Camping across the border. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2021, 10:30 AM   #21

Name: G
Trailer: not yet
Manitoba
Canada Entry Requirements for Fully Vaccinated Americans

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...ary%20purposes.

Go down the page to see info on Entry to Canada

Check this site out. Government of Canada. If you are fully vaccinated (2 doses and last dose was over 2 weeks ago, you don't have to quarantine-more details on website-you have to submit information, to enter)
herbeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 10:49 AM   #22

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mszabo View Post
Keven most main branch bank here in Michigan have Canadian money and or can get it. Going rate is daily exchange rate plus 2.5 points at my bank.
If you get CAD at a bank, you pay, and if you have any left over, you have to buy something, or pay again to get USD. With a credit card, you pay once, and only for the purchase amount.
Old 08-18-2021, 11:33 AM   #23

Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 13. boler 13.
British Columbia
B.C. Is asking all tourists to go home. We have a huge wildfire problem. Over 250 forest fires. Some of them massive. Thousands of people on Evacuation.
Martin.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 11:39 AM   #24

British Columbia
  • Wildfire activity is increasing in the BC Interior, and travel on some provincial highways is being affected. Non-essential travel to and within fire-affected areas is discouraged to help avoid traffic congestion on evacuation routes. Refer to DriveBC for up-to-date information on highway closures and BC Wildfire Service for wildfire updates. See Wildfires under Key Resources below.
  • As of August 13, given the current wildfire situation in BC, the Province is asking people to not travel to parts of the Interior region until further notice. Find the list and map of the communities, here.
  • As of July 29, until further notice, Interior Health is discouraging non-essential travel to the Central Okanagan, including Lake Country, Kelowna, West Kelowna, Westbank First Nation, and Peachland, unless you are fully vaccinated (7 days after your second dose). A regional mandatory mask order is currently in place for all public indoor spaces in the area.
  • Starting August 9th, fully vaccinated American citizens and permanent residents (currently residing in the USA) will be able to enter Canada for leisure travel. Fully vaccinated international visitors will be able to enter Canada for leisure travel starting September 7th. If they meet the entry criteria, fully vaccinated travellers will not have to quarantine upon arrival to Canada. Find out if you can enter Canada, here.
  • For the latest information on travel to Canada including the updated federal requirements and restrictions, please visit the Government of Canada website here.
  • Further details on the COVID-19 situation in BC can be found at: gov.bc.ca/COVID-19.
Old 08-18-2021, 12:35 PM   #25

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 1980 Trillium 1300, 2005 Bigfoot 21
Free State of New Hampshire
CROSS THE BORDER

See Canada app,
Use ArriveCAN to enter Canada

fill out this app, its got all the info and requirements.

Easier by air but one still needs a car. I prefer to cross via car and camper.

Due to restrictions as Ive said, including the quarantine. I will wait until reality and sanity sets in with Trudeau and his minions. The two week halt is 18 months and will be with us forever. I feel for the cross border businesses destroyed and the freedom to travel. Like another FGRV member said, so many places to visit south of the border. BTW, when I visited Quebec last August I stayed in a lovely campground north of Rt 3 in NH called East Hereford.
Attached Thumbnails
Hereford.jpg  
Governor Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 01:30 PM   #26

Name: G
Trailer: not yet
Manitoba
Hi Bud, there is no quarantine if you have both vaccinations and it has been 2 weeks since last shot, and no symptoms and you submit your information required to Arrivcan. One might not like the requirements by the Gov. of Can. arriving by vehicle, on the other hand, Canadians as of yet are not allowed to enter by vehicle at all for non essential reasons to the US.
herbeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 01:52 PM   #27

Oh Canada

Thanks Herbeeking for weighing in.

Due to health reasons two members of our family cannot be vaccinated. We have tested negative as required by a wedding venue in upstate NY.

Sad that as Canadian Citizens we are not going to visit Canada anytime soon. (At least until 2024)
Old 08-18-2021, 06:34 PM   #28

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita17'Spirit Deluxe (aka: Tweaker's Casita)
Southwest Ohio
Registry
Postscript: Visiting Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryB. View Post
I crossed the border yesterday (08/13/2021) via the Ambassador bridge in Detroit to attend the EggFestOntario rally ...
Postscript…
I returned home from the rally Monday, 8/16 with several “lessons learned” (from my first trip to Canada) and a couple of “faux-pas” at the US Port of Entry.

Lessons learned:
I took a medium amount of small bills in US cash with me. I had heard that most places take credit cards and, for small amount transactions, some merchants will accept US money.

For credit cards, I carried Visa, MasterCard, AmEx and Discover. My Discover and AmEx both offered no-transaction-fee on purchases but the Visa & MasterCard did not. At the campground and at gas stations along the 401 highway, the Discover and AmEx were not accepted; however, the Visa and MasterCard were ok. Cash for small transactions worked ok but without factoring in the exchange rate; eg., I purchased a small item costing 2$ (Canadian) by paying $2 (US).

Highway signs (speed limit and distance) are posted in terms of km. Without rummaging thru my truck’s user manual for the capability to change my display from miles to kilometers, I dusted off my mental math skills and factored the difference as 1 km = 5/8 mile. :-)

Canadian gas is more expensive than US gas. It is dispensed in terms of liters (1 liter is slightly more than 1 US quart and 4 liters is slightly more than 1 US gallon). When I stopped for gas, paying at the pump was not an issue except that the option presented at the pump was “how much do you want to spend”. Knowing the size of my TV’s gas tank and my approximate usage I had to go thru another mental math exercise: “x” gallons needed times 4 times the price per liter. :-)

Faux-Pas at the US Port of Entry:
There were no lines at the open booths but I selected a line which had a car at the booth. I had to wait about 10-15 minutes for the car, which had Ontario plates to complete their processing. From my vantage point there seemed to be a lot of back-and-forth conversationally between the agent and the folks in the car.

Remembering that the Canadian Port of Entry agent requested me to “mask up”, I put my mask on while I waited in line. I also forgot to replace my (prescription) sun glasses with my regular glasses. And, when I stopped in line, I unfortunately rolled a foot or two past the stop (and wait here) line. :-(
  • When my turn came, it was obvious that the Port of Entry agent was not having a good day. The first indication was a verbal draw-down (scolding) for not stopping at the stop sign.
  • The agent asked for my “documentation”. Being conservative, I gave him my passport and my COVID-19 vaccination card. He immediately tossed the vaccination card back to me saying that he didn’t need it.
  • Checking his system he then demanded to know why my stay in Canada was so short. I replied that I attended a three day camp-out rally and had stayed an extra day.
  • He then asked me to remove my glasses and lower my mask. Holding my passport up for a visual comparison he ultimately decided that I was me.
  • Everything then seemed to go ok to the usual script of questions about firearms, cannabis , etc. until he asked me if I had “any firewood, plants, vegetables, fruit, etc.” I told him that I had none of the above but I unfortunately mentioned that I was bringing some oranges back home that I had purchased in the US prior to going into Canada.
  • At that point the wheels fell off of the interview process. He ordered me to “get out of the vehicle” and a policeman appeared and took up a defensive posture in front of my truck with his hand on his sidearm. The agent asked where the oranges were and demanded that I unlock the trailer and followed me to the door.
  • After opening the door, the agent climbed in and I started to follow him. As I started to step into the Casita, the agent barked “Get Out; Get Out”. Standing outside, I could here him rummaging around.
  • After about 5 minutes, the agent hopped out of the Casita and waved the bag of oranges like a world series trophy at the policeman. I reiterated that I had purchased the oranges in Cincinnati but the agent responded that he “couldn’t accept that because I could have acquired them in Canada”.
  • He then ordered me to open the tailgate on the truck. I did that and volunteered to fold back the tonneau cover but he ignored me, peered into the back of the truck and slammed the tailgate back. He then told me to get back in the truck and the policeman moved off to the side of my TV.
  • Going back to his booth, the agent returned my passport; told me to follow the signs to the interstate and that, as a returning citizen, I didn’t need to pay the bridge toll since I paid it when I entered Canada.
  • After getting on I75, I finally found a spot where I could pull over to make sure that the agent re-secured the fridge & cabinets on the Casita and breathe a thankful sigh of relief.
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 06:52 PM   #29

British Columbia
Quote:
Canadian gas is more expensive than US gas. It is dispensed in terms of liters (1 liter is slightly more than 1 US quart and 4 liters is slightly more than 1 US gallon). When I stopped for gas, paying at the pump was not an issue except that the option presented at the pump was “how much do you want to spend”. Knowing the size of my TV’s gas tank and my approximate usage I had to go thru another mental math exercise: “x” gallons needed times 4 times the price per liter. :-)
You just push the button for the most you could use to fill. Your card is authorized for that amount by the card company. You might find a charge on your statement for that amount ( say $150 ). But you will also find a credit for the difference between the cost of the gas you bought and the $150 authorized.
Old 08-18-2021, 07:32 PM   #30

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Postscript…
I returned home from the rally Monday, 8/16 with several “lessons learned” (from my first trip to Canada) and a couple of “faux-pas” at the US Port of Entry.

Lessons learned:
I took a medium amount of small bills in US cash with me. I had heard that most places take credit cards and, for small amount transactions, some merchants will accept US money.

For credit cards, I carried Visa, MasterCard, AmEx and Discover. My Discover and AmEx both offered no-transaction-fee on purchases but the Visa & MasterCard did not. At the campground and at gas stations along the 401 highway, the Discover and AmEx were not accepted; however, the Visa and MasterCard were ok. Cash for small transactions worked ok but without factoring in the exchange rate; eg., I purchased a small item costing 2$ (Canadian) by paying $2 (US).

Highway signs (speed limit and distance) are posted in terms of km. Without rummaging thru my truck’s user manual for the capability to change my display from miles to kilometers, I dusted off my mental math skills and factored the difference as 1 km = 5/8 mile. :-)

Faux-Pas at the US Port of Entry:
There were no lines at the open booths but I selected a line which had a car at the booth. I had to wait about 10-15 minutes for the car, which had Ontario plates to complete their processing. From my vantage point there seemed to be a lot of back-and-forth conversationally between the agent and the folks in the car.

Remembering that the Canadian Port of Entry agent requested me to “mask up”, I put my mask on while I waited in line. I also forgot to replace my (prescription) sun glasses with my regular glasses. And, when I stopped in line, I unfortunately rolled a foot or two past the stop (and wait here) line. :-(
  • When my turn came, it was obvious that the Port of Entry agent was not having a good day. The first indication was a verbal draw-down (scolding) for not stopping at the stop sign.
  • The agent asked for my “documentation”. Being conservative, I gave him my passport and my COVID-19 vaccination card. He immediately tossed the vaccination card back to me saying that he didn’t need it.
  • Checking his system he then demanded to know why my stay in Canada was so short. I replied that I attended a three day camp-out rally and had stayed an extra day.
  • He then asked me to remove my glasses and lower my mask. Holding my passport up for a visual comparison he ultimately decided that I was me.
  • Everything then seemed to go ok to the usual script of questions about firearms, cannabis , etc. until he asked me if I had “any firewood, plants, vegetables, fruit, etc.” I told him that I had none of the above but I unfortunately mentioned that I was bringing some oranges back home that I had purchased in the US prior to going into Canada.
  • At that point the wheels fell off of the interview process. He ordered me to “get out of the vehicle” and a policeman appeared and took up a defensive posture in front of my truck with his hand on his sidearm. The agent asked where the oranges were and demanded that I unlock the trailer and followed me to the door.
  • After opening the door, the agent climbed in and I started to follow him. As I started to step into the Casita, the agent barked “Get Out; Get Out”. Standing outside, I could here him rummaging around.
  • After about 5 minutes, the agent hopped out of the Casita and waved the bag of oranges like a world series trophy at the policeman. I reiterated that I had purchased the oranges in Cincinnati but the agent responded that he “couldn’t accept that because I could have acquired them in Canada”.
  • He then ordered me to open the tailgate on the truck. I did that and volunteered to fold back the tonneau cover but he ignored me, peered into the back of the truck and slammed the tailgate back. He then told me to get back in the truck and the policeman moved off to the side of my TV.
  • Going back to his booth, the agent returned my passport; told me to follow the signs to the interstate and that, as a returning citizen, I didn’t need to pay the bridge toll since I paid it when I entered Canada.
  • After getting on I75, I finally found a spot where I could pull over to make sure that the agent re-secured the fridge & cabinets on the Casita and breathe a thankful sigh of relief.
Good thing it wasn't grapefruit!!!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 07:42 PM   #31

British Columbia
We visited the Dominican Republic as do a lot of Canadians. At the airport for the flight home, I was offered $20 in Canadian coins for $5 USD. Tourists from Quebec tipped in loonies and toonies and the DR banks wouldn't exchange. I'd brought $200 in US one dollar bills for tipping.

So, one shouldn't expect a small business to follow the exchange rate. Costs them time and money to convert.
Old 08-18-2021, 07:50 PM   #32

Name: Brad
Trailer: Interested
Montana
First let me say.US citizens are not welcome in Canada. If they were it would be much easier to cross the border. I tried to cross the border and there was no covid testing facility that could guarantee a covid test within 72 hours in my area.I live several hundred miles from the border and between the drive time and the covid test results it would have pushing it. Since I had an appointment to keep it was a no go. There is a pharmacy in the Ontario border area that guarantee the test in 24 hours.Then you must enter all your information on a website called ARIVCANADA.A rapid covid test is not accepted.It must be a pcr test.It makes you wonder about the covid testing in the US.If it takes up to 72 hours to get results people are still moving around w/covid.
Montana Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 05:31 PM   #33

Early Oct is beginning of leaf-peeping here in NH. Should any Canadians make it to New England at that time I’d like to recommend north of the notch (Franconia Notch, rts 93 and 3 south of Quebec) many great campgrounds and the town of Littleton for supplies. Feel free to contact me as Ill be holding up at Burns Lake Campground in Whitefield.
Old 08-20-2021, 09:38 AM   #34

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Brad View Post
First let me say.US citizens are not welcome in Canada. If they were it would be much easier to cross the border. I tried to cross the border and there was no covid testing facility that could guarantee a covid test within 72 hours in my area.I live several hundred miles from the border and between the drive time and the covid test results it would have pushing it. Since I had an appointment to keep it was a no go. There is a pharmacy in the Ontario border area that guarantee the test in 24 hours.Then you must enter all your information on a website called ARIVCANADA.A rapid covid test is not accepted.It must be a pcr test.It makes you wonder about the covid testing in the US.If it takes up to 72 hours to get results people are still moving around w/covid.
The prime reason for our precautions to enter Canada from the US is the generally worse situation for covid in the US compared to Canada throughout the pandemic. Plus these restrictions (testing, possible quarantine) apply to everyone coming into Canada no matter from which country.

At least we now allow American tourists unlike the US allowing us, was just announced today the extension yet another month to Sept.21 and we just keep hoping perhaps then it will open as that's the day we would leave Canada to attend a rally in IL

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 02:05 PM   #35

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
ArriveCanada filled out correctly for my wife and I. It would not work at the Coutts Montana border crossing.
We had to go inside the Border control center. An agent had to connect my Android phone to his phone to get the ArriveCanada app to work, but I was 2hrs late
My wife and I were tested at Walgreens Layton UT. We received results back in two days we were in Missoula Montana. Somehow my wife's birthday was recorded incorrectly. she put in her correct birthday 3 times, she was then blocked from getting results; ( because they are trying to be a secure service )
we called and called the company help number; we wanted to unblock the service because we knew what entering the incorrect birthday number had done. ( we are still in Missoula )
On hold for ever no help. Called a dozen times
We called Walgreens in Utah to see if they could help, they went over their records and stated the birthday was incorrect on the form, they can't contact the testing company, they just send the test vile; their contact number was the same as we had.
My sister and her husband are Canadians, (were in the USA) were tested on Aug. 13th at Walgreens in Missoula Montana. He received his results 100hrs later. Need results back within 72hrs before crossing the border. My sister got her results back 120hrs later, at her home in Canmore Alberta
They, my wife and I weren't allowed to cross the border. Must be at the border under 72hrs of test, not results. I was the only one, with a valid negative result; We waited for my family to get their results, in Missoula, we were all too late.
My sister and her husband paid $350.00 us dollars at Shelby Montana clinic, to get a rapid test, went back to the border all is good they are allowed to cross; Oh,,,,they were random chosen to get a covid19 rapid test. If you refuse the computer generated test you get to go into quarantine. Three covid19 test in 4 days. all negative.
So, if you have plans and all is being done by you as you are requested, you may find you are, OUT OF LUCK.
My wife and I came back home thru Yellowstone park.

Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote