Cedar Falls, Iowa - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2010, 08:54 AM   #1

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
We will be in Cedar Falls, Iowa in June. Could someone please recommend a campground? Thanks!
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:30 AM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Good info here http://www.cedarfallstourism.org/camping_parks.asp
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:02 PM   #3

Thank you Kevin! I've been to that site and also asked for more info to be mailed.

I'm hoping someone on FGRV has some personal experience camping around Cedar Falls. We'll be there several days so if anyone can recommend outdoor activities, museums, historic sites, etc, that would be great, too! (Or what to avoid!)
Old 05-13-2010, 12:46 PM   #4

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Darnelle, you don't say what you'd like to do, but there's quite a bit in the area. There's some really nice bike trails in and around the area. The UNI Dome on the University of Northern Iowa campus is worth seeing. There's a nice park right along the Cedar River in Evansdale called Deerwood Park. The rates are $15/day for full hookups, less if you don't need all the services. It's right at the intersection of Highways 218 and 20 and it's easy to get to everything in the area from there. There's a new water park just south of that location.
uoh the County parks tend to be a little more rustic. The only park in Black Hawk County I've stayed in is Deerwood, but that was a few years ago. Because it's a municipal park, it's well patrolled, has a campground host, is well maintained, and has nice amenities.

The Cedar Falls/Waterloo area has a lot to offer... you should have a good time there!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:03 PM   #5

Thank you Roger! That's exactly what we like -- the outdoors, more rustic campgrounds (although we do need electricity), bike trails and interesting sites!

We'll check out those campgrounds. Hadn't found them during my internet search.

Thanks again!
Old 05-13-2010, 02:07 PM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
When we were in college in Cedar Falls many years ago, we ate at "The Brown Bottle" many times. It is still there, still serving brownie pie. That was to-die-for when we ate there.

CindyL
Old 05-13-2010, 07:25 PM   #7

Quote:
When we were in college in Cedar Falls many years ago, we ate at "The Brown Bottle" many times. It is still there, still serving brownie pie. That was to-die-for when we ate there.

CindyL
That sounds fantastic! This is turning into a nice extended-family mini-vacation and are thinking about one group meal at an interesting place. Thank you Cindy!
Old 05-13-2010, 07:53 PM   #8

Registry
Too bad "The Broom Factory" isn't still there. We often ate there for special occasions like anniversaries (Both of us went to the University of Northern Iowa in Cedar Falls.). It was on the banks of the Wapsi River. You could sit at the window. Leftover bread was fed to the "critters" out the window, so you could watch all the birds and a few other animals eat it. Cedar Falls has had several floods since then, though. I was at a conference in Iowa two years ago when the 500 year flood hit there. People from Cedar Falls at the conference who lived on the hills of Cedar Falls said that it was so wet that water was percolating through the concrete of their basements. That was the third "hundred year" and "five hundred year" flood in 20 years since we used to eat there. I imagine the restaurant would have been flooded every time.

Have fun! Iowa is home, and I always love going back. It is not all cornfields and not all Iowans are not the stereotypes that people think. They are like people from MN . I am from Iowa while Kevin is from MN.

CindyL
Old 05-14-2010, 10:29 PM   #9

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
My wife and I both graduated from UNI also. Whoohooo, UNI!! I grew up near Cedar Falls in LaPorte City.

The Brown Bottle was the "fancy" place to take your date for prom.
My wife and I always liked to eat at Mainly Lou's in downtown Cedar Falls when we were in college there in the early 90's. I think that it is still there.

I would recommend George Wyth State park as it's very near Cedar Falls.
http://www.iowadnr.gov/parks/state_park_li...eorge_wyth.html

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 04:52 AM   #10

Registry
I didn't remember The Brown Bottle as fancy. We often went there to meet after class on the way home. We commuted to UNI for grad school from Elkader, IA. Both of us got our MAs there in the '80s; Kevin continued post MA there in the 90s while I went to Iowa.

We always hit the UNI bookstore when we are back to replenish our UNI memoraibilia. Darnelle, depending on you purpose in being in Cedar Falls and who you bring with you, the Hill at UNI is always interesting to go through. The bookstore is on the Hill near the UNI campus. It does, however, have the establishments that are frequented by students.

CindyL
Old 05-15-2010, 08:08 PM   #11

I love college campuses! Can you explain more about "The Hill"? Is that an establishment or a general location?
Old 05-15-2010, 11:25 PM   #12

Registry
Location - of most of the drinking establishments of UNI students, as well as some interesting stores, including the bookstore.

CindyL