Black Mountain Campground - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-22-2007, 05:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
I traveled to the Black Mountain Campground in the Pisgah National Forest this past weekend. I'd heard that it was an excellent National Forest campground, and the praise is well-founded. It sits among lots of old-growth trees, which is very nice, save for the unfortunate fact that all of the hemlocks are dying from the invasive adelgid from Japan. The campground has two loops--one on the South Toe River and another one higher up on the slopes away from the river, but deeper in the forest. There are hot showers and flush toilets, although there's a charge of one dollar to use the showers. However, the showers are excellent--great water pressure and very warm (not quite hot).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0875.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	8402

The campsites have a gravel pad, a picnic table, an in-ground fire ring with grill, and two lantern posts. There are no water or electric hookups, so come prepared for that. Water faucets are distributed throughout the campground. We stayed at campsite #7 which was, as far as I'm concerned, the best site in the place. It's at the end of the riverside loop, directly on the river.

Name:	IMG_0881.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	8403

Fees were $16 per night. We stayed two nights and I'd have loved to have spent the week there. The campground sits in the shadow of Mount Mitchell, the highest peak in the eastern USA. There are unlimited hiking opportunities in the immediate vicinity, and the Blue Ridge Parkway is a mere 5.2 miles from the campground. It's rather an isolated campground (which I love) and the nearest town of any note is Burnsville. There is a small grocery store a few miles from the campground, but other than that, you're in the Sticks.

We loved the place and plan to return. One of the best National Forest campgrounds I've found.
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 05:42 PM   #2

You can spend a lot of time just hanging out in the campground. Swimming was fine in the deep hole just beyond our campsite (#7) in the pool below the old CCC dam on the South Toe. It was great fun to swim under the waterfall going over the old log dam. It's even deep enough for diving off of the dam, which we did.

Name:	IMG_1035.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	8404

There are bike trails in the campground, with a nice long one leading from the main campground to the nearby group camp.

The Mount Mitchell Trail leads from the campground to the summit of Mount Mitchell. Best be in good shape, as it's a climb of almost 4,000 vertical feet in just a few miles. There's also a very short trail from the campground leading up the Setrock Creek Falls, which is well worth seeing. The drought had whittled it somewhat, but it was still a nice waterfall.

Name:	IMG_1041.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	8405

Oh. Considering all of the bear encounters in the news, I should mention that this area has a very heavy bear population. Bears come to this campground regularly, searching for food. Be bear aware.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:18 PM   #3

Trailer: 81 Trillium 5500 (Pearl)
Thanks for the great report. Sounds like we will add this to our list of places to go.

Kathy & Doug
Kathy & Doug Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 06:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Thanks for the great report. Sounds like we will add this to our list of places to go.

Kathy & Doug
Well, heck! That's in your neck of the woods!

Carolina Hemlocks was also nice, but I preferred Black Mountain because it was way out in the deep forest rather than roadside.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:45 AM   #5

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Hi Bob. thanks for posting this. We usually stay in Nantahala NF when in that part of the state - Horse Cove outside of Joyce Kilmer or the dispersed spots along Santeelah Creek being out favorites but Black Mountain looks like something we'd enjoy. The showers would certainly be a plus.

We're off from Friday through the end of next week and are going to start out at the coast (Outer Banks) but, if the temps and crowds get too bad, we may head for the mountains.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 03:26 PM   #6

If you like Horse Cove and dispersed sites, then Black Mountain is the place for you. It's isolated, back in the deep woods, lots of trees. It's also bear country. At least one bear was in the campground the night before we got there--the host came by to make sure we kept food locked securely away.

I nabbed what appeared to me to be the best site in the campground--#7, but of course others may like some of the other sites better. There are two loops--one away from the South Toe River, and one right on the water.

It was so cool at night that we had to get out an extra blanket.

<div align="center">

Name:	IMG_1019.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	8479
</div>
<div align="center">That splash is my son having just leapt into the swimming hole.</div>