Boondocking Overland Style - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2020, 07:59 AM   #1

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Boondocking Overland Style

The older I git the more I am interested in the "Trip" rather than the "Destination". More and more that means leaving the VT-16, Argosy and developed campgrounds behind. The Overland modified Hunter Compact II when finished may replace both of the other "Old Fogey" trailers!

With all the new RV's being sold in the last 3 years along with few if any new campgrounds being built in which to camp the competition the those few existing campground spaces are tough to reserve. This FACT makes it much more difficult to enjoy the great outdoors with the Argosy and now Overland travel has much greater appeal.

More and more often that now means it's the "Boonies" for me and VT-16 is left behind!!!

Here is a thread about a group of Young and OLD folks on a recent 10 day trip in Utah. This trip was totally different than anything fiberglass trailer related however I post it to show there are other ways to travel, many places to go and see that you will never git to enjoy when hauling around a fiberglass trailer followed by sitting around in a developed campground.

Enjoy!

https://expeditionportal.com/forum/t...e-2020.216003/

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:25 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Either the link was bad or the story got removed.

john - colorado springs, co
jaevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 11:01 AM   #3

Name: Stephen
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
The two most portentous decisions a trailer buyer makes are:
1. How many seasons can it accommodate (2,3 or 4).
2. Whether it's capable on-road, forest service road or off-road.
Stephen_Albers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 11:42 AM   #4

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Yeah bad link.

I'm still young(ish), but my favorite trips are always still just my truck and tent, going wherever I want, and being forced to stay out in the elements rather than always finding excuses to hang out in my house-on-wheels.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 12:14 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Yeah bad link.

I'm still young(ish), but my favorite trips are always still just my truck and tent, going wherever I want, and being forced to stay out in the elements rather than always finding excuses to hang out in my house-on-wheels.
I’m not young but my favorite and most memorable camping trips were ones where I camped in a tent , cooked over an open fire , bathed in a creek , stream or lake and braved the elements / weather
IE ; Winter camping at 20 below , camping in the BWCA , fishing / camping on a remote Canadian lake , deer hunting in late November , Elk hunting in the mountains of New Mexico, canoeing in Voyagers NP ETC , ETC

It would be hard for me to describe staying in a FG trailer with all the comforts of home as camping . There is a satisfying feeling of accomplishment from going camping that is just not there with a trailer .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 12:24 PM   #6

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Yes. I love my trailer and love "camping" in it, but seeing as I live in my camper 6 months of the year, I agree. It's pretty luxurious. Pulling what in many cases is a full-utility house behind your truck isn't camping. It's a great thing all it's own, but not camping.

So I trailer "camp", I car camp, and I backpack. They all have their own draws.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:22 PM   #7

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Original link worked when posted.

Try this link:

https://expeditionportal.com/forum/t...e-2020.216003/

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:59 PM   #8

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
I don't consider our camper to be a limiting factor to our enjoyment of the out of doors. I think https://www.expeditionportal.com/for...e-2020.216003/ may have been the intended link by the OP and its true our Scamp wouldn't do well on the trails shown there. But, we can find some fairly remote spots in our National Forests and BLM lands that are accessible, set up a base camp and then make day trips to explore the back country. There's no shortage of boondocking sites which can be easily reached with a camper in tow. I'd go as far as to say once we've dropped the camper, I'm able to travel to even less accessible areas because I'm not burdened with cooking and sleeping gear.

Having said that, we've been known to bring our backing gear along and enjoy both styles of camping on longer trips, I'm of the opinion our choice of vehicles along with a willingness to move outside our normal comfort zone are much more limiting than where we sleep. YMMV.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 09:11 PM   #9

Name: Rob
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Registry
We just got our first FG trailer last fall. We have backpacked, canoe tripped, kayaked, motorcycle camped, and even winter camped. But this year we've booked more trips than ever before. Picnic tables, fire rings and pit toilets are a different kind of adventure, but no less worthwhile. Last Thanksgiving in the trailer was the Best! Playing board games with the heater cranking, actually drying us out after a day in the surf. This weekend we saw a Pine Marten and my daughter jumped in a stream so cold she couldn't breathe. Would never have happened without our cozy little egg.
robf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 12:13 AM   #10

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
An althernative description, the one that is used by the NFS and BLM for areas that do not have developed campsites is "dispersed camping".

While I might now and again stay in developed campsites while doing a full time travel plan my budget can't support that very often. So I will be using dispersed camp sites and also use various apps that help me to locate "free campsites".

I can't go on super rough roads like a high clearance outback trailer and 4x4 can but I can still get to enough dispersed camping areas without changing my vehicle and trailer.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking