Camping across the border. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2021, 10:06 AM   #1

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2004 trillium outback 13ft
Alaska
Registry
Camping across the border.

Has anyone crossed the border into Canada since aug 9th and done any camping? I am wondering how that went, what was needed to get in and stay places, shop? I understand that if you are in Canada more than 24 hours you need to do an additional covid test.
Ak Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 10:18 AM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
You might want to read and follow this thread:
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ybe-96292.html
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 10:20 AM   #3

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
No current posts there. Darn.

Walt
Old 08-13-2021, 10:35 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak Ron View Post
Has anyone crossed the border into Canada since aug 9th and done any camping?
Canada is a big place. Parts are under Extreme Heat Warnings, some under Evacuation Order because of wildfires.
Old 08-13-2021, 10:48 AM   #5

Alaska
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
You might want to read and follow this thread:
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ybe-96292.html
Thanks, Gordon2. I went to that thread and found mostly vax/antivax debate. Not much actual info and not current. Looking forward to more info.
Old 08-13-2021, 10:51 AM   #6

Name: BigT
Trailer: Boler
Nova Scotia
I know American friends are here now at their cottages. I don't know if there will be any vacancies in Canadian Prov. or National parks because Canadians unsure of out of country travel did a lot of booking on line when the season opened. However, I am sure privately run campgrounds likely have vacancies.
BigT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 11:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Thanks, Gordon2. I went to that thread and found mostly vax/antivax debate. Not much actual info and not current. Looking forward to more info.

If you want accurate, up-to-date information, Google Canada Border Services.
Old 08-13-2021, 01:43 PM   #8

Name: George
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Registry
Most Americans wanting to come to Canada to spend some RV time will probably have done some research into how Canadians are dealing differently with the Pandemic than US border states. We are having to deal differently from what we are used to and that is the wild fires are probably as brutal as the ones in the US. Every province is dealing with the pandemic differently based on its own specifics with culture, habitat and resources. I would expect that most visitors would choose either the east or west coast areas. BC has sent out an invitation to all US citizen as follows:

"As you may know, areas of British Columbia are currently dealing with wildfires, and our hearts go out to the impacted communities. British Columbia is a very large and diverse province, and there are many areas that are not directly impacted and are open for business. Find out what you need to know before you go, including current border info, the latest local health orders & recommendations, and official resources for real-time conditions for wildfires, driving routes, and more at www.hellobc.com/know-before-you-go"
jokra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 04:01 PM   #9

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
We won't be crossing the border anytime soon and we aren't even allowed to say why, but we can still get close, so we are planning a trip North along the Great Lakes next month to catch the beginning of the spectacular beauty of the fall colors as they pass across both beautiful nations.

It is our sincere hope that the following promise of spring will bring with it faith renewed in the hearts of free men on both sides of that border and that the pall of darkness will be lifted so that we can once again reach across from both sides in friendship, without fear, and with our clear vision restored

God bless Canada
God bless America
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 06:30 PM   #10

Name: Duane
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
New Brunswick
Camping across the border

Hello
For what it's worth camping in Canada anywhere will require some Google time to check for specific areas you wish to visit . Each Province has a web site so I think that approach may be a good place to try and get up to date information on accomodations . You should not rely on 2020/2019 info either as Covid 19 has had a great effect on so many facilities it's hard to make contacts in some areas too. There's only a couple of months left in the 2021 season lots of private operations may not open at all ! These are trying times ,my Trillium is still in storage, maybe some trip locally soon ! Good luck to all & Happy Camping ! Be safe and be patient things will change to a new "normal" Cheers ! ,Duane
getaway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 05:46 PM   #11

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita17'Spirit Deluxe (aka: Tweaker's Casita)
Southwest Ohio
Registry
Camping Crossing the Canada Border from the US

Quote:
Has anyone crossed the border into Canada since aug 9th and done any camping? I am wondering how that went, what was needed to get in and stay places, shop? I understand that if you are in Canada more than 24 hours you need to do an additional covid test.
Quote:
I crossed the border yesterday (08/13/2021) via the Ambassador bridge in Detroit to attend the EggFestOntario rally (where I am as I type this). At 8:00 AM (yesterday) there were four Canadian port of entry booths open and I was #10 in line at one of them. 30 minutes later I successfully cleared the port of entry and I was on my way to the rally!!

This link suggests to use the Canadian ArriveCan application to submit your info. I had done that and the Canadian port of entry agent was able to locate my data to expedite the Q&A process.

This link has a list of different traveling situations for further info.

This link (from the above page) for fully vaccinated travelers says that you have to have received the second dose 14 days prior to entry *AND* that you have to have a negative COVID-19 test 72 hours prior to entry. It mentions that a test could be “completed on site or collect one to use later”; that didn’t seem to apply to me because I had documentation for a test that I had taken earlier within the 72 hour window prior to attempting to cross the border. It does mention that you need a “quarantine plan” (one of the screens in the ArriveCan application; in my case, I specified that I would remain on my campground site isolated from other Canadians.

This link reiterates info about getting a negative test 72 hours prior to arrival.

This link has info about the tests required.

This link has a list of advice for Canadians traveling abroad to the US.
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 07:58 PM   #12

Alaska
Registry
Thanks LarryB! This info was helpful and so was your personal experience in getting through. I am crossing the border from Alaska going to the lower 48 a week from now, and think i have it figured out . I hadn’t thought about a quarantine plan, but in the unlikely event that I did have to do that I will be sure and bring extra medications, supplies, etc. Thanks again.
Old 08-14-2021, 08:15 PM   #13

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Lots a people camping and draggin their rvs around in the Kootenays.
Can hardly see 2-300 yards for smoke that stinks bad. A course no camp fires. Some areas are struggling with Delta and going back to partial closings but they keep touting open for business,,,,?
Fred
Old 08-15-2021, 06:13 AM   #14

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Larry, thanks for the great first-hand border information. We will put our campground destination as our “if necessary” quarantine site, too.

Perhaps a dumb question…What is best to do about U.S. cash in Canada? Ten years ago we were advised to stop at an ATM and withdraw money in Canadian currency. Should we still do that or just carry U.S. currency?
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 09:42 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
Perhaps a dumb question…What is best to do about U.S. cash in Canada? Ten years ago we were advised to stop at an ATM and withdraw money in Canadian currency. Should we still do that or just carry U.S. currency?
With Covid 19, most people are paying with credit or debit cards, or ApplePay.
Old 08-15-2021, 10:37 AM   #16

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Our upcoming campground says they don't take credit cards...cash only.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 11:09 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
Our upcoming campground says they don't take credit cards...cash only.

Then, go to an ATM.
Old 08-15-2021, 03:46 PM   #18

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I've always done the ATM cash withdrawal. Then before crossing into the US, I added up all remaining Canadian cash and filled up with gas. Yes, Canadian gas is more expensive. But I didn't want to have $35.70 left over. Obviously, try not to have too much Canadian currency, or this method does not work.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 04:21 PM   #19

It's been a long time since I've done it, but I'd go to the beer store, pick up my product and ask for $60 cash when paying by debit. Saved me going to an ATM. But most businesses would rather you pay with a card during the pandemic, so I haven't had the need.
Old 08-18-2021, 10:29 AM   #20

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Keven most main branch bank here in Michigan have Canadian money and or can get it. Going rate is daily exchange rate plus 2.5 points at my bank.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote