Burning Man - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2012, 07:19 PM   #41

Name: Susan
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
We registered for the Main Sale, too. The dates are 8/27 - 9/3. No theme yet.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:07 PM   #42

Name: Susan
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
We finally got our tickets through STEP. So we're making plans. We removed the old AC from the roof (it leaked) and replaced it with a fantastic fan (more air and light). We will put a window AC in and bring a small generator. We hope to camp with either the same camp we were in in 2010 (Samba Stilt Circus) or join another camp. Anybody else get tickets?
Old 06-09-2012, 03:58 PM   #43

Name: Alex
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Florida
Good for you!

Coming from Florida, it is a long trip for me and requires a lot advance planning. When I didn't get tickets by any lottery & first step, it just didn't work out to go.

It's good you hung in with the step program, have a great time, I'll see you out there maybe next year!
Alex
Alex Segal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:04 PM   #44

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Note to Gary J. If that's your weight limit you might want to be looking at Hunter Compact I's & II's or Campsters, they will fit your criteria. Cost: I have seen fixers sell for as little as $250, there are a couple of restored campsters in Spokane for well over $10,000 each, but they are almost 100% new/updated.

Note to Everyone: If you want to go to Burning Man, take a trailer you want to get rid of afterwards, or be prepared to be living with Playa Dust on everything for the next several years.
Days on the Playa: Hottern'Hell
Nites on the Playa: Coldern'Hell

Dircations to Burning Man:
1. Go to Reno
2. Follow signs north until you are in the middle of nowhere.
3. Turn right and drive another 20 some miles

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:12 PM   #45

Name: Alex
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Florida
Bob tells it like it is

Bob, that was very well stated. I didn't go in 2011,have cleaned my gear & vehicle many times since 2010 and I am still finding playa dust here and there.
Alex Segal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:32 PM   #46

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot
Newfoundland & Labrador
Do i smell something burning?

Burning Man was on our to-do list but it got lost in the recent events that have changed everything. Perhaps it is time to put it on my list, along with Christmas in Slab City. (I still want to go, in spite of some comments posted here). I wonder if American Desert Sand is on the free trade list or will I have to pay duty on it when I come back into Canada?
D.
Scouter Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:34 PM   #47

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Hmmmm..... I my most humble opinion (of which I have many, all of which are subject to change)
Going to Burning Man and spending Christmas at Slab City, both rank right up there with sticking a sharp stick in my right ear. There are so many other great experiences out there that bottom fishing isn't necessary. (end of mini-rant)

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:03 PM   #48

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
[QUOTE=Scouter Dave;313844 I wonder if American Desert Sand is on the free trade list or will I have to pay duty on it when I come back into Canada?
D.[/QUOTE]

Its on the free trade list as I brought lots back last December but none from Slab City as I didnt bother to get out of the car, as Bob says there are way nicer places to stay.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:11 AM   #49

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
Hi Susan and Andy,

I managed to win a spot in the first round of lottery. It was part of the decision making process when I got my trailer in the fall. I'll be there for the whole duration. Counting down

Re; BM and Slab city. I'm a huge camper and soon to be boondocker and that's my main focus for the boler .
I have a dozen or so friends that have attended BM and everyone enthusiastically and emphatically say the samething. :Go:Go:Go:Go::Go: Anyone not familiar should look up pics on google to see some of the amazing structures, art etc. The image surfing is enjoyment enough. The organizers have a very strong "radical inclusion" policy to ensure all kinds feel at home and it doesn't turn "frat party". There success is in the variety of ages and other groups present. Over crowded, crazy hot, really cold, white out dust storms that require goggles and a mask, years of dust...no argument to formed there. (I'm excited about a dust storm experience actually.)

i've never heard of Slab City but after reading the wikipedia article it doesn't hold appeal. The article makes it sound like a slum or at least heading there. Any other views on the place?
EDIT! realize that some fine folk here might actually reside there! Not my opinion just the gist of the article.
(#183)
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:05 AM   #50

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot
Newfoundland & Labrador
The slab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Hmmmm..... I my most humble opinion (of which I have many, all of which are subject to change)
Going to Burning Man and spending Christmas at Slab City, both rank right up there with sticking a sharp stick in my right ear. There are so many other great experiences out there that bottom fishing isn't necessary. (end of mini-rant)
I may not want to read what you write about this but I like the way you say it.
Thanks. D.
Scouter Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:32 AM   #51

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBirder View Post
i've never heard of Slab City but after reading the wikipedia article it doesn't hold appeal. The article makes it sound like a slum or at least heading there. Any other views on the place?
EDIT! realize that some fine folk here might actually reside there! Not my opinion just the gist of the article.
Lucky you - I would love to do BM - sand and crazy - all good with me :-))) but still looking for someone willing to go with me!!
Re you recap of Slab City - it pretty well says it all... oh and its not heading there it is IMHO there.....
Old 07-25-2012, 07:55 PM   #52
Commercial Member

Name: Rob
Trailer: Casita
Kansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBirder View Post
Hi Susan and Andy,
Regarding Slab City, it was one of many places to visit on my bucket list. I visited it last February after a Quartzsite get together. Slab City initially has a post apocalyptic feel to it. After a couple of days of visiting with residents, I found that those with some means band together and feel safe there. It is a simple, cheap place to live for part of the year. In these tough economic times, Slab City has become a solution to some for economic reasons. Problems with trash are being addressed. The meth influence is always a concern to the local police in nearby Niland, CA.

120214 - Slab City, CA - "The Last Free Place In America to Live" - Casita Adventures Photography by Rob Rupp
Old 07-26-2012, 12:03 PM   #53

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Burning Man is the plan for when I am 55, (eight years from now). The youngest of my kids will be 13 by then, and my oldest will be 26. There should be at least four trailers in the family by then.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:21 PM   #54

Registry
Re Slab City. Apocalyptic was the first word that popped into my head on seeing it as well. Suspect those that band together for safety also feel safe there with a little help from personal fire arms as well.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:43 PM   #55

Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
Iam going to add this to my "Bucket List".
RRIZZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:49 PM   #56
Commercial Member

Name: Rob
Trailer: Casita
Kansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Re Slab City. Apocalyptic was the first word that popped into my head on seeing it as well. Suspect those that band together for safety also feel safe there with a little help from personal fire arms as well.
Well, I do recall a story about a local now known as "Shotgun" after shooting a load of rock salt at a thief he observed trying to steal a solar panel.