Campground in VA - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2013, 04:52 PM   #1

Name: LAUVONE
Trailer: CASITA
Alabama
Campground in VA

I plan on visiting my son and family in Hampton, VA. around the third week of August. I need help with finding a campground to stay for a week or so.
I have a camping directory by Good Sam that lists one in Williamsburg, but would like to find one closer to Hampton.
I tried the search function, but found nothing. Any help will be appreciated.
ALABAMALT
ALABAMALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:35 PM   #2

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
"First Landing State Park", beautiful. Need reservations I think.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:32 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We also like First Landing, but have only used it for a couple night stopover. There was some city park around Williamsburg or Newport News that was not very good. Can't remember the name of it.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:48 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Newport News park Newport News Park I drive by it all the time but have never stayed there. I have seen good reviews on it, just don't stay in the loop near the interstate. It is located near Fort Eustis half way between W-burg and Hampton. If you are military, Langley AFB has a campground but it has a lot of homesteaders. Fort Monroe (X Army Base) was shut down last year. I think it was turned over to the City of Hampton, there used to be a campground there.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:00 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Whatever city park it was in that area we stayed at, and it was only overnight, what impressed me was there were 20 or so campers in the loop, and the men's room had only one toilet.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #6

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
to the Forum Lauvone.
Good luck on your search.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:50 PM   #7

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALABAMALT View Post
I plan on visiting my son and family in Hampton, VA. around the third week of August. I need help with finding a campground to stay for a week or so.
I have a camping directory by Good Sam that lists one in Williamsburg, but would like to find one closer to Hampton.
I tried the search function, but found nothing. Any help will be appreciated.
ALABAMALT
AlabamaLT, we have kids in Chesapeake and camphost at First landing State Park in Virginia Beach. Its a very nice Park but some areas of it are right on a very busy highway (not an Interstate). When you reserve they don't assign you a site but its done basically by size of site with elect and water or basic. no sewer hookups at all. You can reserve whatever size site you want such as, if you own a tent, popup, or small travel trailer you can still purchase a larger site. When you get there they will assign you a loop with a colored card which matches the size you reserved with each site post having its number in your color, you drive through the assigned loop and pick your site according to the color of your ticket. We hosted in the "H" loop and "D" and "G" loop and the best site in "H" are 8-15 which are on a road that parallels the beach, once you get past 15 you loop around towards the paralleled highway which are mixed size sites. In "G" loop most are on a beach road with the bigger and best sites on the beach side of the road. "D" loop is somewhat of a small "G" loop. Now keep in mind that none of the park sites are beach sites as far as camping right on the beach. There is a large dune that runs full length of the beach with a wooden boardwalk in each loop to get you over on the beach. Hope this helps some, I know it is confusing. any questions just pm me
Old 08-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #8

Name: LAUVONE
Trailer: CASITA
Alabama
Thanks

Thanks for the help and information. Have emailed the Newport CG asking if they have spaces available for my stay. If not, will try one of the others.
Thanks again.
ALABAMALT
ALABAMALT is offline   Reply With Quote