bringing along firewood?? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-02-2012, 03:42 PM   #21

Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Registry
In Michigan you can't move wood from the lower peninsula to the UP
Marsha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:43 PM   #22

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
we do not bring firewood from home when we camp. there are rules in nova scotia as well as here in new brunswick regulating the movement of wood. it just is a small sacrifice on all of our parts to protect the forests....everywhere. a few bucks to purchase firewood is a small price to pay for the future of our forests.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #23

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Arbor terrorism:

Just don't do it.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:54 AM   #24

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We happily obey this rule but I suspect it's not "if but when". There really are no effective boundaries within the continent.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:14 PM   #25

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... Ontario Parks must bundle a lot of gopher wood!!! At 8 bucks a bag it burns up quick and you have to go fer some more!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:33 PM   #26

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
Great comment about 2x4x8 at $2. each just need few of them and a chain saw and can have a nice campfire. LOL
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:10 PM   #27

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Think of it this way: Would you want someone to introduce something to your house that contains bed bugs?
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:13 PM   #28

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
bed bugs....another great reason to sleep in my own bed!!!!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:43 PM   #29

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I visited several Wisconsin State parks last year . I was asked by the Park Ranger if I had any firewood with me that came from more than a 25 miles radius from the park . I told her no . Later that day we went to buy firewood at the ranger station and when I looked at the bundle of firewood the label said that the firewood came from Gilbert Minnesota . Gilbert Minnesota is located more than 200 miles from the park. Kind of makes you wonder
Probably, if the wood was for sale by the park, it was kiln-dried or othewise treated. For example: Kiln Dried Firewood - White Birch Wholesale Firewood - Firewood Plus, LLC I've seen similar tags in a number of places. Not all parks have sufficient dry wood close by to resell and meet the local demand.
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:01 AM   #30

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyyyyguy View Post
Here in Wi we have an infestation of "emerald ash borers" a nasty beetle that wreaks havoc on trees so to try to stem the problem - campers cannot bring in firewood from more than 25 miles from their campsite. This is largely "on your honor" but hopefully people will comply. My question is are other states experiencing this problem? I have no problem buying campfire wood $3 -$4 per bundle and usually bring along my own kindling from my workshop (bug free).
yes its common now in many states. if not the ashborer,,, some moth,, or beetle,,,we all have to guard against being the one that brings in an invasive speci to a new area.

for campfires, i usually carry self light charcoal, and buy a bundle of fire wood localy. the charcoal provides the warm,,, and a stick or two of firewood provides the dancing flames. one bundle of wood can last me several days that way.

and as i volunteer with the department of natural resources stewardship program in erradicating invasive speci,,,i admit to being a bit of a nazi in this reguard.<_<
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:13 PM   #31

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeR View Post
I bring all scrap untreated wood from home, 2x4 etc. I don't think there is any harm done. 2x4x8 for $2 is sometimes less expensive than firewood acquired at a campground.

George.
Dont try and bring it to Canada Even if its cut up into nice 2x4's its a no go as it is not kilned dried and bugs could still be living in it.

At one of the National Parks I was at last year they gave a talk one night about fires and wood and they indicated they also do not let people bring in old wooden pallets to burn as they have too many nails in them and they get left around the campsites.

To avoid the whole issue last year I purchased a small propane fire pit and have been loving it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:05 PM   #32

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Dont try and bring it to Canada Even if its cut up into nice 2x4's its a no go as it is not kilned dried and bugs could still be living in it.

At one of the National Parks I was at last year they gave a talk one night about fires and wood and they indicated they also do not let people bring in old wooden pallets to burn as they have too many nails in them and they get left around the campsites.

To avoid the whole issue last year I purchased a small propane fire pit and have been loving it.
Of course 2X4's are kiln dried, but like the old cliche' says.... Do as you are told and nobody gets hurt!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:09 PM   #33

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Unhappy Invasive species

Here is the State of Washington's take:

Invasive Species Council

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:57 PM   #34

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Of course 2X4's are kiln dried, but like the old cliche' says.... Do as you are told and nobody gets hurt!
LOL thats interesting here most of the standard 2x4's used in construction is not kilned dried.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:14 PM   #35

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Honestly, Floyd, it's not a conspiracy by authoritarian nightmare governments to oppress you - even if you hold a grudge against biodiversity and forests, a lot of people's livelihoods depend on trees and it makes a certain amount of sense to keep them alive.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:11 PM   #36

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post
Honestly, Floyd, it's not a conspiracy by authoritarian nightmare governments to oppress you - even if you hold a grudge against biodiversity and forests, a lot of people's livelihoods depend on trees and it makes a certain amount of sense to keep them alive.
Honestly Jen, you're comment is really not as insightful as you might imagine. Conspiracy would imply the ability to consciously cooperate.
Also, a clear insight would have involved the ability to find humor , even in a serious subject.
I stated earlier that I never transport firewood.
Besides....You do think following the rules would prevent harm to all involved , don't you?
C'mon... lighten up!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:16 PM   #37

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Here in SE Michigan the ash borer has devastated the ash trees. I must have lost 10 trees on my lot alone. It is deadly serious, please don't contribute to its spread.
and at least one of our state parks will be closed this season while they remove all the dangerous dead trees.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:18 PM   #38

Michigan
Quote:
If it's the Emerald "Ash" Borer , why can't you move Oak, elm, birch, maple, pine,etc? The website says it only infests Ash trees.
because once its cut most people can't tell the difference between ash and birch.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:25 PM   #39

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
And if you haul it around and get arrested - you'll wind up making an "Ash" of yourself!

Sometimes I just crack me up!
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #40

Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
We are fortunet that hubby works in construction and we can always get scrap from his work. We always pack more than we need and leave it behind for the next campers. I havent seen any signs in our parks about bringing in wood.
Calif.
RRIZZO is offline   Reply With Quote