California campgrounds closed as well - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2020, 11:32 AM   #1

Name: Jon
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
California campgrounds closed as well

In case anyone didn't see this, California State Parks are also closing all campgrounds in the state park system. Non campground areas including trails and beaches are staying open.

https://www.parks.ca.gov/NewsRelease/943
JonRaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 01:59 PM   #2

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
This really doesn't make much sense to me. Camping is probably right next to "shelter in place" like they are requiring folks to do at home. Unfortunately a lot of silly panic is making it's way into the response.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 02:08 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
This move by California makes perfect sense to me !
Shelter at home doesn’t mean get in your vehicle ,
drive a hundred miles towing a trailer and setting up a new point of shelter .
It’s not that complicated
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 03:11 PM   #4

Name: Renee
Trailer: Boler
Washington
Makes sense to me also. Camping involves gas stations, shopping, restaurants, sharing restrooms. Dump stations, ATMs, etc.
ReneeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 08:08 PM   #5

Name: Alan & Barb
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Washington
Registry
Not to mention campground hosts, rangers, and other employees being exposed to campers who exposed themselves to others to get there! (All this exposure seems well, unseemly!)
Barb and Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 08:31 PM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadhead517 View Post
Not to mention campground hosts, rangers, and other employees being exposed to campers who exposed themselves to others to get there! (All this exposure seems well, unseemly!)

But, do the campgrounds themselves require more rangers than just leaving things open for day use? What doesn't make sense to me is that the campgrounds are closed but the parks are open for day use. Same for the NM park campground closures.
JonRaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 08:59 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonRaw View Post
But, do the campgrounds themselves require more rangers than just leaving things open for day use? What doesn't make sense to me is that the campgrounds are closed but the parks are open for day use. Same for the NM park campground closures.
Day use campgrounds often don't have restrooms, maybe pit toilets. Garbage cans that need to be dumped and that's about it. Campgrounds not only have garbage cans, money to collect, sites to be cleaned, wood sold, restrooms/showers cleaned, monitoring and security at night.

The idea is to shelter in place, not travel where you use restaurants, fuel stations, etc. Day use is for local people.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 09:25 PM   #8

Name: Ed
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RT
Colorado
How well America is able to flatten and bend its epidemiological curve of infections depends largely on how willing people will be to sacrifice individual convenience and fun vs their desire to perhaps save the lives of others.
IMEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 09:35 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
It's all a plot for the kids to get their inheritance early. If they go around their daily lives as usual, infecting us seniors, they'll have it made.
Apparently the young don't feel the symptoms as strongly, may think they are fine, but they are still spreading the virus. Only thing to do is stay away from people, especially your kids.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:27 AM   #10

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
your are correct!

Well for sure nothing makes sense now. Our lakes have closed their boating ramps but you can fish from the bank. I don't get it!

Oh but private boat ramps are open. again I don't get it! LOL

bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
This really doesn't make much sense to me. Camping is probably right next to "shelter in place" like they are requiring folks to do at home. Unfortunately a lot of silly panic is making it's way into the response.
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 08:56 AM   #11

Name: Mac
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' LD
Oregon
The bathrooms would be the biggest issue, it seems to me, and could be used carefully by responsible adults, but of course rules have to be issued for the lowest common denominator. California does have a problem in that their restrooms generally have no soap, hot water, or paper towels. I'd say if you want to camp, practice boondocking, and wipe the handle of the gas pump when you refuel - for you, and for the person who follows you. Folks are going to get antsy staying at home for long periods - I don't see why responsible boondocking can't be practiced. I know the weather/physical limitations don't allow this for everyone.
Spongelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 08:59 AM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I figure as long as I am going to be at home that this is a great opportunity to do some of those improvements to my trailer that I have been putting off
I finally installed the TV mount I bought last winter , made some new stabilizer and jack pads , lubricated the locks , stabilizers & tongue jack , fixed the door lock & screen door latch ,and replaced a couple of defective LED light fixtures
I suppose I could pout or blame others but that solves nothing and seems rather childish and non productive
If it doesn’t snow today I will start my next project , the list is starting to dwindle.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 09:12 AM   #13

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Closing makes sense to me. Minimize contact with people, and follow all recommendations. Also know that This virus can exist for days on metal and plastic surfaces. Only hours on copper, interestingly. Also UV will kill it so things should improve by late summer at least. But it will get much worse in the next couple of months.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:53 AM   #14

Name: Cliff
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I figure as long as I am going to be at home that this is a great opportunity to do some of those improvements to my trailer that I have been putting off
I finally installed the TV mount I bought last winter , made some new stabilizer and jack pads , lubricated the locks , stabilizers & tongue jack , fixed the door lock & screen door latch ,and replaced a couple of defective LED light fixtures
I suppose I could pout or blame others but that solves nothing and seems rather childish and non productive
If it doesn’t snow today I will start my next project , the list is starting to dwindle.
Yeah, what you said! 👍👍
Cliff Hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 04:47 PM   #15

Name: Lisle
Trailer: 2018 Casita Spirit Deiuxe
Massachusetts
Registry
It is hard on full timers, though. Stay home for full timers means stay inside your camper if that's your home. Question is, where to park your camper to avoid contact with folks. State parks are good places to do that. National forests often don't have enough facilities (no water, no shower, no electric) for longer stays. I'm in CA and looking for a place to spend a couple weeks that is affordable. Lots of the RV parks I've called are also closed to anyone new, and/or are too expensive for more than a night or two on my budget. I'm totally wanting and trying to observe social distancing. Just need a place to park where I can stay a couple weeks affordably.
Lisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 05:47 PM   #16

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Interesting situation for full timers. Might just have to stay on the go, depend on Flying J, etc every few days for water and dump.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 09:17 PM   #17

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
It also moves potentially sick people and the load on medical facilities from urban areas to more rural areas. If you get sick at one of these parks, particularly the ones in more remote areas, they may have little or no capacity to treat you.

Camp in the backyard if you get the "itch".
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote