Campsite orientation - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2013, 11:45 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester
Registry
Campsite orientation

Our trailer has the door on the passenger side as do most fiberglass trailers. Most campsites have the table and fire pit on the passenger side when the trailer is backed into the site. In July we had occasion to use a tent site because there were no serviced sites available. The table and fire pit were on the opposite side from the door when the trailer was backed in, which was awkward. We solved the problem by turning the trailer sideways on the pad. Have any of you had similar experience? How did you solve it?
Bedouin Camp, Tumalo State Park | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP6452fxsm.jpg  
Old 07-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #2

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
My last trip I had a pull-through and didn't really like the idea of having the trailer door facing the street (I have a rear door) so turned the trailer CCW to have the back door face the campsite, away from the street.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #3

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
On our very first trip with our trailer we didn't know ANYTHING. We were just happy to have been able to back up the thing AND THEN we realized we were on the "wrong" side of the table. NO PROBLEM, we just stayed put 'cause we were so exhausted after backing up the trailer! Ha, ha!
Attached Thumbnails
007.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:20 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
That's why we have a swivel wheel on the tongue jack so we can rotate the trailer if we want. Doesn't work real good in dirt though!
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:28 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
That's why we have a swivel wheel on the tongue jack so we can rotate the trailer if we want. Doesn't work real good in dirt though!
Get Mary to stand on the back bumper, Bob.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:57 PM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Rear door floorplans rule...

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:12 PM   #7

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Rear door floorplans rule...
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:44 PM   #8

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Lol
Old 07-28-2013, 10:18 AM   #9

Trailer: Compact Jr
Registry
This is the reason I haul along my trailer dolly; on paved lot, I don't even have to back- in just drop and hook, and move it to where SHE wants it.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:29 AM   #10

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Preferences and reality necessarily go together. My preference is the door open toward the picnic table (that assuming there is a picnic table). I really don't much care about the fire pit, rarely have a fire.
On the rare occasions where there's a picnic table and the position of trailer aren't to preference then so be it. If I really cared I'd drag out my roll up table and put it where I wanted it. One must keep thing is perspective. The trailer placement vs table/fire pit is pretty low on my concern list.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:27 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
The trailer placement vs table/fire pit is pretty low on my concern list.
Byron:

In this particular site on one side of the paved area (passenger side when backing in) there was an open area with some grass but no place for a table. On the other side was a table and large gravel area. I was the person backing the trailer and happy enough to walk around it, but my wife wanted some privacy and the door close to the table. I turned the trailer.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Van Snell View Post
Byron:

In this particular site on one side of the paved area (passenger side when backing in) there was an open area with some grass but no place for a table. On the other side was a table and large gravel area. I was the person backing the trailer and happy enough to walk around it, but my wife wanted some privacy and the door close to the table. I turned the trailer.

I've seen something close to that a couple of times, but it's not common. Mostly in older campgrounds that were designed for tents without any considerations for trailers. I've only encountered that once where I wasn't able to either move to another site or have enough room to do what I wanted. The last place I camped at (about 2 weeks ago) the table and the fire pit were behind the trailer.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #13

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
We just encountered that with a double site, we were on the right hand side & our table & firepit were on the wrong side for our trailer door etc. First time I have experienced that .
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:07 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Question

We've had a double site in a provincial campground several times. It requires some coordination to position the trailers with the tow, but we've managed.
Attached Thumbnails
fishing 0909 campsite web.jpg  
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:06 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
We do like baglo when camping with friends, and jockey the RVs around so they somewhat face each other, and have at least one fire pit located in an appropriate spot. Often we only need one table too.

We alone, many times I have jackknifed the trailer to a nicer orientation to the site, and if the site is level and hardpacked, will use the jack wheel to move it a bit too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:34 PM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Those that can pickup the tongue, by hand and rotate the trailer have it made. Once I drop my trailer, hookup to services... I'm done. But my camp chair moves!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:23 PM   #17

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking Wrong-way Frederick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
My last trip I had a pull-through and didn't really like the idea of having the trailer door facing the street ...
At the Annual Lake Casitas Rally the "Bass" campground is a large circle with an open lawn in the middle and most of the campsites in the outer ring across the access road from this lawn. About 6 campsites are semi-circular pull-through bordering this lawn in the middle along one side of the circle, with the fire pit and picnic table between the lawn and the campsite driveway. The utility pedestal is between the access road and the campsite driveway. I have come to like one of these pull-through sites (#8) in an odd sort of way.

My Fiber Stream's body is not level on its frame but leans about an inch toward the passenger/curbside. If the site is perfectly level side-to-side I need to put each passenger/curbside wheel on one yellow leveling "Lego" brick to bring the refrigerator and floor to level. It looks weird on a RV Resort concrete pad, but it works.

The 1st time I pulled into site #8 the "correct" way I noticed 2 things wrong:
  1. The trailer was 2-1/2" out-of-level toward the passenger/curbside
  2. As a gregarious person, I felt I was turning my back to all of the other campers.
#1 means 3 layers of Lego bricks to level the refrigerator and a stepladder to enter the trailer. I did not have a stepladder with me nor enough Lego bricks to stack 3 layers high long enough for 2 axles.

So I left the site and drove around entering the access road from the "wrong" direction and pulled the Fiber Stream into the site backwards. The trailer was perfectly level, no Legos required! And I could set up my awning to face the access road and visit with anyone out walking their dog or just walking.

This however has its own consequences. I now have a 50' - 30amp extension cord to reach the pedestal, 50' of TV cable to reach the pedestal, and 50' of white hose to reach the water spigot. And I ignore the fire pit and picnic table behind the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
000_1037.jpg  
Old 07-28-2013, 06:59 PM   #18

Name: Jim
Colorado
Registry
Campsite Orientation Improvement Action Plan

I call it the Campsite Orientation Improvement Action Plan. Sometimes I get a spot that just begs to have the camper rotated for an even better view, especially with a stream in the back yard.

The first photo shows the camper as backed straight in. I was not able to jackknife it as there was no more room on that side. Instead, I just swung the hitch around by hand as there was a slight slope there. To get it back out later, I put a medium grade chain on the hitch, hooked it to the pickup and just pulled it back around.

I was tempted to do the same at the other site, but that was in a developed National Forest site and the host may not have been too pleased with the marks in the sand.
Attached Thumbnails
NF 4.jpg   NF 6.jpg  

NF Campground.jpg  
Scamper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:24 AM   #19

Name: Norm I want to thank all the Kings horses and all the Kings men
Trailer: 73 Scamp 13'
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Those that can pickup the tongue, by hand and rotate the trailer have it made. Once I drop my trailer, hookup to services... I'm done. But my camp chair moves!
That's that's my wife Kathrine lets me go camping with her. When I can no longer swing the Scamp it's off to the Farewell Bend Campground for me.
Ngrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:44 AM   #20

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I picked this beautiful campsite which really wasn't trailer friendly. I wanted to sit under my awning and look out to the lake so I worked for about 20 minutes jack-knifing the Scamp into postion. As you can see there was a tree that caused a little difficultly but I did it.
Attached Thumbnails
2003-4-11 Millerton Lake site #23 CA 2.jpg  
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote