City of Rocks State Park - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2007, 03:43 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Talking

City of Rocks State Park in Southwestern New Mexico is a great little area, a unique spot. No need for reservations, however, you may reserve a few spots. There are some water and electric spots and a lot of boon docking among the rocks. Elevation 5,250 feet; dress warm for mornings, evenings & nights, could be warm in the days in the Spring and Fall.
It could be a little hot in the Summers during the day.

http://www.emnrd.state.nm.us/PRD/cityrocks.htm

http://www.emnrd.state.nm.us/PRD/documents...ofRocks_001.pdf

Overnight Camping (per vehicle, per night)
Primitive site $8
Notes: Primitive campsites offer no special facilities except a cleared area for camping. Sites may include trash cans, chemical toilets or parking. Developed sites offer additional facilities such as electric and sewage hookups.

Developed site $10
Developed site with electric hookup $14
Electric hookup with annual camping permit $4
Sewage hookups $4

Facilities Activities
Visitor Center Camping
Group Shelter Picnicking
Developed Sites (52) Star gazing
Electric Sites (10) Relaxing
Interpretive Exhibits Wildlife Watching
Restrooms Hiking / Biking
Showers Hide and Seek Among the Rocks
Photography
Painting & Sketching

Showers are new and free.

Faywood Hot Springs is about 1 mile away, a rustic natural geothermal resort in southwestern New Mexico, located between Silver City and Deming, has many outdoor public and private soaking pools for those who wish to partake of its healthful and rejuvenating mineral water baths. There are separate clothing-required, clothing-optional (naturist) and private bathing areas.
http://www.faywood.com/Contents.htm

Silver City is about 30 miles away and the Gila Nat'l Forest.
http://www.silvercity.org/

Formed of volcanic ash 30 million years ago and sculpted by wind and water into rows of monolithic blocks, City of Rocks State Park takes its name from these incredible rock formations. Cactus gardens and hiking trails add to this unique destination. The rock formations at the park are so unique that they are only known to exist in six other places in the world. Imaginative visitors may see the rock formations as a small city, complete with houses, chimneys, courtyards, and streets.

Until 1200 A.D., Mimbres Indian roamed this area and left arrowheads and pottery shards as evidence of their culture. Spanish conquistadors also spent time in the area, carving crosses into the rocks.

Visitors can see a sampling of southwestern plant and animal. The park's desert botanical garden is home to cow's tongue and bunny ear cacti, Yucca, and towering Century plants. Deer, antelope, javelinas, and jackrabbits are frequently seen in the area, along with over 35 species of birds, ranging from Golden Eagles to finches.

Directions: From Deming of I-10, take US 180 northwest 24 miles, and then go northeast on NM 61 for four miles to the park access road.

From I-25 north take the short cut from Hatch to Deming, take US 180 northwest 24 miles, and then go northeast on NM 61 for four miles to the park access road.
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 10:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
This is a great place. I've only been there once. I also recommend Silver City and the Gila Cliff Dwellings. This is a great little ride up to the Cliff Dwellings. As you travel to the cliff dwellings there is a small town about 6 miles out of Silver City called Pinos Altos (translated Tall Pines) I believe there is a small fort there, but I have not been there. As high school kids me and a friend used to bicycle up to PA from Silver City. Windy and trecherous now im sure.

Also There are the Cat Walks in Gila/Reserve
dsheets70 is offline   Reply With Quote