Camping South Padre Island soon - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-07-2019, 01:30 PM   #21

Name: Keith
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
I haven’t been to spi since the nineties, but I would like to tell you that Texas has very nice state parks that are often cheaper and more spacious than the KOAs. Although the KOAs are sometimes closer to your route. Just a heads up since not all state parks are as trailer friendly.

Keith2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:11 PM   #22

Name: Jim
Trailer: 1998 14" Burro WB
Illinois
My wife and I just came back from camping Mustang Island. While there we stopped in the Headquarters for the Lakeshore. I told the guy working at the counter I wanted to go to South Padre to visit the Sanctuary there.

He said it was nice but would not recommend camping on the beach. He recommended staying at one of the established campgrounds a little of the beach like KOA. He did not mention the killing but said they have been having trouble with drug runners coming ashore in South Padre and that you never know if will happen while your there. He said it has been serious problem. We decided to stay on Mustang. It was really great and we had zero problems.

Old 12-09-2019, 06:37 PM   #23

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1986 Bigfoot FT20
Michigan
Don’t know what your guy was talking about. It’s been relatively quite down here.
The problem area is more centered near Corpus. You wouldn’t like it here anyways.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:55 AM   #24

Name: Jim
Trailer: 1998 14" Burro WB
Illinois
He is one of the National Park Rangers so I suspect he had more info than most people. Why do you think I would not like it there?
Old 12-10-2019, 10:44 AM   #25

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Woodstock, IL
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Jim,
I believe Mike was pulling your leg a bit so that there is more room there for the rest of us!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 01:52 PM   #26

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetalkington View Post
He is one of the National Park Rangers so I suspect he had more info than most people. Why do you think I would not like it there?
Mike lives there in the winter. I would think he knows. We leave for South Padre a week from Friday. Anticipating fun times, and will look for the original poster.

CindyL
Old 12-11-2019, 12:31 AM   #27

Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
On Youtube, Grand Adventure has done a couple of videos on his travel thru south Texas including Padre Island area.

https://youtu.be/RJbq11F4pUo

https://youtu.be/SqY-UIfQnRQ

The Grand Adventure videos are all well done and worth watching. One of my favorite channels.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFb...7gUw27w/videos

Charles
Old 12-15-2019, 12:24 PM   #28

Name: Jeannie
Trailer: 16' Scamp 2017
Minnesota
Thanks Charles, The video's were very helpful.
Scamp Jeannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 12:27 PM   #29

Minnesota
Cindy, I'm grateful for all the wonderful helpful camping suggestions, some to be filed away for the next trip. I did want you to know that I have a reservation and am anxious to leave the snow and frigid temperatures.
Old 12-16-2019, 12:56 AM   #30

Name: Dave
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Fellow MN Scamp owner, been there, done that...
You are more than 2 days from there! LONG driving days are called for to make it in 3 days! About 1600 miles from Mpls/St Paul.
Beware the cross-wind black ice in Iowa and Kansas!
We stayed at Isla Blanca Park as it was 1/3 the monthly rate of the KOA. KOA doesnt have any beach, Isla you walk right out onto it.
The wind NEVER stops on the island. Salt spray covers everything. Our cushions were removed for general cleaning and it looked like we spilled a salt shaker under them.
Camping is cheap on the beach, but be aware if tide comes in and Scamp gets stuck its several hundred to get pulled out. Full-time job for big 4x4 pickups doing the pulling. Most bigger rigs park on sheets of plywood due to this.
We stayed thru Spring Break, the music still excessively loud until 4am! But never a problem with the kids themselves.
A hidden jewel is D's Pizza. Serves pizza and also a great spaghetti dinner.
On the island its self there is only one grocery store, priced accordingly.
We also staye a couple of weeks on Malaquite Beach, no hookups, have to move a little ways to dump. The showers are cold water only.
Since then we have come the last 4 years about 35 miles inland (Harlingen area) as half way between SPI and McAllen. Beach is 45 minutes away, anything else is within 30 minutes.
The Rio Grand Valley is known for its excellant hospitals for us "older" generation folks.
All the people are nice, never had any crime or other problems in the 8 years we spent winters here. If you go to Mexico, enter at Progresso! The other towns aren't safe.
By the way, its midnite now and its 74 degrees, but in 2 days a cold front arrives with lows in upper 30's!
nutter_scamp_owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 07:52 AM   #31

Name: Steve
Trailer: Currently Shopping
NW Wisconsin
We are life long Minnesotans who retired to Northern Wisconsin (Better Climate)
We never had much interest in anything texan and after reading the comments here spending Winters in Northern Wisconsin are looking better and better
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 08:20 AM   #32

Michigan
Good
Old 12-16-2019, 08:59 AM   #33

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by mszabo View Post
Good
I forgot to mention that Michigan is a great place in the winter especially the UP.
Old 12-16-2019, 10:24 AM   #34

Michigan
As is Minnesota
Old 12-16-2019, 01:06 PM   #35

Minnesota
I can’t tell you how grateful I am for the wealth of information you gave me based on your experience. Now it is a matter of what inconveniences (wind, blowing sand, noise, etc. ) I am willing to put up with. You gave me many options.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:09 PM   #36

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We are life long Minnesotans who retired to Northern Wisconsin (Better Climate)
We never had much interest in anything texan and after reading the comments here spending Winters in Northern Wisconsin are looking better and better
We must be close. I spend most my time in NW WI west of Cushing in what is called the Barrens. Yes, a bit of Gods country.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:28 PM   #37

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamp Jeannie View Post
I canít tell you how grateful I am for the wealth of information you gave me based on your experience. Now it is a matter of what inconveniences (wind, blowing sand, noise, etc. ) I am willing to put up with. You gave me many options.
Weather report, 82* wind is 18 mph-24 mph. Little hazy, no snow in site.
Old 12-16-2019, 02:53 PM   #38

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamp Jeannie View Post
We must be close. I spend most my time in NW WI west of Cushing in what is called the Barrens. Yes, a bit of Gods country.
We had friends who owned a farm on County Rd G just up the hill from the Barrens . We hunted deer in the area for many years before he passed away
Old 12-26-2019, 04:22 AM   #39

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
We found Jeannie's Scamp, and then Jeannie dropped by our site yesterday. We both have front row sites at the KOA. Jeannie could sit and watch for dolphins from her camping chair. I saw 5 in the water she looks out on yesterday.

Weather is great this year (Last year, it sucked.). We visited Brownsville Zoo and went swimming on Christmas Day.

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
Bigfoot South Padre 2019.jpg  
Old 12-26-2019, 05:50 AM   #40

Minnesota
A Big Shout Out to all the Fiberglass Rvers who messaged helpful responses to my 1600 mile MN to TX adventure on short notice. Left MN (actually WI where I keep Scamp) Dec. 21, weather awesome the whole way, road quality not so great and had no problems on the road. On arrival no 12 volt power (plug undone) and a leak in the fresh water to toilet (still not resolved), however everything else couldnít be better. Not crowded on beaches, temp. In mid 70ís, sand castle displays. All is good. Found Cindy and Kevin a few sites away. Thanks to all again.