??? Bryce Canyon - suggestions or comments ??? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2015, 04:29 PM   #1

Name: Steve and Janna
Trailer: '02 Scamp 13
North Carolina
Registry
??? Bryce Canyon - suggestions or comments ???

We're planning a trip with our Scamp 13 to Bryce Canyon National Park for late June, early July of this coming summer.

I'd love to hear any campsite recommendations or other comments from anyone who has been there. We're hoping for a fantastic trip!

Thanks, Steve & Janna
Steve_N_Janna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 04:46 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_N_Janna View Post
We're planning a trip with our Scamp 13 to Bryce Canyon National Park for late June, early July of this coming summer.

I'd love to hear any campsite recommendations or other comments from anyone who has been there. We're hoping for a fantastic trip!

Thanks, Steve & Janna
Unless you get reservations as early as possible, finding a spot in the Park can be next to impossible into June. If not, there are 2-3 commercial parks on Utah Route 12, on the road from the Junction with US-89 to the park. We stayed at the first one after turning onto Rt 12 from the 89 last June as it is a good location to also drive to ZION for a day trip. Good Sam Discount, hot showers and full hook-up for about $35/night.

Sorry I can't remember the name, if I find it I will add it to the thread

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 04:47 PM   #3

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
We are headed there the end of July! We are planning to stay at Sunset Campground, but I'll be watching to see what others say! I would definitely recommend reservations and you can reserve beginning six months from your arrival date. We spent a day there a few years ago- did a horse back ride and hiked the Navajo Loop trail- on the way to Zion. It was not long enough, which is why we are going back! Zion isn't too far from Bryce, so if you have time, I would HIGHLY recommend spending some time there as well.
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 05:09 PM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Up Date for Post #2... I was just told that it was called Red Canyon RV Park, 15 miles from Bryce on Utah RT-12

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 06:23 PM   #5

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
At Bryce we stayed at Ruby's just outside the park. OK camp sites and very convenient. We signed up for a free guided bus tour that was great. Our guide really knew his stuff. We also did the free ranger guided tour at Zion that was excellent. At Zion you can not take your car into the park. It's bus only but very convenient ,hop on hop off and the tour guide again pointed out lots of things we would have missed. When entering Zion, we went through the Zion Mt Carmel tunnel and that was very interesting too. Watchman campground at Zion was nice too.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 06:29 PM   #6

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
There are several campgrounds within the park, not sure on hook-up status. We got a site without problem just driving in, but that was just after the Labor Day weekend.

I just happened to see this video on YouTube yesterday. Might be worth looking into if you don't mind boon docking. I plan to check it out the next time I go to that area.

LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 07:20 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I've stayed in Ruby's Inn (an overcrowded commercial campground just outside the park), Dry camped in the park, (You need to get there early if you don't have a reservation) and stayed a couple of times at Kodachrome Basin State Park - about 24 miles from Bryce (my favorite near by campground) - some sites with full hookups.

While I haven't stayed there, I drove through Red Canyon, just outside the park on UT 12. Nice dry camping sites, although full when I stopped by.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 07:25 PM   #8

Washington
LyleB, Thanks for the boondocking tip. Looks very interesting.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:31 PM   #9

Washington
I guess it depends on your timing. When we were at Ruby's in September 2013 it was not crowded but it is very commercial. We also went to Kodachrome but it was full up.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:00 PM   #10

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I enjoyed my (June 2010) campsite in Red Canyon Nat'l Forest CG. It's close enough to Bryce, but away from the crowds.
Click image for larger version

Name:	RedRock campsite.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	90781

There are some nice hiking trails and sights in Red Canyon, too.
Click image for larger version

Name:	UTRedCanyon1 sm.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	90782

I do regret not taking the horse ride down into Bryce Canyon.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 01:30 AM   #11

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Bryce and Zion from early time of year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Unless you get reservations as early as possible, finding a spot in the Park can be next to impossible into June. If not, there are 2-3 commercial parks on Utah Route 12, on the road from the Junction with US-89 to the park. We stayed at the first one after turning onto Rt 12 from the 89 last June as it is a good location to also drive to ZION for a day trip. Good Sam Discount, hot showers and full hook-up for about $35/night.

Sorry I can't remember the name, if I find it I will add it to the thread
One should phone the camp grounds in the area and book now in Bryce you can use your own car up and down basically you look down into the Canyon, have a good telephoto camera for the faraway shots,
Zion the camp ground in the Park is not all that big and is booked up for months in advance but in my eyes is one of the nicest parks in the area. You have to park your trailer and tow vehicle then take the parks little buses to all of the locations along the way and the drivers give a documentary of the park for you information. These buses run on a regular schedule so you can get off and on for the next stop u might want. In 2009 I at the age of 65 did the Angel Walk, thankfully it was not all that bad as they have wire or chain to hang onto when it gets narrow and a long ways down. I came with a 100' and stopped as my knees are not all that great for that final push.
But if your up to it look into it and go with guide or some friends.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 08:10 AM   #12

Name: Steve and Janna
Trailer: '02 Scamp 13
North Carolina
Registry
Thanks to everyone for sharing your Utah experiences!

Years ago we motorcycled from Hurricane to Blanding in a single day and were awestruck by the natural beauty of the region. I can hardly wait to get back out there and explore the area. This time we will not be in a hurry!

Steve
Steve_N_Janna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 08:35 AM   #13

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
We stayed at Ruby's a couple years ago. I would have much rather stayed in the park, lots of sites open at the end of September, but we were with another couple who needed electrical hook-ups to run just about everything in their motorhome (they now have a unit that performs great off the grid).

Ruby's is sparsely treed, with sites quite close together. Not real conducive of sitting around outside the trailer around a campfire, though they did have the rings.

To be fair though, they had great showers, and offered everything you really need in a campground, just not great sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
There are several campgrounds within the park, not sure on hook-up status. We got a site without problem just driving in, but that was just after the Labor Day weekend.

I just happened to see this video on YouTube yesterday. Might be worth looking into if you don't mind boon docking. I plan to check it out the next time I go to that area.
My wife and I spent about 6 hours riding our bikes around there. Definitely lots of spots to camp. We never saw any folks camping, though did see a bunch of places where they did. Saw a couple other bikes, and one guy on a quad scouting for hunting which was to open soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I enjoyed my (June 2010) campsite in Red Canyon Nat'l Forest CG. It's close enough to Bryce, but away from the crowds.
We did a big hike there, and did a walk through of this campground. I agree, it is quite nice. MUCH better than Ruby's.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 09:35 AM   #14
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
We booked our site at about this time last year for our stay in mid May. I would still plan on dressing warm as we awoke one morning in Bryce to an inch of snow! I was glad for it though as it made for some fantastic pictures.

The same trip included the South Rim of the Grand Canyon and Zion
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
In 2009 I at the age of 65 did the Angel Landing, thankfully it was not all that bad as they have wire or chain to hang onto when it gets narrow and a long ways down. I came with a 100' and stopped as my knees are not all that great for that final push.
But if your up to it look into it and go with guide or some friends.
Stude
In Zion we hiked the narrows and Angels Landing, I highly recommend both! In the picture from Angels Walk you see Vicki navigating a turn with tour busses 1300 feet below.
For Zion we stayed at Snow Canyon. The electric sites are crammed together but the non electric sites are spacious and each has great views. Sand dunes, lava fields, canyons, Pioneer graffit, and exploring the lava tubes will more than occupy your evenings.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 09:56 AM   #15

Name: Larry
Trailer: Escape
Oregon
We have stayed at Red Rock Canyon campground several times an really like it. No reservations at this CG but if you show up midday you can usually find a spot and if you have a senior pass it's half price. ����
larryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 11:25 AM   #16

Name: Bill
Trailer: Escape
Tennessee
Like others have said, there are options and a lot depends on what you want. We were there in October meeting friends. They have a motorhome and wanted hookups. We booked at Ruby's and I agree with what others have said about it. We asked for two sites next to each other and they were happy to accommodate us. Ruby's is the closest to Bryce Canyon NP and when the shuttle bus is running, there is a stop right in front of the campground. Even though the sites are close together, it was perfect for us to spend time with friends and to be able to get easily and quickly into the NP. For me, the decision is up to whether or not you want hookups: Ruby's for yes and the NP campground for no.
Old 11-26-2015, 02:05 PM   #17
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Kodachrome was our last stay for Bryce, makes a good location for exploring the more remote areas East of Bryce, too.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 03:07 PM   #18

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
We spent two weeks in the Four Corners in mid October but didn't make it to Bryce; just not enough time for everything in that area. If you don't mind boondocking, there are plenty of prime spots in Kaibab NF, on BLM lands and along the shores of Lake Powell From what we were told by staff, these are generally available even in peak season.

One developed (dry camping only) CG we liked was Lee's Ferry. Most mornings and evenings we'd see Condors gliding above the nearby Colorado River. Also, lots of history about the Mormon settlers and native people around there.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 10:12 PM   #19

British Columbia
Jack just to let u know if you go in the winter months u can take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
At Bryce we stayed at Ruby's just outside the park. OK camp sites and very convenient. We signed up for a free guided bus tour that was great. Our guide really knew his stuff. We also did the free ranger guided tour at Zion that was excellent. At Zion you can not take your car into the park. It's bus only but very convenient ,hop on hop off and the tour guide again pointed out lots of things we would have missed. When entering Zion, we went through the Zion Mt Carmel tunnel and that was very interesting too. Watchman campground at Zion was nice too.
Your car/truck into the park, they say they plan on stopping this but were still doing it two years ago. and I went all through the park in 2009 but I hiked up the Angels Walk Trail to within 100' of the top, by then my knees were in pretty tough shape.
Stude
Old 11-26-2015, 10:15 PM   #20

British Columbia
Mike my cousin and her husband from Kamloops di the same,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Attachment 90781

There are some nice hiking trails and sights in Red Canyon, too.
Attachment 90782

I do regret not taking the horse ride down into Bryce Canyon.
:
as u they did the horse trip and said it was a real nice ride, that the scenery was much nicer from that angle than from the top looking down into the Canyon.
Stude