Cali desert trip - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2015, 05:35 PM   #1

Name: julie
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Alabama
Cali desert trip

Hi All!
Am traveling thru NV starting Sunday--1st Cathedral Gorge, then Valley of Fire. Would then like to go to Mojave Preserve,then to Joshua tree & finally (hopefully) visiting Death Valley. I had hoped to go to Anzo Barrego but it looks a little too far south. Any helpful advice on camping, best routes from V of Fire to Mojave, must see's (am familiar with Nevada parks not California), etc would be most appreciated. Also, what would be a great route home from Death Valley to Jackpot NV? Thank you for your thoughts & advice!
julmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:15 PM   #2

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Thanks for asking, Julie--I am interested in reading the suggestions as we, too, plan a similar trip but not until next winter.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:35 PM   #3

Name: Imogene
Trailer: 2013 Casita
Missouri
We just visited death valley, there are several park CG in the furnace creek area as well as other areas in the park. From death valley we traveled south to baker, ca. then took the road that goes into mohave natl. preserve to kelso.....that route is sorta paved with lots of pot holes. It is a short cut to I-10 (?) from baker....probably poorly maintained to discourage people from using that route to save several miles. However, the park service has a neat museum in an old train depot and gives a history of the kelso area. When we hit the interstate south of kelso we traveled east to the southern entrance to the preserve and stayed at Hole-in-the wall cg. Has water spickets here and there and pit toilets. Camp sites are pretty big and scattered. Visitor center located close to campground. Only spent 2 nites there so will return in the future and do a little more exploring of the area. Used solar system at both death valley and mohave....worked great. For the preserve you will need to carry a good supply of fresh water as the water spickets didn't always produce water...it appeared water had to be pumped uphill to the cg so the supply was limited. Did not make it to joshua tree, next year, most likely you will need reservations for that park, especially on week-ends and holidays.
we have been on the road since 12/15/14 so i am somewhat fuzzy in my recollections of this 6575 mile journey as we have done lots of zig-zagging north/south and east/west....we are sort of just ramblin' along.
Imo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:34 AM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I suggest getting the books by Bill Mann. there is a series of them all about the california south west desert. They are available from.

Books & Publications

Areas I really like are Dumont dunes and Kelso dunes out of Baker CA.
Goffs schoolhouse off the 40 freeway almost to the California border.

railroad town of kelso

Mitchell caverns out of Essex off the 40 freeway.

Death Valley if you have a truck or 4x4 the good places are really hard to go through by car. Places like the race track and Titus canyon

Trona Pinnacles out of Death Valley. Might as well stop at Ballarat Ghost Town close to the old Charles Mansion hideout which is now burn't out.

Patton museum at Chiriaco summit on the 10 freeway outside of Indio. While in Indio stop at Shields date farm.

Red Rock Canyon State park is a neat place.

Keep your gas tank full and carry allot of extra water for at least 3 days in your car. Much of the rural desert has no cell service. Depending on how far you venture it can take a while to get help. The desert out here can have 60 degree temperature swings in a single day so be prepared.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:03 AM   #5

Alabama
Thanks for your helpful comments!
Old 03-16-2015, 08:30 PM   #6

Alabama
The road trip continues. Now in Death Valley @ furnace creek cg. This is best one w a little salt cedar shade. It's been 95 degrees! One casita here. Have been in mojave preserve, Joshua tree, cathedral gorge, valley of fire, one horrible nites stay in Indian wells rv park but otherwise astounding trip. Couple of mishaps... Toilet closet door & fridge door fell off on rough roads but overall scampi is performing well. Lots of Canadians. Saw newer escape & toured an alto in JT. Altos are very cool rigs.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 02-19-2016, 09:06 PM   #7

Alabama
Would like to hear more about red rock canyon. Best camping etc. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 02-19-2016, 10:48 PM   #8

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Bumpy roads can loosen catches especially on icebox or closet doors. We secure all cabinet doors with bungee cords galore! The icebox door is "bungeed" to the cabinet knobs next door. The upper 3 cabinets are "bungeed" to each other and to the metal support post. The closet door is "bungeed" to the screen door knob. (see photos)
Attached Thumbnails
Lodi Wine Tasting July 2015 079.jpg   Lodi Wine Tasting July 2015 080.jpg  

Lodi Wine Tasting July 2015 081.jpg   Lodi Wine Tasting July 2015 083.jpg  

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote