Campgrounds-101 N. California - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2013, 06:10 PM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Campgrounds-101 N. California

What's your favorite campground on (or close to) 101 in the northern California section? (between Santa Rosa and Eureka.) I'm just looking to overnight.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:03 AM   #2

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Petaluma KOA, Petaluma Calif.
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #3

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
Several state parks in the redwoods, 1/2 hour north of Eureka is the large national redwood park. Enjoy. Marg in NW CA
Marg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:01 AM   #4

Registry
If I stop it will be on the way north TO Eureka- I'm headed for McKinleyville but not sure I want to make it in one day since I can't get an early start. Well, it will be a weekday this month so I should just be able to pull in, no reservation. We stayed in one of the campgrounds south of Eureka once but it has been so many years that all I remember is that they wanted proof of the dogs' rabies vaccinations (which I remember because no one else has ever asked.) Also that it was nice but I was either tent-camping or sleeping in the back of the pickup (can't even remember which!) so trailer sites were not an issue.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:32 AM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
My favorite for the past 65 (really) years is Grizzly Creek State Park just outside Fortuna. My family has been camping there since the 20's and sold their property to become part of the park. But we still went there every year forever. I was there almost two years ago while it was being restored and upgraded. It is open again.

On the minus side...Avoid any parks that claim to be close to the Russian River, (Santa Rosa to Gurneville) most become rowdy and noisy party parks at night and are frequently overcrowded beyond belief.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:49 PM   #6

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 19
California
Standish-Hickey is one of my favorites, and I echo the Grizzly Creek experience. Panther Flats on the Smith River is great, also, but may be beyond where you're going.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:40 PM   #7

Registry
I'll probably end up around Avenue of the Giants as Fortuna would be close enough that I'd keep going (esp. with a campground not right off the highway.) And yes, Smith River is too far.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 05-13-2013, 09:02 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
We're headed to Prairie Creek State Park, inside the Redwoods National Park in July. Drove through it once and it looked like a nice place to stay a few days. Also it's one of three California State Parks that honor the federal Senior Pass. All three are in the Redwoods National Park.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:46 AM   #9

BTW: The SHELL station on the main street throuh Fortuna has a FREE dump station.
AND The state park ON the Ave of the Giants, at the visitors center, is always very crowded, but the one in the Rockefeller Forest area is more apt to have room for same day reservations as is Grizzly Creek.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #10

Registry
It would have been a week day in May so I don't think space would be an issue. But its too hot now to get packd up to leave so now it looks like I'll make it all the way to my destination in one day without a stop.

Where is Rockefeller forest? Never heard of that one.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:44 PM   #11

Rockefeller Forest

It's a lesser used part of the Humboldt Redwoods State Park.
This might take you there, otherwise just google:

Has a very large, less used/less developed campground.
Mid-week/Mid May is no guarantee of campsites along the Ave.

Humboldt Redwoods State Park
Humboldt Redwoods State Park is a state park of California, United States, containing Rockefeller Forest, the world's largest remaining contiguous old-growth forest of coast redwoods. Wikipedia

Area: 80.7 sq miles (209 km˛)