Boondocking in Manitoba - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2021, 07:54 AM   #1

Name: Blake & Melissa
Trailer: 2007 Scamp 13
OREGON
Boondocking in Manitoba

Hi, all:

We recently moved back to Canada (southern Manitoba) from Oregon and for the life of me I cannot figure out where to boondock or where to *find out* where we can boondock. Can anyone help me out? Specific places you know to go or where/how to get more information would be much appreciated.
PDX Scampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 10:36 AM   #2

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
Not too common in the southern part of the province but I did see some along rivers last summer. I thought it COVID camping. Hopefully someone can share spots in the northern part of the province.
Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 11:09 AM   #3

Name: PCO6
Trailer: Cadet
Ontario
I"ve never camped n Manitoba (yet!) but if you go to Google Maps and enter "Crown Land Manitoba" plenty of maps should come up. If it's like Ontario you should be able to camp on that land with some pretty easy to deal with restrictions. Good luck!
PCO6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 11:35 AM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
We use to camp where the bridge on rat 68 crosses lake Manitoba.
That was back in 1974. Great fishing right at that spot. There was a campground south of there at that time.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 11:48 AM   #5

OREGON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in Mb View Post
Not too common in the southern part of the province but I did see some along rivers last summer. I thought it COVID camping. Hopefully someone can share spots in the northern part of the province.
That's a good lead, Bob in MB. What rivers and in what area? Point me closer to the right direction.
Old 03-13-2021, 12:29 PM   #6

Name: Cate & Dan
Trailer: 1976 Triple E SurfSide "The Mutt Hut"
Manitoba
If by boondocking you are talking about just setting up anywhere you are inclined to, then I would look into Crown land but be aware that some crown land is leased as pasture land and is fenced. Hunting is allowed on this land and most farmers pull their animals off before the hunting season opens in fall but there are animals on it during the summer grazing and in fall, hunters. Google maps won't tell you what is leased and what isn't, and there were changes made to agricultural use of crown land regulations as recently as 2020, so I would be inclined to check with the province as to what is available. We used to go hiking on the crown land around Chatfield. If you are just looking for wild and off grid then you can still get that in some of the provincial park campgrounds, especially central province. We used to camp at Black Lake in the Nopiming Park when I was a kid and it was just a gravel area cut into the bush. Still pretty wild as the roads are not accessible much in the winter. There was running water available and possibly a pit privy someplace but bugger all else. The southern parks like Whiteshell, Stephenfield, St. Malo, and Birdshill, Grand Beach, Spruce woods etc are too close to the cities and therefore not a great choice for getting away from people. If you check the provincial parks website they will give a breakdown of the services at each. Fewer services, fewer weekenders, more wilderness.
Old Macdonalds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 05:35 PM   #7

Name: Cate & Dan
Trailer: 1976 Triple E SurfSide "The Mutt Hut"
Manitoba
https://www.wildernesssupply.ca/wher...mp-in-manitoba

Try this site. It will direct you to the Manitoba Backroads Mapbook.
Old Macdonalds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 04:59 PM   #8

OREGON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Macdonalds View Post
https://www.wildernesssupply.ca/wher...mp-in-manitoba

Try this site. It will direct you to the Manitoba Backroads Mapbook.
Great coincidence ! As I've been hunting around trying to find more details on crown land locations and free camping I just today stumbled over this book. Glad to hear of your recommendation.
Old 03-17-2021, 12:34 PM   #9

Name: Tom
Trailer: In the market
British Columbia
You can try installing iOverlander app and setting up filters for wild camping. You’ll have to check whether 4WD or high clearance is required to access the site.
Anachron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 12:51 PM   #10

Name: joe
Trailer: currently shopping
Quebec
Hello
I like that tip regarding findind crown lands on google maps. But when i do it for Nova Scotia i get only the department of lands and forests in Halifax
G
gouthro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking