Buxton - Cape Point - Cape Hatteras - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-22-2015, 05:19 PM   #1

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Buxton - Cape Point - Cape Hatteras

Just got here a few hours ago. Got the Clam set up and grilling hamburgers and drinking a beer. This is the most people I have seen here in a while. Campground is about 2/3 full.

Will take pictures tomorrow. No other fg rv's here. Usually I see a couple others. Mostly tent campers.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:48 PM   #2

Name: Michael
Trailer: In the Market
Virginia
Have a great time - I'm with you on spirit, I love that area!
mbbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:55 AM   #3

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
First Memorial Day weekend at the OBX we've missed in years but keeping the grand daughter so not complaining. On the plus side, we've got a wedding in western NC next weekend and are planning to head over to Horse Cove in Nantahala NF for a few days after that's over.

From what I've seen a hundred miles inland, you're having some great beach weather. Post a shot or two of your site and the clam if you don't mind. We've got to replace the ten year old Paha Que soon and are in the market for a screen room.

Enjoy your visit - Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 03:45 PM   #4

Virginia
Campground Full sign up today.

It seems Windows 8.1update has a bad driver, so I can't load the pictures from my camera. I will wait until I get back home to find the right driver.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:16 PM   #5

Virginia
The campground has gone from full to less than 20 sites in use. It's nice and quiet now.
Old 05-25-2015, 04:18 PM   #6

No rush on the photos - I appreciate your doing it.

If Cape Point was full, I'll bet the other three Park Service campgrounds were a zoo. Hope you have a few more days there to get some peace and quiet.

Al
Old 05-26-2015, 07:11 PM   #7

Virginia
Getting home was an adventure. I was ready to leave about 6 am. Started up the tow and the brake light came on and stayed on. Manual says pull over and call someone. I checked codes, but none noted.

I drove to the one repair shop in Buxton and they were booked solid. I figured I could make it to Nags Head if I was careful. Only needed the brakes a couple of times and they worked fine, so I drove another hour to get to where I thought the repair costs would be more reasonable.

Found a tire store that also did brake service. They checked it out right away and said brakes were fine, but the brake line that goes to the rear brakes was rusted and leaking and could blow out at any time.

I had to wait 4 hours while he finished up the job he was on and then a couple more hours to replace the brake line. My 7 hour drive turned into 13 hours, but it could have been worse. I only had enough bp meds left for 1/2 day. Next time that goes on my check list. I took the meds with me, just didn't check to see how many were in the container.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:38 PM   #8

Virginia
Pictures

Cape Point Campground - Parkliner and Clam tent.

Interesting Small Trailer.
No one was around and then on Monday it was gone.

Lifeguard Beach - Everyone sat in the sun or went in the ocean on either side of the guarded beach. Absolutely no one was in the guarded area.

Part of the campground.

The Frisco Pier.

Cape Hatteras Light House

Beach near Light House

Old 05-27-2015, 06:24 PM   #9

Thanks for the pictures. How well does the Clam do in wind and/or rain? I really like the looks of it.

Al
Old 05-27-2015, 07:46 PM   #10

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al & Cindy K View Post
Thanks for the pictures. How well does the Clam do in wind and/or rain? I really like the looks of it.

Al
The sides of the Clam pop out and the top pops up. Watch the video of the Clam setup and you will see what I mean. If the wind blows more than a gentle breeze, the sides sometimes pop in and the top pops down. This isn't good.

What I do is use a tie down every place I can tie to. That prevents the sides from popping in, but the top is still a problem. This trip the wind wasn't that bad and no problem with top. Last year there was a really bad storm and the top popped down and filled with rain. I had to go out every couple hours and pop it back up again.

I tried using an extension pole to hold the top up, but it didn't work. I think if there was a way to fasten the pole to the top it might work.

I also tie a rope from the trailer to the tent, so if the wind was to blow hard enough to pull the stakes out, at least the tent wouldn't blow away. I use regular aluminum stakes at the tent bottom and then use auger tent stakes for the rope tie downs.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:05 PM   #11

Thanks Huck, that's exactly the type of feedback I was hoping to get. It was the video that prompted my concerns the Clam's design would make it susceptible to winds. I didn't anticipate the problem with the top and rain so that's good info as well.

Al