . . . drove through the campground, Meh!

Now Ouray was a different story, great place to visit and explore. Ridgeway SP looked great. We bicycled in from Durango, the Million Dollar Highway was exciting. It is on my bucket list for a place to return.

All my personal opinion, your experience may differ.
Paul Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 06:29 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
I second Ouray "Little Switzerland " of America, in the San Juan Mountains. Make sure you take one of the tours over the mountain passes in the area. July and August has the most abundant wildflowers we have ever seen.
Dave & Paula
David B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:42 AM   #5

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
I live in Denver and concur

May might be somewhat early season in the mountains. The obvious trade off is beating the crowds when schools let out.
https://www.nps.gov/blca/
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:11 PM   #6

Name: nancy
Trailer: 19' Scamp Deluxe
Tennessee
Registry
Hey, we were there about 25 years ago,in May, tent camping....we were about the only people there.... really, all I remember is getting up before dawn one day, and seeing the porcupines eating some pines...quite the experience, actually.
This area has been given really high marks by Backpacker Mag. in recent years.
nancyrnfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:08 PM   #7

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
I am considering visiting Black Canyon of the Gunnison Colorado and the surrounding area in early May. If anyone has any suggestions or favorite spots they would be willing to share, I would be grateful.
Awesome place to visit. We hiked a lot to the edge of the canyon in several places. Ouray is beautiful area but touristy. Ridgeway State Park has real nice campgrounds and great fishing at the south end of the park. There's a little but nice campground in Cimarron. It doesn't have any hookups at all but there is water, a good bathroom and a dump station. Also a nice hike along the river and RR site. Around Ridgeway you can go to Owl Creek Pass and see many areas that John Wayne filmed True Grit. Go to the RR Museum in Ridgeway and they'll give you where the sites are.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:45 AM   #8

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
Gunnison

I camped & walked the canyon rim . This was the first time I ever had tears from the beauty of a park ! Make sure you take that walk !
Jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 05:36 AM   #9
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I'm watching this thread with great interest as we are planning a return trip to Colorado and Wyoming to visit places we missed the first time. But I'm not sure we are ready for the Million Dollar highway .
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote