Campers to Scampers ~ Preparation ~ Delivery ~ First trip - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-06-2017, 12:18 PM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Campers to Scampers ~ Preparation ~ Delivery ~ First trip

Hello all,

My intention is to document our Journey from Campers to Scampers and share with others so that you can learn from our experiences and even provide us with tips along our path to the sweet life that is scamping.

We are starting this journey as complete newbies to the RV / Fiberglass camper world, we have ZERO experience other than going to a few RV shows and looking at different ones for sale and reading on this site.

Why are we buying an RV? We would like to dip our toes into the lifestyle and see if it is something that we would like to do full time in the future possibly as early retires.

Maybe we are experiencing a mid-life crisis or maybe we have finally woken up to the fact that there is more to life than working, trading up to a more expensive/ larger house and everything that goes with running on the hedonic treadmill https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedonic_treadmill.

We have traveled near and far and much more than most of our family and peers but it has always been limited by the amount of time off we have from our jobs and we long to stretch that experience further. I can honestly say that of all of the money I have spent in my life I do not regret one penny spent on traveling or experiences with friends and family everything else seems like a waste at this point.

We would like to travel, explore, volunteer and live a simple life that provides a healthier physical and mental experience than we currently have whether that be by Boat, RV or slow travel.

Not sure when we will be able to untie the lines and cast off full time but our first experience starts October 19th 2017……

Will we love it? Will we hate it?

One way to find out and that is to get out there and experience it.
the_fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:21 PM   #2

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
How exciting! I will look forward to your future posts and the posts of others!
lisantica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 01:21 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Dave, that’s wise thinking about life... you sound a lot like Norm & Ginny from this site. We have had two 13’ Scamps over a 20 year period. The first was a standard floorplan when our two children were at home, and the second was a deluxe, much like a front bath layout, except where the bath would have been it was all storage and counter top. For just the two of us this worked out pretty well for extended living of 3-4 months at a time. The problem was my wife goes to bed earlier than I, and I had to sit on the porti-potty to read or use the laptop. Paula also stated a desire to have a dedicated bathroom/shower for her, and a comfortable place for me to sit when she was in bed, so we looked for something with these needs/desires in mind and came up with the Lil Snoozy. It had a full-time queen bed, real sofa, and bath/shower, but since we would now be retired and not knowing where we would be camping or if we would have electricity, as generators are limited to useage in most areas, I added propane to the all electric trailer. For us, this floor plan makes this the perfect trailer. We also learned that awning usage with both Scamps was very limited as they don’t offer much shade or shelter from rain, and windy conditions come up fast, so they were not deployed over night or when we were not right at camp to take them down for their protection. We now have a CLAM shelter which can withstand 50 mph winds, gives us shelter from sun, rain, wind and cold, as we use a portable propane fire pit in it. All this is just food for thought based on our expierences.
Happy Trails
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 01:30 PM   #4

Name: Rich
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13D
Minnesota
I hope your soon-to-be Scamp '13 brings you as much fun and adventure as ours has done. We have met some of the nicest people at fiberglass trailer rallies. We also have enjoyed the peace and quiet of just running off to a state park on our own to get out of town and back into nature. All the best to you.
Rich G. and Val F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:53 PM   #5

Colorado
Funny you should mention Norm and Ginny. I came across a few of their posts and it is truly inspirational that they have been together doing what they love for so long and are better people for having done so.
---------------------------

We have spent a grand total of 15 minutes in a Scamp so why did we choose the Scamp over the others on the market like the T@b, Taxa Cricket or stick built?

Taxa Cricket – Great quality I really loved the thoughtful design it was truly inspiring and would be my choice if we were just looking for something to take camping in the woods for a few days to a week. Major downside for us was the roof that pops up making it hard to heat / cool and the lack of amenities so it is spartan.

T@b – Really loved the interior and the teardrop shape it truly has the cool classic vibe and a good following. The heating, cooling and appliances beat the Scamp in my opinion but I could not stand up in the bathroom and was worried how the exterior would hold up over time

Stickbuilt – Each one I looked at in the small / light category the quality was horrible, you could tell they were slapped together with the cheapest materials possible

Why did we go with a 13’ and not something larger?

1. We wanted something small that was easy to maintain, equip and tow but enough space / amenities to make a longer trip enjoyable. After owning a huge house on 3 acres that was fully landscaped including around 200 rose bushes we now truly understand that the things you own can end up owning you. Go small go now mentality with a hint of minimalism attitude.
2. We wanted something we could tow with our current vehicles, a small SUV and a midsize SUV this would allow us to try it out without spending money on vehicles and a larger trailer that would just consume more fuel.
3. Resale on the scamp is great, it allows us to try it with minimal financial downside. If we decide we want something larger down the road it is not a big deal. If we decide we do not like it and would rather travel by other means again no big deal.

It is neither flashy nor flimsy, it is understated yet timeless, it exudes cool without being crass all while being reminiscent of a time when quality mattered and people were proud of what they had built with their own two hands.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:24 PM   #6

Registry
We've had our 13' for about 12 years now. The last 7 years we've traveled quite a bit. It works great for us, we came into out Scamp from backpacking, the main reason was we were camping with other people part of time and it got really old getting dressed laying on our backs. The Scamp took care of that plus we've been able to camp year around without the discomfort of cooking and eating in the cold or rain or both. Some people think it's too small for 2 people, but for us 2 we wouldn't want anything bigger. It's so easy to get ready to go or to move. We can fit into some pretty small spaces. I hope you enjoy your Scamp as much as have ours.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:31 AM   #7

Colorado
Prepping for pickup and outfitting the Scamp

Our Scamp has the front bath and the big bed so I expect our storage to be somewhat limited. With the storage limitations in mind we will be trying equip the scamp with items that serve multiple functions while reusing items from our camping days.

Fortunately, camping products to be lightweight easy to store so many of the items we have collected over the years should be useful for the Scamp.

Additionally, I believe in buying good quality items that will last and provide good service. While often this means something will cost more that is not always the case for example that is how I view the Scamp.

All of our kitchen / camping supplies fit into a Pelican 1610 case with some room to spare and I feel it should fit into the Scamp easily and I might add a nice skillet for cooking breakfast
Attached Thumbnails
Packed.jpg   unpacked.jpg  

Old 10-07-2017, 07:35 AM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
junk

we have learned to keep everything barebones we keep our stove and such in a tub under the bed. Most times we have a single burner coleman to use for breakfast and since we have no shower to heat water for our military baths. the rest of our lunch and dinner is combined in a nice meal so that is the end of cooking in the camper for the day!

My A-Liner had way more storage than our 13f but we still continue to learn small is better!

By the way our campers look ridiculous but I love Stevie

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:38 AM   #9

Colorado
Nesting pots and pans. They are designed for backpacking so they are lightweight and nest within each other. they are great for saving space and are light but I wish they were a little thicker but I will use them for a while until I have a better idea of what we need in the Scamp.
Attached Thumbnails
pots&pans.jpg   IMG_2005.jpg  

Old 10-07-2017, 07:47 AM   #10

Missouri
Mr fixer

Here is how I rock. My wife is 69 I am 75 my days of working are over her days of working are over.

here is what we pack 1 skillet, 1 small pan we use disposables, and I do not allow her to do any heavy cooking no crockpots nothing! When we go on vacation-vacations here no extra work no hard work! We have breakfast in if we feel like it and eat out the rest of the day!

My wife is a fantastic cook by the way and a canner! Help me on the mess created with canning!

I think she has worked far harder than me she was a school teacher for 35 years I got to wander all over selling! She deserves a break!

best regards your friend

bob
Old 10-07-2017, 08:42 AM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fixer View Post
...Why did we go with a 13’ and not something larger?

1. We wanted something small that was easy to maintain, equip and tow but enough space / amenities to make a longer trip enjoyable. After owning a huge house on 3 acres that was fully landscaped including around 200 rose bushes we now truly understand that the things you own can end up owning you. Go small go now mentality with a hint of minimalism attitude.
2. We wanted something we could tow with our current vehicles, a small SUV and a midsize SUV this would allow us to try it out without spending money on vehicles and a larger trailer that would just consume more fuel.
3. Resale on the scamp is great, it allows us to try it with minimal financial downside. If we decide we want something larger down the road it is not a big deal. If we decide we do not like it and would rather travel by other means again no big deal.

It is neither flashy nor flimsy, it is understated yet timeless, it exudes cool without being crass all while being reminiscent of a time when quality mattered and people were proud of what they had built with their own two hands.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:46 AM   #12

Missouri
Jon after 2 big-time back surgeries I am in the same boat. After owning this house and 50a for 41 years it is time to get rid of it all. Its going to be tough but this winter is our last I just cant bear the fact I cannot take care of this place besides I want to go campin in my Scamp 13f I have 5k in!!

I will say though wealthy buyers are standing by waiting!!!

bob
Old 10-07-2017, 09:04 AM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Nesting pots and pans. They are designed for backpacking so they are lightweight and nest within each other. they are great for saving space and are light but I wish they were a little thicker but I will use them for a while until I have a better idea of what we need in the Scamp.
We like to cook when we camp, and we're four with occasional additions, so full-sized pots and pans work better for us. We've pared it down to three essentials: (1) a 12" nonstick frying pan, (2) a 7 qt. nonstick stew pot (replaced the glass lid with an old metal one we had lying around), and (3) a medium-sized coffee pot (minus the insides). All three fit in the narrow cupboard between the icebox and furnace. Among other tasks, the stewpot is big enough to steam fresh seafood such as Dungeness crabs when we can get it. The frying pan fits four pancakes at once, heats large tortillas, and serves up a stir-fry for the whole crew. The coffee pot heats water for washing and hot drinks.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1860.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	292.5 KB
ID:	112296
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 12:35 PM   #14

Colorado
Not sure where we will end up on the cooking scale but probably somewhere between the extremes of cooking every meal and eating out for every meal. I know there will be days when we are beat from activities and will just want to grab something and fall asleep and there will be other times when we are out playing all day and grab something along the way.

Then there is the experience that comes with traveling and trying the local cuisine or finding that place with such great food that it is imprinted into your memories forever it really does become part of the adventure.

Much like life I suppose it should be a balance, too much one way and you might miss out on a unique experience that changes you and too much the other way can drain your savings and add extra pounds.

I aspire to be the person that can make time to cook and eat a healthy meal, I know this is one of the things that will improve my quality of life and it is less expensive so it really seems like a no brainer but much like water I am often prone to taking the path of least resistance so we will see.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:40 PM   #15

Missouri
scamping

when we travel or trout we get done get a sandwich or whatever by 8pm we are hitting the hay. we don't light campfires watch tv or anything just wore out.

I cant figure it out why we are so tired!

bob
Old 10-07-2017, 12:58 PM   #16

Colorado
Double duty

One of the things that attracted me to the SEATOSUMMIT dinnerware is the compact yet useful nature of the product, it is well thought out and designed with each item having the ability to serve multiple functions.

The plates fold down flat for easy storage and the back can be used as a cutting board eliminating the need to carry a cutting board and the sides extend above the plate to keep your food where it should be.

The small storage container doubles as a mug, measuring cup and has a sealed lid so you can take food in it without spilling or just cover it to keep away the pests. Salsa, dip or a drink it will do it.

The large storage container works better as a bowl than their official bowl as it is sturdy, although it does not lay perfectly flat like the bowl they off I prefer this one and the flexibility it provides. Need to measure something yep it can do that, need a bowl it has you covered, speaking of covers it has one that keeps food in and pests out.

Another cool feature is that they can nest within each other, the small sealed container and mugs can fit into the lid of the large sealed container.

Between moving to a small house from a mcmansion and getting the Scamp I am learning to look at the value something adds and how it can be used for multiple purposes and seriously consider if I need it and if it will fit.

What does double duty in your camper?
Attached Thumbnails
expanded.jpg   bowl.jpg  

mug.jpg   plate cuttingboard.jpg  

stacking.jpg   stacked.jpg  

Old 10-07-2017, 02:55 PM   #17

Name: claire
Trailer: 2013 casita pd
Texas
Quote:
One of the things that attracted me to the SEATOSUMMIT dinnerware is the compact yet useful nature of the product, it is well thought out and designed with each item having the ability to serve multiple functions.

The plates fold down flat for easy storage and the back can be used as a cutting board eliminating the need to carry a cutting board and the sides extend above the plate to keep your food where it should be.

The small storage container doubles as a mug, measuring cup and has a sealed lid so you can take food in it without spilling or just cover it to keep away the pests. Salsa, dip or a drink it will do it.

The large storage container works better as a bowl than their official bowl as it is sturdy, although it does not lay perfectly flat like the bowl they off I prefer this one and the flexibility it provides. Need to measure something yep it can do that, need a bowl it has you covered, speaking of covers it has one that keeps food in and pests out.

Another cool feature is that they can nest within each other, the small sealed container and mugs can fit into the lid of the large sealed container.

Between moving to a small house from a mcmansion and getting the Scamp I am learning to look at the value something adds and how it can be used for multiple purposes and seriously consider if I need it and if it will fit.

What does double duty in your camper?
dave, where did you find this dinnerware? i really like it. light-weight, folds into small sizes, various uses for the same item, and nothing going into our landfills. very smart idea! thanks for posting (really like the pics too)
clairemr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 03:06 PM   #18

Colorado
Campers to Scampers ~ Preparation ~ Delivery ~ First trip

The company is located in Boulder Colorado about a 20 min drive from us but we purchased the at JAX outdoor world.

REI and Cabellas carry them as well as many online retailers.

They have a line of cooking pots that collapse as well as a tea pot. I thought about buying them but the bottom is thin aluminum and I was worried that it would warp like our nesting back pack pans.
Old 10-07-2017, 03:09 PM   #19

Name: claire
Trailer: 2013 casita pd
Texas
Quote:
The company is located in Boulder Colorado about a 20 min drive from us but we purchased the at JAX outdoor world.

REI and Cabellas carry them as well as many online retailers.

They have a line of cooking pots that collapse as well as a tea pot. I thought about buying them but the bottom is thin aluminum and I was worried that it would warp like our nesting back pack pans.
thanks for the info, dave
clairemr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 03:57 PM   #20

Colorado
Flying by the seats of our pants

When we put the deposit on our Scamp about 8 months ago the plan was to pick up the Scamp and spend a few weeks in Florida diving and relaxing at the beach.

Reading on this site and others alerted me to the fact that the good spots in Florida need to be reserved far in advance so I narrowed it down to a few different areas and reserved some excellent sites.

Then came Irma, she had no respect for the time and effort that went into planning our grand adventure or the fact that we have been joyfully counting down the days to our little bit of freedom we call vacation each year. In a few short days she managed to shut down our first planned stop and put the second stop under 10ft of water slightly derailing our plans.

Adjust, adapt, make different plans

Then came Nate and he decides to target our new stop at Topsail State park…

So at this point we are just under two weeks from our planned arrival in Florida and unsure if either of the places we have reservations at will be open or what state they will be in when we arrive. Ginnie Springs claims they will be open and topsail is closed but from what I have found they avoided any major damage from Nate but it was an interesting night of watching the weather channel last night.

But hey we have a scamp and it goes where it is towed so we will adjust, adapt and enjoy.

Tags
scamp