Cape Point (Hatteras) Campground Empty - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-08-2016, 05:32 PM   #1

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Cape Point (Hatteras) Campground Empty

I got here about 2 pm and there was 1 dining tent up, but it disappeared a little later. A mini-wini pulled in about 4pm and when I drove around the campground at 5 pm, we were the only 2 sites in use. I think 1 or 2 vans pulled in about dusk, but that's it.

I've got my own private bathroom and shower. Many of the sites are still a little water logged, but I found one that wasn't bad. I've got my Clam set up in a completely dry area.

Suits me because I'm going to spend most of the day sitting in a lounge chair reading with a cooler of beer sitting next to me. The sound of the surf and the smell of the salt air may get me out for a walk on the beach.

If any of you travel to Hatteras Island or Ocracoke Island, they both have community radio stations that are fantastic. A very eclectic mix of music.

With a senior pass, campsites are only $10/night at Cape Point. Other NPS Cape Hatteras Seashore campgrounds are a little more. Bathrooms and cold showers, no electricity, dump station on road leading out.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:55 PM   #2

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Huck, this sounds like a place I would like to visit.

As a matter of fact (and slightly off topic), the DH hit Cape Hatteras ten years ago TODAY on his motorcycle. He made that trip in UNDER 80 HOURS from Cape Mendocino in California. He pioneered the ride known as the "Cape to Cape 80," but few (if any) other Ironbutt riders have tried it.

I stayed home and made posts to a website updating friends and family on his progress (as in, still alive).

Oh, BTW, he was SEVENTY when he did this

Anyway, if I ever visit Cape Hatteras, my goal is to NOT be on the back of a motorcycle, and preferably to have reading material and beer nearby as you are doing, so enjoy!
Old 09-08-2016, 09:21 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Huck, sure sounds nice. Wish we could join you but I'm trying to get everything in shape for our trip to Glacier later this month. Are the mosquitos a problem after all the rain? If you get a chance, ride through the Frisco CG to see if it's as empty.

With the extended season this year, I'm sure we'll make it out there before they close. Hope to meet up with you one of these days.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:02 PM   #4

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
great find!!!

too bad it's so far away from me....LOL

funny you should mention the good radio station.....Tofino (about as far as you can get from you location on this continent) has an absolute great radio station too!!!! I wonder if being right out on the edge of a big ocean has something to do with it.....

CHMZ-FM - Tuff City Radio 90.1 FM Tofino, BC - Listen Online

enjoy...
Attached Thumbnails
westk.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:47 AM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
Sounds perfect Huck, thanks for sharing. My dear wife (who was bit reluctant about getting a trailer at first) put the outer banks on the top of our list, so it's nice to know this time of year is a quiet one. Enjoy!
Old 09-09-2016, 09:51 AM   #6

Virginia
We should try to plan something for October or November. I worry if the NPS doesn't get enough revenue, they might go back to closing campgrounds right after labor day.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:40 AM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Our most memorable trip to the Outer Banks was a stay at Oregon Inlet campground. We were with inlaws and using their pop-up camper. While we were over at the marina store a micro burst blew through, blew away some tents, put the pop-up next to us on it's side, took the top off a couple other pop-ups and actually moved a couple other trailers. We only had the screws for the wing support pull out.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:26 AM   #8

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
When we stayed on the Outer Banks, it was in the springtime, also off-season. Had pretty much the whole campground to ourselves as well.

Those cold showers were toooooo much for me! Instead, I'd bring my electric kettle and solar shower bag to the washroom with me. Used the electric outlet in the washroom to boil the kettle and used the hot water in the solar shower bag, which I then took with me into the shower. Worked out fantastically!!!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:35 AM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We've stayed at Oregon Inlet 3 times during our summer vacations.
Great spot for us, as it was close to Nags Head where we have friends, grocery store and the fish market. About 60 seconds from Coquina Beach.

With the popup, due to the wind, I always put some guy lines on each corner post, pinned with 24" stakes. It stopped the roof from constantly moving and shaking and made the camper much more quiet.
Now when the first big thunder cell got right over us, boy I was glad to have them!
They may not have resisted a microburst, but we've seen a few storms where the wind blew pretty hard and nothing moved, and we felt much more secure.
See the wind pushing the canvas:

Nasty one coming:

Now I miss the OBX. Next time we go it'll be with the Trillium! Can't wait for the cold showers!!
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 01:34 PM   #10

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
When we stayed on the Outer Banks, it was in the springtime, also off-season. Had pretty much the whole campground to ourselves as well.

Those cold showers were toooooo much for me! Instead, I'd bring my electric kettle and solar shower bag to the washroom with me. Used the electric outlet in the washroom to boil the kettle and used the hot water in the solar shower bag, which I then took with me into the shower. Worked out fantastically!!!
Sometimes you can find hooks in the shower to hand\g the solar bag from.
Old 09-09-2016, 01:36 PM   #11

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl V View Post
We've stayed at Oregon Inlet 3 times during our summer vacations.
Great spot for us, as it was close to Nags Head where we have friends, grocery store and the fish market. About 60 seconds from Coquina Beach.

With the popup, due to the wind, I always put some guy lines on each corner post, pinned with 24" stakes. It stopped the roof from constantly moving and shaking and made the camper much more quiet.
Now when the first big thunder cell got right over us, boy I was glad to have them!
They may not have resisted a microburst, but we've seen a few storms where the wind blew pretty hard and nothing moved, and we felt much more secure.
See the wind pushing the canvas:

Nasty one coming:

Now I miss the OBX. Next time we go it'll be with the Trillium! Can't wait for the cold showers!!
I always tie down my Clam, in addition to the regular tent stakes. I'm trying a new method this time and so far, so good.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:06 AM   #12

Name: Butch
Trailer: Casita
Maryland
update on Oregon Inlet... they now have WARM showers and new bath houses. 14 bucks with the geezer pass.
bookbinder52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:51 AM   #13

Thanks for the info Butch. Any idea if they've made this upgrade to any of the other NPS campgrounds there?

We're planning one more trip to the OBX before they close for the season; most likely 3-4 days around the second week in November. If anyone else has any interest, post here with date preferences.

Al
Old 10-19-2016, 06:02 PM   #14

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Cape Point (Hatteras) Campground Empty

Ocracoke is still cold as of October 5, but we talked to a ranger and warm showers are on the upgrade list there.
The warm showers at Oregon Inlet were nice, we hit it on the way to Ocracoke and back.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 05:02 AM   #15
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Just back from a week on Ocracoke. Both Hatteras and Ocracoke were hit pretty bad by Matthew. They were still cleaning up with piles of junk lining the roads. On Ocracoke they are using the swimming beach parking lot as a stageing area. Campground was fine. The Variety store was open and well stocked. Fishing was lousy . Came home to snow flurries . Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:25 AM   #16

Michael - Thanks for the update on the showers.

Raz - Sorry we missed you again. If things work out, we'll be at the NPS Frisco CG for a few days soon.

Al
Old 10-27-2016, 06:21 AM   #17
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al & Cindy K View Post

Raz - Sorry we missed you again. If things work out, we'll be at the NPS Frisco CG for a few days soon.

Al
When it comes to the outer banks, our trips are rather spontaneous. We usually travel on the weekend to avoid traffic around Philly and pick up supplies on the way. Ticks have been an issue for us at Frisco so we tend to go straight to Ocracoke. Going about the same time each year means we run into many of the same folks. And we like the close proximity to the ocean. That said, I suspect one year our paths will cross. Enjoy the sun shine. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 06:44 AM   #18

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
too bad it's so far away from me....LOL

funny you should mention the good radio station.....Tofino (about as far as you can get from you location on this continent) has an absolute great radio station too!!!! I wonder if being right out on the edge of a big ocean has something to do with it.....

CHMZ-FM - Tuff City Radio 90.1 FM Tofino, BC - Listen Online

enjoy...
Thanks for posting - bookmarked.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote