campgrounds using tent only site? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2013, 07:35 PM   #1

Name: Jeff short for Jennifer
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1977
North Carolina
campgrounds using tent only site?

So we are planning our third trip in our almost finished [and probably always will be almost finished as I am learning you just keep adding to the list] 1977 13ft Scamp. Will attempt to add pictures, lack confidence.

Question: when looking at campgrounds online I keep seeing sites for RV's. We really don't need an RV site, we have our little solar panel and we travel pretty simple [If you ignore the Irish Wolfhound Great Dane mix and his terrier side kick we travel with] . Can I assume that we can use tent sites? Can I reserve a tent site and assume they will not kick us out of the site when we get there, which would be a GIGANTIC drag.

I am so open to admitting this may be a stupid question to most of you, but ask I must.
Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:42 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Jennifer, I think this might be on a case-by-case and campground-by-camground kinda question.

Some tent sites only have parking space for one vehicle. The tent space/pad is feet away. If that was the case, there wouldn't be room to back even a 13' with tug into the parking space.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:17 PM   #3

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
RV vs tent camping

Donna is right, tent sites are usually in out of the way places that would not accommodate any type of RV. When the term RV is used is is meant for anything from the smallest trailer to the largest self-contained unit. If you are uncomfortable with backing into a site ask for a pull-through site. I have found that type of site is usually available. Happy trails with your RV (small or large) they are all considered RVs. Marg in NW California
Marg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
I would be more cautious in state or local parks, they seem to take their policy and procedure more seriously. For a private campground, I'd ask and see how they can fit you in. Lots of "tent sites" are either a parking spot with a walk of varying length to the tent site, or a parking tray for one vehicle with the tent spot on the other side of the fire ring.

I know one fellow who takes a boat with him, has an arrangement with the campground where he winters for a site near the water, with the understanding that he has no services. He runs his rig off solar and a small inverter generator if the solar isn't providing. So I guess the best bet is to ask first, and go along with what they tell you, or move to a different campground that suits you needs better. That's what a free market is all about!
KevinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:33 PM   #5

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
We are booked at two provincial parks later this summer. In both cases, the campsites are designated "small trailer" which basically means any trailer shorter than 18 feet. We chose to go with full-service sites, but there are sites offered without services.
glamourpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
Several of our local state parks have whole loops of sites that are no-service, small back-in sites. Some are on dirt roads and have a bit of a hill to get to them. But they are generally the quietest, most scenic sites. I'd prefer them over a full-hookup pad any day. Talk to the owner or person at check-in or reservations- see where you'd fit best in what they have available. Probably get you into some places that might be booked for big rigs.
KevinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:00 PM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
As Derek mentioned its pretty common to find Provincial parks with small no service campsites -actually few BC provincial parks have any services big or small sites. I have noticed when using the Reserve America site that there is the option of choosing equipment under 18' which will give you options of small sites some with and some without services. On the check box menu you can choose no services. I have stayed at a number of US parks in small sites with no services. Sometimes they are the nicest spots in the park.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:03 PM   #8

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
I'm thinking other states' State Parks might do the same, but in Minnesota State Parks, the online reservation system gives you a photo of each campsite when you hover your mouse over the site number. It also usually lists the maximum length of trailer that the site can accept, and if slide-outs are feasible. Makes it very easy to figure out which site fits your needs the best.
In my case, since my backing-up-the-Scamp skills are relatively new, I look for sites that don't have sizable trees too close to the entry way.
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:23 PM   #9

Name: Tonia
Trailer: Scamp 13' (1982)
Wisconsin
Some of the tent only sites I've experienced are due to uneven terrain....regardless of hookups. Some are park and walk to the tent area types.
Tonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:38 PM   #10

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie View Post
Can I assume that we can use tent sites?
In a word, no. Campgrounds are not consistent, some will allow it, others won't. US National Forest campgrounds have sites that are either/or and tent only. The tent only sites are on terrain that is inaccessible to the trailer, and you have to hike some distance to get to it. Some KOAs have a common field for the tents, others put tents in small sites that are accessible to small trailers as well. Many campgrounds list sites according to the services provided, and how easy or difficult they are to get into...
  1. Full Hook-Up / Pull-Through / 50 amp
  2. Water & Electric only / Back-In / 30 amp
  3. Dispersed water taps, no electric / XX foot limit
  4. electric only
  5. no services / primitive

My interpretation:
#1 is a large Motorhome $ite (but OK for other vehicles too)
#2 is a Travel or Tent Trailer / Pick-up Camper / small Motorhome site
#3 is a common US Forest Service site
#4 is a Tent or small Trailer site (especially where even a tent could need an A/C)
#5 usually a Tent site but could be a small Trailer site
Old 06-08-2013, 02:58 AM   #11

Name: Leonard
Trailer: not yet
California
"We are booked at two provincial parks later this summer. In both cases, the campsites are designated "small trailer" which basically means any trailer shorter than 18 feet. "

Just wondering...something like a 19ft 5th wheel, ie Escape 5.0, would it be too big to get away with using one of these "small trailer" sites?

I really like the idea of using the smaller tent sites and dry camping, as there are so many more sites available sometimes. So don't want to be getting too big of trailer.
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:18 AM   #12

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
My experience has been as Fredrick stated. Sites are generally designated by services. Water, sewer, and amp rating of electric service. With pull-thru a feature that is usually listed.

Tent only my experience matches that of others, often sites that are unsuitable for camper, or open field sites. Some campgrounds are strict on tent only, some private ones will be flexible on the rules.

I find US Forest Service and State Park "rustic" sites are a good choice if you are self contained (no hook ups needed) and don't mind hand pump and pit toilet. Thing is many do not have reservations, and not all sites are well set up for putting a trailer into. Always some that will work ok, and some that are too steep of access or split into parking and camping area.

Many Michigan State parks have a rustic park associated with the modern campground, managed from the modern park ranger station. Bishop Lk has Applewood rustic, Chelsea area has Green Lake, Pickney has Blind Lk. etc. always worth calling the modern park and asking if the online reservation system does not make it clear.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:28 AM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
When looking at site parking, remember total length. Sites that say 18' or less may mean TOTAL, which is fine for a camper van, etc. From the rear bumper of my trailer to the front bumper of my tug... I'd need 32' of parking if I desire to keep both pieces of equipment in tandem at my site. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:03 AM   #14

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
It is definitely worth asking before making the assumption that just because you fit you can park a trailer in a tent site. For example, at the National Forest campgrounds around Turquoise Lake, CO most allow tents or RVs, but one of them, the Belle of Colorado campground, is tents only.

Another caution - many tent sites are fine for a tent, but because there are steps or a narrow path to get to the site, couldn't be used by a trailer.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:16 AM   #15

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Most campgrounds are strict on the tent only policy due to the suggestions above. But also remember, many "tenters" don't want to be around rv's! Even our lil glass trailers are considered rv's to them! They are looking for like minded campers............

Another suggestion is to look for, dry sites.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #16

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
Some KOAs have a common field for the tents, others put tents in small sites that are accessible to small trailers as well.
  1. Full Hook-Up / Pull-Through / 50 amp
  2. Water & Electric only / Back-In / 30 amp
  3. Dispersed water taps, no electric / XX foot limit
  4. electric only
  5. no services / primitive
I stayed at KOA Springfield, Missouri twice, once with a tent and once with the Compact Jr.
I was assigned to the same campsite both times, #4. (Disclosure: Train tracks on the south side of Farm Road 140)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
Am I the only one here who gets all nostalgic hearing trains in the night?
Old 06-08-2013, 09:14 AM   #17

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Does your Scamp have a porta potti or bathroom? If so, maybe you don't want to look for a campground. Maybe you would enjoy boondocking (dispersed camping) on public lands. That way you don't have to worry about site designations.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:06 AM   #18

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Registry
It can vary down to the individual. When we stayed in Yosemite we got in late and didn't realize we took a tent only spot (of what was left posted at the entrance as open sites). Next morning the Ranger was so impressed we got the 13' UHAUL in there, she said we were fine to leave it since she could not figure how on earth I did it (over big rocks and using 4x4). A year later we went back and thought we might try the same spot again but a different Ranger said no way. Call ahead if possible, it can save frustration.
Paul Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:15 AM   #19

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
When booking on the websites such as ReserveAmerica (which now also looks after reservations for a lot of Canadian Parks) on the site selection drop down the 18' & UNDER is specificity to the Equipment/Trailer only. Most do allow for the additional space required by the vehicle to park if its not clearly stated as tents only.

On ReserveAmerica for example when you select a site from the list of available sites, on the pop up there is often a link to check the site details which will normally include the sites length & width & some will show the actual trailer/tent pad length as well as the max driveway length. Some include photos of the sites. Sites for 18' and shorter trailers are often in the 45' total length range -some may be a little more some a little less which allows just enough room for a 18' trailer and a standard length vehicle (16') and a few feet between the front end of the vehicle and the road way.

BTW Frederick your item "#3 Dispersed water taps, no electric / XX foot limit" pretty well covers most Provincial Parks although they are starting to put in power and water into a small number of sites at some parks. I recall having a giggle a few years back when our then Provincial Premier was asked why our parks dont have water and electrical at each camp site and his response was our tourism slogan is "Super Natural British Columbia" and if people need power and water to camp they should just camp in their driveways.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #20

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I agree with the others, depends on the campgrounds. One description I have not heard mentioned yet is some campgrounds list a "camper van". We regularily camp on "tent" only sites on campgrounds we are familiar with. We reserve the site by phone with the campground directly rather than the online system to prevent any misunderstandings.
There are 4 tent sites in a row that are on the edge of the Elora Gorge suitable for our smaller trailers listed as tent only. All boondocking in a "radio free zone, vault toilets are 1/2 way to the flush, showers, electricity and noise. The ability to manouver while backing up and a BAL leveler are almost a necessity, but well worth it. Our favourite site even has a rock wall lookout overlooking the gorge.

Some of our best campsites have been camping in field when the campground, stacked row upon row with barely enough room for a picnic table between you and your neighbor has been full.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote