Camping for Celtic Colours Oct 11-19, 2019 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2019, 07:51 AM   #1

Name: Ruth
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 13'
Wisconsin
Camping for Celtic Colours Oct 11-19, 2019

Has anyone attended the Celtic Colours music festival in Nova Scotia in October and camped? The festival is dispersed throughout Nova Scotia. I would love to camp at more rustic campgrounds or Provincial Parks, but some are closed at the end of September. Also don't want to be too far from the concert venues.

Suggestions?

https://celtic-colours.com/
RuthWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:06 AM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: !977 KingsleyGMC, 1968 Bailey Mikado
Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuthWI View Post
Has anyone attended the Celtic Colours music festival in Nova Scotia in October and camped? The festival is dispersed throughout Nova Scotia. I would love to camp at more rustic campgrounds or Provincial Parks, but some are closed at the end of September. Also don't want to be too far from the concert venues.

Suggestions?

https://celtic-colours.com/

First, get a copy from the tourism dept; 'The Doers and Dreamers Guide' if you didn't already. Second, add an extra week to the beginning and the end of your planned trip to account for the seasonal frost/leaf changing that you really want to see.
Once you cross the Canso Causway, you are entering another world. Ask anyone at a music event for a location of a place to park and you will get swamped with offers to stay in their driveway or in their home.lol Parking on the side of the road if you have a bit too much to drink works. It's a safe and handy option. There is no crime in Cape Breton; people leave the keys in their cars so they don't get misplaced them

I must warn you however that as an American, you should try not to act like one. Don't be loud, a braggart or cocky...not trying to be offensive, just these people live a very laid back life style and don't appreciate BS. And right now we are pretty full of Trumps BS...just sayin'.

An a lighter note if you need a place to park on the way through, contact me. I can offer you a bathroom with shower and an electrical connection
panhead_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 04:16 PM   #3

Wisconsin
Thanks for the advice. I am a mid-westerner, which means way too nice!

I will order the tourism guidebook for sure. Thank you.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:34 AM   #4

Name: Michael
Trailer: In the Market
Virginia
Mike what a great offer and advice. When I read some of the posts on here I want to hit a ‘like’ button so badly. I must hang out on FB too much, but I really appreciate the kindness and wisdom that I so often see here.
mbbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:29 AM   #5

Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuthWI View Post
Thanks for the advice. I am a mid-westerner, which means way too nice!

I will order the tourism guidebook for sure. Thank you.

I'm sure you've already been here, but if not:

https://www.novascotia.com/travel-guide

The Celtic Colors is predominately a Cape Breton event where the second most pleasant people on earth live. The Most pleasant people live in Newfoundland ! I unfortunately live 30 miles from the second-ers lol
Old 02-18-2019, 08:58 AM   #6

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
I know nothing about that area--I've not been any farther east than the Porcupine park area in the UP of Michigan and only recreating a bit years ago in B.C.

It looks tempting. Is there Celtic music around during the warmer months? That might be a great road trip to do, but I'd prefer a warmer time. I love the description of Laid Back.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:25 PM   #7

Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpat View Post
I know nothing about that area--I've not been any farther east than the Porcupine park area in the UP of Michigan and only recreating a bit years ago in B.C.

It looks tempting. Is there Celtic music around during the warmer months? That might be a great road trip to do, but I'd prefer a warmer time. I love the description of Laid Back.

If you are in Cape Breton any time of the year, ask around at one of the pubs if there is a kitchen party going on somewhere. I still wonder why Capers even build a living room. There will be 25 people in the kitchen partying , drinking, and 5 are playing the fiddle, with two in some other room planning a separation from the province. Travel the left route when you cross the cause way heading for the Cabot Trail (don't remember the number) ...through Maaa boo (Mabou) stopping at the Red Shoe Pub. You may spend the next week there if there is a Ceilidh happening ! https://www.cbisland.com/ceilidhs-kitchen-parties/

The Caper Breton story is right here: https://www.cbisland.com/

A word to the wise, the provincial drink here in all parts is Captain Morgan WHITE rum...if you arrive at a kitchen party and you get a mixed or a cool reception, check the color of your qt (750) of Rum ! lol

Road signs in Nova Scotia are in English and Gaelic...you are Not losing your sight!

Panhead_mike in NS
Old 02-18-2019, 10:49 PM   #8

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Thanks for all the info!

I try to play the fiddle, but am pretty bad at it.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:18 PM   #9

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead_mike View Post

The Celtic Colors is predominately a Cape Breton event where the second most pleasant people on earth live. The Most pleasant people live in Newfoundland ! I unfortunately live 30 miles from the second-ers lol
I agree the nicest people I ever met were from Newfoundland. I still remember an evening gathering in a hotel lobby at a conference some Newfoundlanders standing up, holding the hand next to them, and singing a song.