We drove west across the north shore of Lake Superior 8 years ago en route for BC from Toronto. It is a beautiful and amazing trip and we really enjoyed it. Some recollections at random:-
- the road is twisty and you will encounter some reasonably steep hills. Also a fair amount of truck traffic. Don't expect to make a high average speed.
- the Provincial Park camp grounds in Ontario tend to offer more privacy and space than the private operations, more focused on enjoying nature. You can do your research on them at Ontario Parks
Well equipped parks like Pancake Bay will be busy during peak summer months of Jul and Aug.
- the private campgrounds range from the truly awful to the good, just like in the US!
- bring bug repellent
- be bear aware if you stop in a lonely spot
- don't expect to find cheap gas (or anything else) up there. Delivery routes are long.
It's well worthwhile, enjoy a once in a lifetime trip.