Campground question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2009, 07:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 1977 Boler (Orange Sunrise 'Clementine')
Registry
I have been browsing state and forest service campgrounds in Washington, trying to figure out where we would be able to stay with a 13-foot trailer. Which kinds of campsites are suitable for a short trailer and a fairly short car? Some of the campsites say they aren't designated for RV's but have room for 2 cars. Can you use those and back the trailer into one space and put the car in the other? I assume some of this would have to do with whether we need hook-ups (do we always need electrical hook-ups?).

And just generally, is there a good way of determining where we can stay and where we can't?
Amy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:45 PM   #2

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
We just go to the campgrounds with the idea that we can use just about any site, and that is with a somewhat bigger trailer and car. We equipped our trailer with enough battery power and a water system that works well. I think the decisive factor is whether you require electric hookup or not, and many sites not designated for RVs seem to be that way because there is no power available. A smaller trailer can easily be equipped for camping in virtually any site.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:47 PM   #3

Trailer: 1977 Boler (Orange Sunrise 'Clementine')
Registry
Good to know! I have no idea yet how often we will need electric hookup. I would love to have some solar capability at some point.

Quote:
We just go to the campgrounds with the idea that we can use just about any site, and that is with a somewhat bigger trailer and car. We equipped our trailer with enough battery power and a water system that works well. I think the decisive factor is whether you require electric hookup or not, and many sites not designated for RVs seem to be that way because there is no power available. A smaller trailer can easily be equipped for camping in virtually any site.
Amy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:05 PM   #4

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Hi Amy,

Welcome to the group.

We love our little 13. To keep the weight down we do not have a refrigerator, air conditioner or furnace. We don't even have the water tank and pump. Just carry water jugs for what we need. In place of the ice box / refrig we have storage space.

Our electric needs are very little. We use a light for about an hour in the evening, and if it is hot the fantastic fan gets run. If it is cold weather camping then we try to find electricity so we can use a cube heater.

We like being little because we can find spots other people can't use. Not "needing" electricity makes life much more flexible.

Good luck with your hunt. Do visit one of the gatherings. We looked for a year before we were comfortable with what we wanted. Going to gatherings really helped us make that decision.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:33 AM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

AMY---- welcome... Explore the term "boondocking" We do not have any electrical or water tank or fridge (icebox either) Icechest goes out the door upon parking... We do have a propane light in both trailers. Cold weather we use a Mr Heater (and live with the condensation) Any place that one can park a car is good enuff. That's the luxury of a 13 footer. Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:41 AM   #6

Trailer: 1978 13 ft Scamp
i could not have said this better, i have an ouside "car" battery that will light up the scamp and works about all summer on a full charge and i too have no frig, furnace or use the water... I find that Most tent spots are great for me unless its one that you have to walk in to away from the parking pad... Have a great time..

Valerie

Quote:
Hi Amy,

Welcome to the group.

We love our little 13. To keep the weight down we do not have a refrigerator, air conditioner or furnace. We don't even have the water tank and pump. Just carry water jugs for what we need. In place of the ice box / refrig we have storage space.

Our electric needs are very little. We use a light for about an hour in the evening, and if it is hot the fantastic fan gets run. If it is cold weather camping then we try to find electricity so we can use a cube heater.

We like being little because we can find spots other people can't use. Not "needing" electricity makes life much more flexible.

Good luck with your hunt. Do visit one of the gatherings. We looked for a year before we were comfortable with what we wanted. Going to gatherings really helped us make that decision.

Nancy
Valerie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:02 AM   #7

Name: Tyler
Trailer: 72 Cloud
Wisconsin
Registry
I added a solar panel to my Cloud over last winter and have been enjoying what seems like unlimited electric all this past year. I have just one group 32 deep cell and run everything off of 12v. I do have a small 300w inverter that I use when the computer needs charging or the kids want to watch a movie on the portable DVD player (I haven't found a 12v cord for it yet) and I keep my cell phone plugged in almost all time plus a small 12v fan running almost 24h for circulation (seems to keep the condensation to a minimum in the cold weather) and I have never touched the 50% mark on my battery. I paid a little extra money for a good panel but saved money by installing everything myself. Happy camping and hope you go off the grid soon. I don't think you would regret it.
EddyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:50 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy M View Post
I have been browsing state and forest service campgrounds in Washington, trying to figure out where we would be able to stay with a 13-foot trailer. Which kinds of campsites are suitable for a short trailer and a fairly short car? Some of the campsites say they aren't designated for RV's but have room for 2 cars. Can you use those and back the trailer into one space and put the car in the other? I assume some of this would have to do with whether we need hook-ups (do we always need electrical hook-ups?).

And just generally, is there a good way of determining where we can stay and where we can't?

When you look at National Forest Service and National Park Campground information, generally speaking, unless it says walk in sites your 13 trailer will work. There's enough campgrounds around Washington and Oregon that if you can't get into one there's probably another campground not too far away. We've even managed in a walk-in only campground where there was enough room for the trailer.

As for hook-ups, we very rarely use hoop-ups. We traveled over 100 days with about 4 or 5 of those with electricity.

As for battery power, before LEDs I could generally go 3 or 4 days without recharging the battery. (74 amp hour deep cycle batter). Now that I've changed to all LED lights I can go a week in warm weather, in colder weather it's about the same. The major use in cold weather in the furnace. I do carry a portable solar 65 Watt panel, but I only need it if I stay in one place more than 3 or 4 days since the tow charges the battery while traveling.

The listings that say 2 cars generally mean two cars end to end, sometimes side by side. But you still use your trailer for one and only have to pay for one.

I would suggest that you simply head out our way, get Forest Service maps and head for a likely campground. We avoid reservations and State Campgrounds. We also plan our moves to get into a campground on either Sunday or Monday. That's right after the week-enders leave. Another point, in the Oregon/Washington National Forests there's lots of "dispersed" camping, meaning no campground just a place to get off the road. With your trailer you've always got a bedroom and a kitchen.

Your first trip is the most anxious, once initiated into the "boondocking" world you'll have no problems. Enjoy.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:23 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Did anyone read the date on the OP?
Old 11-21-2012, 03:31 PM   #10

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Yes:

You and me!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:19 PM   #11

Name: Tyler
Trailer: 72 Cloud
Wisconsin
Registry
I did now. Lol. Regardless I think these posts are always helpful to someone at some point even if they have been going for many years.
EddyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:36 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Well the one of the few times I didn't look at the OP date. Oh, well.