Camping South Padre Island soon - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-29-2019, 04:37 PM   #1

Name: Jeannie
Trailer: 16' Scamp 2017
Minnesota
Smile Camping South Padre Island soon

Hi I am Jeannie, new to posting but need camping suggestions for South Padre Island. I plan to leave Minnesota December 21 and arrive SPI the 23. (Weather Permitting). I am open to public, private, gov, or beach ideas. I plan to connect with my kids and grandkids the 23rd or as soon as I get there. I travel with a 50 lb. Airedale with a 2016, 16’ Scamp and a TV 2014 Ram 1500. I looked on line and find plenty of possibilities just looking for recommendations of places you might have stayed. I am 81 and deal with my trailer issues the best I can. Have towed it thousands of miles but never to Texas. Thanks in advance.
Scamp Jeannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 05:08 PM   #2

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Hi! Welcome to the forum. I have zero experience with South Padre Island other than a desire to also spend time there within the next few years.

I look forward to reading the suggestions of others so that I can use them myself when my turn comes.

It is inspiring to know that you are solo-camping at 81. You give me hope!
Best wishes for a Merry Christmas with your family!!!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 05:18 PM   #3

Minnesota
Thanks for the greeting. I hope I have many more miles of independence.
Old 11-29-2019, 07:52 PM   #4

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
We stayed a night or so (boondocking) at Andy Bowie County Park, right on the beach. It kinda depends on how much you're willing to spend. There are commercial campgrounds in the area.

Be careful. Were I you, I would not venture too far up the beach with plans to camp overnight. I'm sure you've heard this news story.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 08:38 PM   #5

Minnesota
Steve

Thanks, I saw that listed when I was looking on line. A friend had forwarded me the “news story” which is troubling. My son in law wants to try a couple nights on the beach. I can check it out before they fly in. If that’s the case it might be a fun place to try.
Old 11-30-2019, 06:03 AM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Welcome Jeannie,

We are leaving IL, heading for South Padre, at about the same time. We are registered for the KOA there over my Christmas break. We stayed at this KOA last year and liked it. It is kinda tight, so we reserved one of the spots with pads this year after what we encountered there last year. It is clean, has a pool (if the weather cooperates. Last year, except for a few days, it was cold and rainy.), a nice restaurant, a boat rental, a dockside music venu, and dolphin watching off the shore.

If you choose the KOA, look for the 28’ Bigfoot Silver Cloud. Yes, our camper is molded fiberglass, although we are not immediately recognized as this, because our camper is the largest molded one made (for managers, naturally).

Hope to run into you. Last year, we ran into my uncle at this campground who I have not seen for 40 years. I guess he comes to this campground every year. His site was on the water, so he could watch the dolphins from his camper.

CindyL
Old 11-30-2019, 07:34 AM   #7

Minnesota
Cindy

The KOA sounds like a great option. And , probably safer for the time I am on my own. Thanks for the complete info. Will see what is available and will definitely have a look around for you. You won’t miss me, I am a short, white haired old woman 🤗
Old 11-30-2019, 08:23 AM   #8

Registry
Kevin checked the KOA from Dec 23 to Jan 2 just now and said that there are 6 sites left. I know my uncle rolled in just before or after Jan 1 the way a lot of the snowbirds do.

Best make your reservations quickly. We saw lots of dogs being walked there. Also has a laundry and an exercise facility. Walled in too. We felt plenty safe there.

CindyL
Old 11-30-2019, 08:40 AM   #9

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Greetings! I'm Cindy L's spouse, so I'm piggy-backing on her comments. Just for your peace of mind, that incident with the murder and trailer theft was about 125 miles north on another Padre Island near Corpus Christi. Not close.

Coming down from Minnesota (not sure where), you might want to check out the KOA near Joplin, MO. There is also one just east of Tulsa, OK, and just east of Dallas, and just east of Austin, TX. We always try to find KOAs because they seem pretty consistent and safe. We are keeping our driving to about 350 miles per day, so we'll be stopping more often than you! Our route is taking us from near Rockford, IL to St. Louis and south from Tulsa. The OK and TX routes will not be interstate for us once we leave the Tulsa area. Driving 55 - 60 mph is fine with us.

Have a great trip and maybe we'll see you at South Padre!

Kevin
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 08:42 AM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Have you given thought to NE Texas ? Far enough North to avoid the border issues . We have several friends from Minnesota who used to go to south texas in the winter but after having armed intruders try to break into their motorhomes they decided to just avoid the area .
Arizona seems to be the new go to spot in the Winter
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 09:00 AM   #11

Registry
We saw no border issues on South Padre. Yes, there was a border wall along the Rio Grande, about an hour from us.

Most of the people at this KOA we saw last year match your description, white-hair with dogs.

BTW, any chance we met you at Algonac in 2018?

CindyL
Old 11-30-2019, 11:22 AM   #12

Name: George
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Registry
Hi, i have stayed at the South Padre Island park ,PO box 2106, 100 Park Road, South Padre Island, Texas, 78597 several times and found it very accommodating and friendly but I am trying to remember when I was there last? It is located on the southern tip of Padre Island and had clean washrooms and a nice boat launch. Try their number (956)761-5494 and see if they are still operating. I am not sure if they were the site in the RV trailer & tow vehicle robberies recently?
jokra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 11:36 AM   #13

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Jokra,
That incident was near Corpus Christi, about 125 miles north. Different Padre Island.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 12:06 PM   #14

Name: jean
Trailer: northern lite
Texas
south padre island

Hi , I am coming from Canada to SPI since the last 15 years at Isla Blanca Park some hundred feet from KOA . This camping sit on the best Texas Beach . It is safe , quiet , beautiful and cheap price compare to KOA . Friend of mine is boundooking every night at the end of road 100 , north of the island if temperature is favorable . The police patrol twice a night and he never been in trouble . this road is about four hundred feet ALONG the beach , but much more secure. You must try it .
morinjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 02:51 PM   #15

Name: Glen
Trailer: Casita 17' Liberty Delux ...sold
Texas
Another place you may want to consider is Matagorda Island. Further north up the coast and much more secluded and less commercial. Checkout the Matagorda nature center at the Lower Colorado River Authority (LCRA). The campground is great and reasonable and it is where the Colorado river empties into the gulf of Mexico.
glens2422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 11:35 AM   #16

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Long Island village Port Isabel, Tx Gated community

https://www.google.com/search?q=long...age%2520Rental
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 11:40 AM   #17

Name: Dale
Trailer: Scamp 13
Ohio
Hi. The beach is usually not very good this time of year, but it is free. There is a beautiful National Park Campground at SPID. There are also several beach camping areas near by. The Scamp should be fine in the sand. Have fun.
Dale Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 11:50 AM   #18

Name: Greg
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
RE: South Padre Island

Hi Jeannie -

I live in San Antonio, and my wife and I spend ALOT of time in South Texas along the Gulf of Mexico ... usually in our 13' Scamp. First off, the homicide took place near Bob Hall Pier, which is a very public place. This was NOT a common occurrence. Second, in 1959 Texas passed the The Texas Open Beaches Act, which guarantees beach access to include driving and camping. Thousands of Texans spend their vacations camping along the beaches of the Texas Gulf Coast, to include both South and North Padre Islands.

As far a South Padre Island goes, one local secret is Adolph Thomae Jr. County Park which sits at the northernmost edge of the Laguna Atascosa National Wildlife Refuge. The park features full hookups, many of which are right on the Arroyo Colorado which empties into Laguna Madre. The other county RV park which is right on South Padre Island is Isla Blanca County Park. Its nothing special, but you can stroll to the beach easily from there.

Reservations for either can be made online: Cameron County Parks amp Recreation Department The Cameron County Parks System Mission is ldquo To provide safe, quality outdoor recreation opportunities to the citizens and visitors of Cameron County at an affordable price and to develop and protect

We prefer to stay at Padre Island National Seashore, which is on North Padre Island and is part of the National Park system. They have two campgrounds (Bird Island and Malaquite Beach), but neither has full hookups (only restrooms, showers and a shared water source). This time of year does not require A/C in Texas, so its an ideal time for either of these campgrounds. Malaquite Beach is magnificent - miles of undisturbed seashore to stroll along. In addition, you can trek down 70 miles of beach to find your own boondocking spot, right on the Gulf of Mexico. I've seen everything from tents to $250K Class A busses on the North Padre beach.

First come , first served: https://www.nps.gov/pais/index.htm

Also consider Mustang Island State Park, which is also right on the Gulf of Mexico. 48 sites with full hookups, and five miles of protected beach.

Reservations: https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/mustang-island

Further up the coast a bit (as mentioned)v is Matagora Island Nature Park, which is run by the Lower Colorado River Authority (LCRA). It sits at the junction of the Colorado River (Texas has its own) and the Gulf of Mexico. We kayak in the back waters, and find the fishing to be excellent.

Reservations: https://www.lcra.org/parks/Pages/mat...ture-park.aspx

- Greg
Greg-in-Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 12:12 PM   #19

Name: Warren
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Padre Island camping

My wife and I just came back from camping done there. In fact we were there when the unfortunate couple were murdered. We have kinfolk down there who are in law enforcement. The belief is the victims stumbled on a drug deal not involving them.
Padre Island is very safe and this was not the norm.
We camp at the Texas State Park on Mustang Island which is just north of Padre a couple of miles. Very nice state park with electrical hook-ups, water and a dump station. You are not on the beach so getting stuck in the sand is not an issue. The campground is just across the dunes. Spaces are wide and maneuvering is not a problem. Class A's have no trouble. contact me and I will give you the names of our favorite restaurants (not fancy)
Warren
W Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 12:18 PM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by W Johnson View Post
My wife and I just came back from camping done there. In fact we were there when the unfortunate couple were murdered. We have kinfolk down there who are in law enforcement. The belief is the victims stumbled on a drug deal not involving them.
Padre Island is very safe and this was not the norm.
We camp at the Texas State Park on Mustang Island which is just north of Padre a couple of miles. Very nice state park with electrical hook-ups, water and a dump station. You are not on the beach so getting stuck in the sand is not an issue. The campground is just across the dunes. Spaces are wide and maneuvering is not a problem. Class A's have no trouble. contact me and I will give you the names of our favorite restaurants (not fancy)
Warren
This lady is going to South Padre Island.

CindyL