Campgrounds - Alaska & Back... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2020, 10:01 PM   #21

Name: Stu
Trailer: 2003 21RB Bigfoot
Coos Bay, Oregon
Thumbs up

We've made the trip twice (2013 & 2018) and plan to go back in 2021

The only places we had reservations for were Denali NP and the Russian River (Forest Service campground). Need to get on Recreation.gov 6 months at midnight before the date(s) you want. Have a Recreation.gov account set-up before hand if you don't already.

If you fish I highly recommend the Russian River campground. Reds (Sockeye) usually run from mid-July to mid-August. Walk from the campground to world-class fishing. Tons of big bears along the rivers. Great hiking trails. They only allow you to camp 3 days in a row. On our days off we would go stay at Soldatna (and re-supply) or a free campground at Skilak lake.

Also, on your way up plan on stopping at Baby Nugget RV Park. https://www.goodsam.com/campgrounds-...ark-220000276/ They are near the junction of the Cassiar and Alaska Highways. They have a great laundry facility and a dump. Don't think you'll need reservations.

Liard HS is a must stop, if only for the afternoon.
South Coast Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 06:45 AM   #22

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
We spent 80 days traveling to Alaska last summer starting on July 4. We made no reservations and spent approximately half the time boondocking. According to the lady in the visitor center at Sweetgrass, south of Calgary, you can boondock in the Yukon at just about any place you can get into, but not in some ones yard. Almost every stream/river crossing has pulloffs, which are quite nice. I don't recommend the roaring river unless you have ear plugs. We also spent several nights in gravel pits. Campgrounds are numerous and cost $12 cn for a picnic table and fire ring. Reservations are recommended at major attractions. Alaska also has many pulloffs and river side camping spots.

I recommend Wikicamps for finding camping places up north. It utilizes a downloaded database and works without an internet connection. The map it uses is not the best so I downloaded the areas we were going thru into google maps.

As mentioned earlier, get gas when you can. I brought a 5 gallon can and we did use it. Also, if a sign says 'damaged road' SLOW DOWN or you might soil you shorts. We traveled later in the season to allow the road crews time to do their thing before we got there. It is definitely an adventure.
Old 03-14-2020, 11:00 AM   #23

Name: Mindy
Trailer: 13’ Boler
Ontario
Check the Alberta campgrounds!

Just an update.... if you are traveling up through Alberta be aware that as of a few weeks ago the new Government has just closed or sold 167 campgrounds, parks etc. it would be beneficial to look into this prior to driving through as many stops will be gone or in private company hands.
Gmindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 04:13 PM   #24

Name: Duke & Chris
Trailer: Oliver
Florida
June through November last year my husband and I traveled from Florida to Alaska and back, spending most of July, August, & September in Canada and Alaska. We winged it, zero reservations, stayed in state or provincial parks, municipal parks, rest areas, & two private campgrounds. (No national parks.) We noticed the key to getting a spot anywhere is to get there before 3:00 p.m.

Ahhhh, it was a glorious trip! Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20200314-181017_Polarsteps.jpg  
ShallowGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 04:54 PM   #25

Name: Nancy
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
We never made a reservation in 2008 or 2015 at all. The only place we had trouble was at Denali National Park. Take the phone number for making a reservation and call a week or so ahead. Liard Hotsprings and many other places have overflow parking that is nice. If the sign says full then just go ask. The Canadians were very helpful with sites. We pulled into one campground that said full at Johnsons Canyon and they gave us a handicap site that was empty for one night. Along the parks hwy you cannot camp at pullouts in Canada but in Alaska no problems. In White Horse in the Yukon you can stay in the Walmart parking lot. It is actually marked for that reason. There is a gas station next door that has a dump and water. They just ask that you buy fuel there. They were one of the cheapest stations also. Many people even drop their trailers and go see the sights which are many in that area. Just drive slow and careful and see the animals and sites as you go. You don't want a schedule as you'll want to see a lot. In Haines on the July 4th weekend we got a site in a campground right on the edge of the water. They actually told us to stay for 4 nights for all the festivities. The fireworks over the water were awesome. We used the Milepost since it told a lot of stuff that the Church's Campground guide didn't but the campground guide also helps a lot. Some of the Fred Meyer Stores have places in their parking lots that you can camp in and they provide a dump and water for free. Have a great time.

Great advice, but I believe the Walmart in Whitehorse no longer allows RV's to camp. In the Yukon (we lived there for 35 years) you can pull off into any gravel pit or pull off for the night, no one will bother you. If you come back via Highway 37 there are a lot of rest areas and some nice recreational sites and they are free. Google BC recreational sites, you are allowed to stay up to 7 days free. You can stop at our place in rural Houston BC for free as well.
Nancy F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 05:07 PM   #26

Name: Nancy
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Morton View Post
We've been up and down the highway between Anchorage and the Lower 48 several times, with & without our Scamp. As others have commented, the only reservations we've made were at Banff & Jasper. Lots of campgrounds, some great & at least one awful. Get off the road by the middle of the afternoon and there's rarely a problem getting a site. It can be a different story late in the evening, and it can get very late before you realize it. Do plan to drive the alternate route on the Cassiar Highway in one direction; I would do it northbound. It's a narrower road with less traffic and some really nice Provincial campgrounds. If you want to explore Southeast Alaska and the Inside Passage, you should know that the Alaska Marine Highway (the Alaska state ferry system) is in shambles right now between aging equipment and political wrangling over budget cuts and taxes. There may or may not be service this year. You will need a reservation, especially with a vehicle. Keep checking back with them and have a backup plan!

Interesting, we prefer Highway 37 (Cassiar Highway) going south, and have traveled it many times with and without an RV. It is so much better now that it is not gravel anymore. The rest of your info is spot on.
Nancy F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 08:06 AM   #27

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
while in canada

while in Canada we used those sites. Usually a pit toilet its so cold there no smell and solitude for tenting! We did it many times and had great fun and no one was there but us!

bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy F View Post
Interesting, we prefer Highway 37 (Cassiar Highway) going south, and have traveled it many times with and without an RV. It is so much better now that it is not gravel anymore. The rest of your info is spot on.
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 08:14 AM   #28

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
It looks like making firm plans for travel by road to Alaska is over because at the moment they are all in a holding pattern. No telling when the border between the USA and Canada will let anyone pass through in either direction for a recreational pursuit. It might not open before summer is over, too soon to tell.

Despite a postponement of plans, the dream can still live on
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 09:20 AM   #29

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Yah, we put our plans on hold. We'll just have to see how this plays out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
It looks like making firm plans for travel by road to Alaska is over because at the moment they are all in a holding pattern. No telling when the border between the USA and Canada will let anyone pass through in either direction for a recreational pursuit. It might not open before summer is over, too soon to tell.

Despite a postponement of plans, the dream can still live on
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 09:48 AM   #30

Name: Greg
Trailer: Escape 19'er
Colorado
My wife and I are super flexible... If possible we'll head to the north country. If not, there's more than a lifetime of travel opportunities here in the US of A. Both options are great!
Not all who wander are lost.
EscapeBoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 12:07 PM   #31

Name: Ken
Trailer: Scamp 16
Anchorage
Nancy F:
I find the north end of the Cassiar is generally rougher and narrower than the rest of the Cassiar. I think if I had first turned onto the Cassiar at the north end without knowing it would soon get better, I might have been discouraged from continuing on!
Ken Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 01:14 PM   #32

Name: Alexander
Trailer: Escape 15B
British Columbia
Highway 37, the 'Stewart Cassiar' Highway is a must. As is a side trip to Stewart. The municipal campground is super clean and there's a free dump in town. Another spectacular sight is the Salmon Glacier which is a 37km (23 mile) drive from Stewart - past Hyder & beyond the bear viewing platform. I saw grizzlies from the platform, but be warned, the road to the glacier is terrible. When I went up it was down to one lane is spots and without any barriers--nothing between you and eternity after a several thousand foot tumble.
penderpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 09:18 AM   #33

Coos Bay, Oregon
Thumbs up

If you go on the Cassiar highway camp at the Meziadin campground (right off the highway from Stewart). Possibly the most beautiful camping spot I've ever stayed at. I have videos of our 2018 trip (5 parts) posted on my Youtube channel:

http://youtu.be/Vy0f7Ku1lws
Old 03-22-2020, 12:52 PM   #34

Name: Ken
Trailer: Scamp 16
Anchorage
Meziadin Lake

Get to Meziadin Lake early for a waterfront campsite. Also check out Tyhee Lake Provincial Park on Highway 16 south of the Cassiar, and Boya Lake Provincial Park on the Cassiar north of Meziadin Lake.
Ken Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 09:03 AM   #35

Coos Bay, Oregon
https://youtu.be/Vy0f7Ku1lws