Boondocking East of Grand Teton NP - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-21-2012, 10:14 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Boondocking East of Grand Teton NP

We're heading out a week from now for a loop trip that will include Grand Teton & Yellowstone. We have reservations in Yellowstone but reservations in Grand Teton don't exist except for the VERY expensive full hookup sites. While we may end up with the hoards in the Colter Bay Campground, I'm also very interested in any leads for possible boondocking sites in the National Forest just east of the park.

Any ideas??
www.justfinding.blogspot.com
John & BJ S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:00 PM   #2

Name: Craig
Trailer: Casita 17' SD
Montana
I'm not sure about NF campgrounds in the area, but Gros Ventre Campground is a wonderful site within Grand Teton NP. We've tent camped there many times. (In fact, that is where we spotted a Scamp last summer that started us on our egg search! We just acquired a Casita last month and we're looking forward to our first trip to Gros Ventre CG in our own egg!)

There are no hookups but there may be a dump station... I never had the need to look before but I think I remember seeing one at the entrance. No reservations, but we've never had a problem getting a site.

Here's some info on campgrounds in Grand Teton NP and in the nearby Bridger-Teton NF.

Have fun... it is a beautiful area!
RockyMTns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:35 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Thanks, Craig. I was aware of Gros Ventre, but it has the same massive number of campsites as Colter Bay. I know it's illogical to hope for small & quiet when visiting a NP like Grand Teton, but sometimes I'm crazy enough to hope.
www.justfinding.blogspot.com
John & BJ S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:53 AM   #4

Montana
I know there is at least one CG on the NF just east of Gros Ventre, in the Lower Slide Lake area. There are also remote areas on NF land in the corridor between Yellowstone and Grand Teton NPs (off of the John D. Rockefeller Memorial Parkway). I'm sure there are plenty of other suitable sites. You may want to contact the USFS ranger station and ask what they recommend.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:54 AM   #5

Montana
I'm planning a trip to the same area next month, and I just ran across this map that may help you. It shows campgrounds, including some nearby NF sites. The area along the Rockefeller parkway that I referred to in my earlier post is along the Grassy Lake Road, to the west of Flagg Ranch on the northern extremity of the map. Sounds like you are looking for "non-campground" sites, so you can reference what the Forest Service calls "dispersed camping" on their recreation web page.

Happy camping!
Old 06-22-2012, 11:49 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 19 ft 2010
Registry
BLM Lands

You might also look for any nearby Bureau of Land Management (BLM) areas. They usually allow "dispersed" camping, sometimes with a pit toilet, table, fire ring and maybe even water. It varies, water being the item frequently missing as they tend to be in remote and dry areas.
Paul Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I've overnighted at campgrounds in Bridger Teton NF right off Hwy 287. Nothing fancy, and I believe some sites without services are free. It was a good place to land after a long travel day, and be ready to head into Grand Teton NP right after sunrise. It's spectacular! Here is the website for one NF campground in that area:
brian m. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking